Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-09-10, 06:12 AM   #1
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to CanalStalkin
Default Abu round reel question

Hey guys. I have a newer ABU 5000c round reel and was wondering if this reel would make a suitable cranking reel paired up with like a crankin' stick or another Med/mod rod. Money is TIGHT around here and really trying to make due with what I got. I just don't have the cheddar to drop on a new reel. I plan on using it for all trebles pretty much and just really don't know much about these things. How well do they throw lighter baits? I was talking a to a gentleman about a "super tune", would that help matters?
CanalStalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 09:53 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm not really sure which one's you're talking about, but check out the new Abu Garcia KALEX. They look pretty nice IMO.
Old 01-09-10, 10:09 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes, you can throw you cranks in them. They do okay with lighter baits if you keep it lubricated.
They really work for just about anything except pitching. It is difficult to get the proper thumb control.
Old 01-09-10, 10:22 AM   #4
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Canal : I sent you a pm where you can find me

The 5000c is a great reel I only use ABU old School round reels and used a 5000 c for a few years
currently I am using
3x5600ws: whiffle spool version of the c4 line
1xF50 Record, norm,ally I would not buy such an expensive reel , but Speedbead sold it to me new for 90 bucks and it allows me to throw a little lighter bait

2 fellas I can reccomed to supertune them are Kevin at pro reels and you should know J Francho from the other board. They clean off what usually is over lube and crap from the factory and hand polish and correct tolerances inside the reel, I have just sent the s 5600's off to Kevin. Its a one and done deal, after that you just keep them clean and lubed and they will out last you!

Rods; I use 4 rods all the same 4 X 7 ft Fast/MH Daiwa Pyrocons, a lot of fellas prefer some or all glass rods , to slow down the hooksets with trebeles and cranks, that being said has not been by experience with rods I do slow it down by using mono, more about that later.
I can not give you an honest and first hand review of the rods I am currently using as this will be my first year using them I can give you a few i have used for this purpose over the years that worked great

1. BPS Cranking Stick , I think they are still around 40 IM6Graphite/glass mix; excellent but a bit heavy, and I wanted to spend a few years testing the technique specific thing,in the end i was not sold on the idea

2.Browning Silaflex: also the same also sold by BPS however these rods are all glass

3.Cabelas Pro Guide IM6; now I have to qualify this answer as I have owned 2 for years, I use them in salt water around Brooklyn, they have " upgraded" this year and I have not fished the newer model

4.ONLY WHEN THEY ARE ON SALE FOR 30 to 40 BUCKS: Cabelas Fish Eagle II, excellent rods for trebles

bottom line: I do not buy into technique specific rods, thats for them to sell more rods
a 6'6" or 7 ft MH/Fast rod will cover all but the heaviest swim baits, and with ease

USE MONO : I use 10 lb either Trilene Xl ot Stren Original, it really helps forgive a too rapid hookset . I did notice a huge difference for me in fish to the boat vs braid , in the year i tried it vs Power Pro Braid ( fine product not for me) I use Mono for every way i fish anmd it works\

These are some inexpensive options for you and I can safely tell you this from years of experience in using these products/

ps the ABU BCX and KALEX lines are brand new at the 60(BCX) and 80(KALEX) pricing points, I have found it better to wait for the 2nd edition of most reels as they work the kinks out,the Kalex is marketed for saltwater use primarily, that does not mean you can not use it for freshwater, but it is more than need to spend, based on how you put your question.

good seeing you again mr CS

Last edited by muddy; 01-09-10 at 11:01 AM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 03:37 AM   #5
Garry2rs

The old round Abu's are good value for the dollar.
Be sure to oil the worm gear on the level wind often to keep the pawl from wearing out.
Since the level wind doesn't disconnect during the cast, it does a lot of high speed traveling that the level wind on more modern designs don't have to do.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 04:11 AM   #6
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tip! Would it be unreasonable to expect to throw a small bomber square A with this reel?
Old 01-11-10, 08:40 AM   #7
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalStalkin View Post
Thanks for the tip! Would it be unreasonable to expect to throw a small bomber square A with this reel?
It would be a little difficult to throw that Bomber without some extreme mods to the real. It would be good on the larger deep divers like the DD-22 and DD-14. The reel just doesn't have enough bearings and a good enough cast breaking system to handle the lightweights. They are great on stuff like the 1/2 oz rattletraps and big deep divers. Especially on the deep divers because of the low gear ratio, it allows the bait to go to it's maximum better than high speed reels. I would be more inclined to use that reel on something like a carolina rig, jigging spoons and jig fishing (flipping and pitching, yes you can pitch with it when using heavier jigs and a little practice). The reels work very well with braided line as long as you have a mono backing on the reel. You just can't beat an old ABU round reel for dependability!
Old 01-11-10, 08:50 AM   #8
muddy

Good SDtuff Bob! You can have a Reel Mechanic upgrade the Line Guide, and its mechanism and go to a better Spool Bearing set up for about 35 a reel, but i find it still doesnt do a complete job with smaller cranks and Rapalas. I keep my only spinning rig handy for those.
Old 01-11-10, 08:38 PM   #9
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

I was afraid of that, since I am shorebound I plan on throwing only small shallow cranks. Maybe ill just have to suck it up and find a good deal on a used citica or somethin. Unless someone has another recommendation.
Old 01-11-10, 08:40 PM   #10
muddy

BPS ETREME, 10h ,under 60 when they go on sale and I would think that would be pretty soon.
Old 01-12-10, 07:01 PM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
I was afraid of that, since I am shorebound I plan on throwing only small shallow cranks. Maybe ill just have to suck it up and find a good deal on a used citica or somethin. Unless someone has another recommendation.

I love my abu reels, but as already mentioned, if they (the rounds) aren't tuned up situation (as any reel), you will just about guarantee yourself frustration throwing lighter crankbaits especially if they aren't aerodynamic to begin with. As a contrast, some cranks such as Rapala DTs and Xraps cast beautifully out of the box, while the Floating minnow or Shap Rad 5 might be more of a challenge. The aerodynamics of the lure in question also are important to consider.

This does not mean that abu rounds suck, its a limitation that can have without some help and skill from the angler. I did get mine tuned by reel mech and he upgraded the bearings and drag. Now clean and with better bearings, my round can cast as well as my curado bsf. It DID NOT and COULD NOT hold a candle to it before that.

Your line size and rod will also play a role in how well your rig with cast the lighter lures as well as your experience, skill, and thumb.
Old 01-12-10, 07:03 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
BPS ETREME, 10h ,under 60 when they go on sale and I would think that would be pretty soon.

BPS Extreme reels are very good for the money. A cousin of mine has 10 of them and that is all he uses and he loves them. They come in just about every way you would want.
Old 01-12-10, 08:36 PM   #13
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

I have an extreme combo for my t-rig/jig setup, and I think they are great. I will keep my eye out for one more and a crankin stick. I need to FORCE myself to throw cranks and learn them. I throw plastics 99% of the time.
Old 01-12-10, 08:45 PM   #14
muddy

Your from Califronia , you should be throwing 1/2 lb. swim baits at behemoth spawning lady hawgs!
Old 01-13-10, 09:01 AM   #15
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Most people here are going to say go with the a REVO s, and I've gotta agree, but not having used either I can't really say.

But the new BPS carbonlite reels look amazing, especially for under 125!

Check 'em out, they seem like sweet little reels.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.