Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-20-10, 08:14 PM   #1
DergaSmash
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A return to bass fishing after a 10+ year hiatus.

Hello everyone-

I'm brand new to the forum and would like to say hi. I have quite a few questions for you guys. I grew up in Minnesota, which basically means I grew up fishing. Fishing took a backseat when I was in junior high when my dad passed away. My mom was never the outdoor type and we lived in the metro area of the twin cities, while when my dad was alive, he lived on South Center lake. Anyways, with graduating high school then working and going to school, I never really had the time to go. Then I got married and joined the Army. So other than a few scattered opportunities, I haven't really been fishing in a long time.
Well now that things have settled down a bit and I have had the opportunity to meet some people here at Fort Polk where I am stationed, a buddy of mine is taking me fishing next Saturday night at Vernon Lake. It's pretty big lake, a resevoir for the area, and I'm told the fishing is usually pretty good. My bass fishing experience is limited to freshwater lakes in Minnesota, where the average size largemouth is a bit smaller than here in Louisiana, or so I am told.
My gear is very general purpose, but has worked well the few times I have used it. I have an Abu Garcia Cardinal 104 reel on a 6' Med/Light Rhino indestructible glow tip rod, and 10lb Trilene XL. Now I have only used my rig a few times since I bought it but I did well when I got to fish back home. I caught a few bass but I was mostly after Crappies/Walleye.
So here come the questions.
1. Can I fish for Louisiana largemouth with the rig I have?
2. If so, what type of lure/bait would you recommend?

I have a few spinnerbaits that worked well when I was younger. I'm a big fan of inline spinners as there is nothing in a Minnesota lake that won't take em except for Sunfish. I've never fished a plastic worm in my life. If I wasn't using a spinner/inline spinner, I was using nightcrawlers/waxworms/leeches/shiners. Please help, I know that this Saturday will be a learning experience anyway, but I would like to be prepared a bit for it.
DergaSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 08:58 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the fold Derga. First thank you for your service. There are many here who will give you information to help you out. I think the set up you have is a start. It will work for some of the many ways to catch bass. I started out similiar to you. Fishing for walleyes and crappie. Learned many things here. A few other guys should be chimming in soon to give you the info you seek.

Last edited by bassinbob; 06-20-10 at 11:55 PM.
bassinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 09:38 PM   #3
DergaSmash
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you. I fished for largemouth a lot when I was younger in Minnesota. A 1/4 oz chartreuse fuzz-e grub with a gob of nightcrawler worked really well in the early am or sundown. During the day it was always a spinner or rooster tail. Never failed. Now I am being told/hearing that plastic worms are what is key down here. Texas rigging or wacky rigging. I just don't think I can flip worms into heavy cover with my gear so I am looking for an alternate method that works.
Old 06-20-10, 09:41 PM   #4
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

yes thank you for your service to the country. as far as baits i would through a wacky worm which is a small hook placed in the center of a stick worm, and then i would try some type of top water if u are fishing at night pop-r, or buzz baits
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 10:14 PM   #5
DergaSmash
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a pair of hula poppers I am also looking into getting a jitterbug.
Old 06-21-10, 06:16 AM   #6
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey, welcome to the boards!

Your rig sounds fine to me. I used nothing but UL gear, until last month when I got my first bait caster, and I have pilled in some really nice fish.

Like you I took an extended break from fishing, and just got back into it last year. All I can really tell you is to keep at it, don't limit yourself on your lure choice, and keep asking these guys questions. This is one of the best groups you are going to find on the net, and they are always happy to help!
Old 06-21-10, 07:33 AM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First off, thankyou for your service to this country, and secondly, welcome aboard! As far as lure choices are concerned, the 4 inch senko stickbait worm wacky rigged is a good choice as stated. You can buy weedless wacky worm hooks for fishing in weedy cover. I have some made by Gamakatsu and they work great. Not sure if your outfit would have the power to set a hook with a t rig, but it's worth a try with smaller worms. I'd definately pick up a couple 1/4 spinnerbaits. I prefer white with gold blades. A small surface bait would be a good idea. I do extremely well with the Heddon Baby Torpedo twitched along the surface. And lastly a few smalleer crankbaits would be in order. The Bandit 100 and 200 series are great cranks, and a few Rapala Shad Raps would also be a good addition.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 11:41 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service! It's men and women like you that keep us free so we can be free to fish.

Your rig will work fine. For somebody just getting back into fishing I agree with the recommendation of a Senko type stickbait. It is just that-a bait that looks like, well, a stick. Fished weightless if is a fantastic fish catcher. I haven't got time right now, but will post some pictures later so you can see what we are talking about and how to rig it. It is one of my go-to lures and just flat catches fish. There is no need to go buy a ton of stuff right now-that will come. Just a few of the baits recommended here and you will have a good start. These guys know their stuff and will not steer you wrong.
Old 06-21-10, 08:56 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I'd hafta say that any advice I could give, has already been given!
Over a decade away from bassin? I took 9 years off myself, and just got back into it in 08.
Welcome to the place to be! Don't be afraid to ask questions. We do expect pics of the monster bass you'll be catchin though!
Old 06-21-10, 08:59 PM   #10
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
We do expect pics of the monster bass you'll be catchin though!
I'll second that!
Old 06-22-10, 09:29 PM   #11
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I'd hafta say that any advice I could give, has already been given!
Over a decade away from bassin? I took 9 years off myself, and just got back into it in 08.
Welcome to the place to be! Don't be afraid to ask questions. We do expect pics of the monster bass you'll be catchin though!

Ditto here. Seems like alot of us took time away and then got back into it....for me it was about fifteen years off and then back to it three years ago. You'll learn alot from reading the various posts here...spend some time browsing but just remember....there is no real right or wrong technique or rod/reel. Its whatever works bests for you. Have fun and welcome to the board
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 01:58 AM   #12
DergaSmash
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks. The amount of info on this site is insane. I picked up some zoom finesse worms to try the wacky rig. Does anyone know where to get the o-rings to rig it that way?
Old 06-23-10, 07:17 AM   #13
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome, and thank you for your service. Did you say hula popper!? My favorite way to catch fish there. There's nothing like watching a bass thump that bad boy! If you can get out early, I have pretty good luck with them as the sun comes up then they sort of die off hitting it after a hour or two. The best luck I've had with them is fishing them around pads and other cover late in the evening from about an hour to sunset on past dark.

The rest of the guys can give you better advise on the rods and reels than I. I'm not very picky or experianced in that department. I have a bps baitcaster combo, bps spinning combo, light weight spinning rig, and some zebco 33's for bream or what ever I happen to catch on it. I been known to throw a hulla popper with a zebco 33 cause I just don't care and hooking a 3lb bass on a 33, from the pads is just plain fun stuff. lol

I wish you luck in fishing and welcome back to the sport.
Old 06-23-10, 06:48 PM   #14
bamabassman

welcome to THE site man. as you have already read, there is a lot of info for you. ask al the questiosn ya feel ya need to. i like to say that there is no stupid question (except ones concerning waterdogs,lol), only stupid answers. have fun. and don't take the joking to heart, it is all in good fun.
Old 06-23-10, 08:09 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Derga-you can get the O rings at Bass Pro-they sell a device called a wacky-o tool or something like that. But, there is nothing wrong with just hooking the worm itself. You can also use twist ties like come with trash bags. They work on the same principal as the O-rings.
Old 06-25-10, 08:14 PM   #16
haverodwilltravel
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been Fly Fishing for them most of my life (Largemouth, Smallies, Peacocks, Stripers). About 25 years ago I got rid of any spinning and casting gear and chased everything from Tarpon to Steelhead exclusively with a fly rod. Did 38 states and about a 100 species.
Come September I'd blow my arm out (getting old)....so a couple of years ago I started back with occaisional casting and spinning trips in lakes, ponds and Surf (I have a Ranger Flats Boat and a Gheenoe)....now I make it all the way to bird and duck season without a blow out and I enjoy the variety again. *G*
Back then, I think the whole tournment mentality is what had burned me out (Trust me, I have nothing against it...but I'm a competition junkie and it was ruining my buzz...and back then you either embraced it or you felt left out.).
Now I'm back up to over a 100 rods and reels...a Ranger, 2 canoes, 2 Hobie pontoons, a gheenoe, etc...but I compete with the fish only.....well ok sometimes I play first fish, biggest fish and most fish a $1 a catagory with my son...*GGGG* .....but I'm back to enjoying it on my own terms, my own way. Have Fun!
haverodwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 11:01 PM   #17
DergaSmash
BassFishin.Com Member

I will have to take a look at that tool. Otherwise I may check the plumbing section of the hardware store. Either way, I like the idea of saving some bait. Plastics can get kind of pricey.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.