Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-02-11, 08:26 PM   #1
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 2 new rods!

I was looking at fishing stuff on craigs list and I found a fellow that was selling 2 abu vendetta rods, one is 7'3H xtra fast tip and 7'6H fast tip. They were in great shape and even better price(a steal) so I got them. Im usually using a MH rod or M but I thought I cant beat the price. I have a question when using a stiffer rod is it easier to yank the lure out of the fishes mouth or a better hook set? Im using the 7'6 for mainly jigs (15lb floro) and the 7'3 for soft plastics ( 12lb floro). What do you guys think?
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:32 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like either would be a killer flippin/pitchin rod. Maybe even a swimbait rod if it's soft enough.

Setting the hook can be harder with a H rod, it can also get you a better hook set. If you setting the hook from far away, and when you're using a a big heavy hook, the a H is great. If you're fishing a cranks, spinnerbaits.. or anything fast moving then you're better off with a MH or M.

Oh they would be sweet frog rods too!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-02-11 at 08:43 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:35 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The 7'6" should make a great jig or pitching/flipping rod. My jig rod is similarly rated at 7'8" H/F. I'm also using 15lb FC. The 7'3" would also make a great jig or heavier plastics rod; it would also make a good frog rod with some 30lb+ braid.

I find that the longer and heavier rods really help to give you a better hookset. I think as long as the fish has the lure in a position to get hooked, the heavier rod isn't going to yank it out of the fish's mouth. If the fish doesn't have the lure or you don't give him enough time, I don't think you're much more likely to yank the lure away with a heavier rod than you are with say a M or MH rod.

BB
Old 06-02-11, 08:55 PM   #4
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advise and Im glad to hear that because those rods are sweeet. It might take a little longer to get use to because they are super sensative ( sorry for the spelling).
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 10:03 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apt79 View Post
Thanks for the advise and Im glad to hear that because those rods are sweeet. It might take a little longer to get use to because they are super sensative ( sorry for the spelling).
haha!! No worries man, I didn't notice!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.