Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-14-07, 08:44 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What do you think

A buddy of mine aske me this the other day and I couldnt really give him a answer. When drop shotting why do they always use a leader generally half the lb test of the main line. Now I did tell him to enhance the baits movement. That was the only thing I could come up with. What are you guys responses. I havent really done this technique, going to since I will be fishing Bull Shoals and Norfolk but down home it isn the type of water that this would work in in my mind.
Old 01-14-07, 08:54 AM   #2
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That would be my guess Laser but if your already fishing light line the way it is, usually 8lb test, how much lighter do you want to go?
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:17 AM   #3
pig n jig

So you can break off when the damned thing gets snagged without losing a whole lot of line. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:19 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Ok I'll agree. Just wanted the opinions of someone that has used the technique more than I have.
Old 01-14-07, 09:50 AM   #5
pig n jig

Sorry,I didn't mean to sound so harsh.I absolutely hate drop shotting, but it is something that will work when other methods fail.An absolute must to know when late fall tournament fishing here in NY State.An absolute blast in February when the yellow perch are bunched up and feeding. P N J
Old 01-14-07, 09:53 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

No buddy you weren't harsh at all. I just really didnt know what to tell him. I am of the mindset that if your fishing 10,12 or even 25lb test you got the drag set for that lb. It didnt make a whole lot of sense to have to set the drag for the leader. But that comes from the fact that I havent used the technique hardly at all. And the very few times that I have I am sure I looked quite ridiculous.
Old 01-14-07, 09:56 AM   #7
Bender

I used 12lb or so Power Pro for the main line and 8lb. floro for the leader. Not so much so that it will break off, but just for visibility. I was told to use these type of weights so if they get hung up you can pull the line out of them. I never got hung up that bad though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:46 AM   #8
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

They use a flouro leader....its more invisible= more bites...not so it breaks off or whatever.....plus they use a swivle...my personal favorite is 12lb braid mainline with a 6lb flouro leader with a swivle....sensitive as hell.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:38 AM   #9
pig n jig

bassdozer.com/articles/dropshot-first.shtml
Old 01-14-07, 11:40 AM   #10
pig n jig

bassdozer.com/articles/dropshot-garland.shtml
Old 01-14-07, 11:41 AM   #11
pig n jig

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/hh...rop-shot.shtml
Old 01-14-07, 11:43 AM   #12
pig n jig

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/dr...-hotshot.shtml
Old 01-14-07, 11:45 AM   #13
pig n jig

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/hawaiirig.shtml
Old 01-14-07, 12:51 PM   #14
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A leader? On a dropshot? Guess I must have missed something. I've never used or even heard of using a leader on a dropshot. Just a Palomar knot, long tag end threaded back through the hook eye so the hook points up and the weight. No leader-just the main line. Sure you aren't talking about a C-rig?
Old 01-14-07, 01:02 PM   #15
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
A leader? On a dropshot? Guess I must have missed something. I've never used or even heard of using a leader on a dropshot. Just a Palomar knot, long tag end threaded back through the hook eye so the hook points up and the weight. No leader-just the main line.
Uhhhhh....next time we're out take a closer look at MY dropshot rig. That's #20 braid with a #12 pure Fluoro leader, attached via, yes, the dreaded J-Knot.
Why? well, not just for the invisibility factor but also that the worst thing than can happen is a lost leader, hook, and weight...without loss of expensive braid. Even were I to use other than braid I'd still use a leader of lower-test fluoro if for no other reason than to avoid loss of line level on the reel.
Also...increased sensitivity, greater setting power and that's important because of the Avid AC69MLXF being a light rod AND the fact that I use a WEEDLESS Gamakatsu Finesse hook, so I can fish the rig in cover.

Maybe you mean a leader OFF the main line?

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 01:28 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Flyrod, you don't tie both the braid and the leader to the dropshot hook, which is how I understood the question. You tie the rig on the leader with your beloved j-knot up above the hook on the main line.

If we are talking about using a leader tied to a heavier main line and then tying the dropshot rig on the leader I misunderstood the question-I understood it as tying the heavier line to the dropshot hook with a lighter leader also tied to the dropshot hook for the weight in the same manner as using a swivel on a C-rig.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 01-14-07 at 01:36 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 01:32 PM   #17
zooker

some buy that man a cup of expresso please...

zooker
Old 01-14-07, 01:36 PM   #18
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Flyrod, you don't use a leader tied to the dropshot hook which has the weight attached, which is how I'm understanding the question-you tie the rig on the leader.

If we are talking about using a leader tied to a heavier main line and then tying the dropshot rig on the leader I misunderstood the question-I understood it as tying the heavier line to the dropshot hook with a lighter leader also tied to the dropshot hook for the weight in the same manner as using a swivel on a C-rig.
I thought that's what you meant, buddy. But, upon further thought, if a fellow (or fellowette) chose to use a weight that was NOT quick-release the lighter leader from the hook on down might be wise...given the price of good hooks

FR (eases out of the door...will be back)
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 01:36 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Good idea, Zooker.
Old 01-14-07, 07:00 PM   #20
pig n jig

Jeepers cats Fly rod, I understood what you said about avoiding the loss of line on your reel. If you use the same line throughout your drop shot rig and your hook snags into something, you may lose several feet of line above the hook when you finally get the line to break off. A few episodes of this will leave you with a short spool of line, especially if your drop shotting deep water. PNJ

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.