Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-07, 10:49 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Crankbait Line

guys, I'm looking for a new crankbait line. I've used Trilene XL for years but it just doesn't hold up to heavy cranking. Flyrod has recommended a type of P-Line which I will try next time out but am looking for other line recommendations as well. I'm talking heavy duty cranking here-DT-10+, DD22-you get the idea. Thanks!
Old 01-12-07, 10:51 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I have used trilene XL for a couple of those cranks you mentioned, seems to hold up well for me. Sorry, but its the only kind of line i use for cranking.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:56 PM   #3
Rebbasser

Me too, tb, but today I lost a great crankbait due to line snapping trying to remove a loop in the spool and with the wind we just couldn't find it on the lake. I've had failures with this line before but as much as I like it it just doesn't hold up to the hard use I put it through.
Old 01-12-07, 11:29 PM   #4
zooker

umm reb if i am diggin deep in these lakes with a big bait i use 8 pound ande. beating brush piles and shallow water trash 12 pound ande..

zooker
Old 01-12-07, 11:35 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Zooker, I knew that without even asking . May give that a try-haven't used Ande in a long time, but it was good line when I did use it.
Old 01-12-07, 11:57 PM   #6
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Silver Thread AN40
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:26 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

i'm with flyrod on the p-line, they make a good quality line. i prefer flourocarbon for crankbaits because you will get a little more depth and it has no stretch which is a big help for hooksets on a long cast. flourocarbon is also almost invisable under water and i fish table rock a lot which is gin clear. i bet you could read a newspaper on the bottom in 10 feet of water. the down side to flouro is that you won't want to use it if you throw topwater on the same rod, it sinks and will kill your action of a topwater bait.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 08:41 AM   #8
pig n jig

Rebbasser, I use Maxima 8 lb test for deeper cranking.It works very well for me.I used P-Line for a long time, it is good line, just got a spool of 12 lb P-Line Evolution for christmas.I have fished with it a few times, very low stretch, might be the ticket if you were to buy a lighter test line for deep cranks.The other thing is alot of people are using floro lines for crankbaits as Carolina mentioned. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 09:43 AM   #9
FlyRod

OK, goldangit! I've got Reb's reel here at my dwelling (I bought Quagmire's house, the one on "Family Guy". The ladies love it.) Once it dries out (Don't ask, but it wasn't Fly that caused the soaking.) I'm gonna put on some #12 P-Line CXX, AKA Extra Strong. I DID recommend P-Line FloroClear, but...
Before we totally confuse the issue, let him try the CXX, then the FloroClear, then wot-tever the H--- else.
I've used the Extra Strong in green for the last four years and find it to be tough, abrasion resistant, with excellent knot strength with a well-tied Palomar or Trilene knot. The downside (as with all the tougher monos,) is that it's stiffer, especially in cool weather, is of greater diameter than the wimpier lines...XL, for example...and thus does not contribute to maximum cranking depth.
BTW, the diameter of Ex-S #12 is 0.37mm/0.0148". FloroClear #12 is 0.31mm/0.0124...a significant difference. My choice, unless for fishing in the truly nasty stuff, would be FloroClear. Just sayin'.
True, while pure fluoro would create aggravations with most topwater baits, perhaps excluding BuZZZZZZZZZZbaits, there are two other factors to consider.
One, in any given test, the tougher the line (especially mono) the greater the diameter AND the degree of "Slinky Toy(TM)" effect. The negative effects of these are most apparent when using topwater plugs, especially "walk-the-dog" types, or in common soft plastics applications.
Two, a "compromise" line in the same test weight, such as P-Line FloroClear #12 v. Ex-S #12, offers a much reduced diameter, not so fast a sink rate as a pure fluoro, AND (to me, at least,) better "behavior" re coiling.
Experience in the field has shown that me that I have nothing to fear from the use of Floroclear with most topwaters, most especially my beloved Super Spook Juniors. There MIGHT be some minor problem with the smaller poppers or Tiny Torpedos, but most folks use 8-10 test for those, so the problems, if any, are further reduced. And...Casting distance will favor the Floroclear. If casting a given distance takes less effort, casting accuracy is improved!
Soooooo...here's wot I'm gonna dewww...I'll present Reb with one Daiwa 153HST reel spooled with the #12 Ex-S and another (same make and model) spooled with #12 FloroClear. Instead of all this hoopla, we'll let HIM try them both in identical applications. I've already switched the lender reel from #30 braid to (?), so all that remains is to tidy up and relube (Hot Sauce) the drowning victim and apply the #12 "other". Done deal! No arguments! I've turned off my phones and answering machine AND put in earplugs AND a friend is picking me up a few minutes to spend the day with her (Help MEEEEEE!)
So there!

F.Rod
Professor of Line-0-Dynamics
Hook U.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 11:14 AM   #10
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

I don't know what fly rod just said (on the count of being too lazy to read it ) but I usually use 10 or 12 lb Silver Thread AN40
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 01:45 PM   #11
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

I've found the P-line CXX green to be danged near bulletproof for cranking. It does have some memory, but unless you are using spinning gear, memory really is not that big a deal. I throw 8 or 10 pound CXX for all my cranking applications, and have been really happy with it for some years now. That line is tough, does not stretch as much as a lot of other co-poly lines, and is awfully strong. I'll crank dd22s in the rocks on that 10 lb test all day with the utmost confidence in my line.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:44 PM   #12
pig n jig

Fly, Words Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around in the empty space upstairs,collecting more debri formed into a sentence, but nothing happens after that ? Well except for the constant state of confusion ? Maybe the elevator ain't reaching the top floor, or its the instant headache I get whenever I see how many words you have typed ? I hated the CXX Xtra strong, because the mentioned words some memory, didn't even begin to describe the feeling I got when it was first spooled. Its terrible once its new, loses "some memory" after it has boated some fish.P N J
Old 01-13-07, 05:20 PM   #13
keithdog

Hey ya Reb, I've used Trilene XL myself for many years and have never had any trouble. But if you are having trouble with the XL, maybe try the Trilene XT. It's supposed to be more abrasion proof. I'm going to try some flourocarbon line this year and see how I like that. I have to agree with damnpeoples though. I love Silver Thread AN40. But it's not available in my area very often. I only use the green version and when I find it, it's almost always the clear.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 09:24 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Fireline.

Lizards
Old 01-13-07, 10:30 PM   #15
islandflyfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

P Line CXX Extra Strong! I use 10 lb test.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 11:24 PM   #16
Vabass22

Gamma 8-14lb copolymer.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 01:22 PM   #17
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Fly, Words Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around in the empty space upstairs,collecting more debri formed into a sentence, but nothing happens after that ? Well except for the constant state of confusion ? Maybe the elevator ain't reaching the top floor, or its the instant headache I get whenever I see how many words you have typed ? I hated the CXX Xtra strong, because the mentioned words some memory, didn't even begin to describe the feeling I got when it was first spooled. Its terrible once its new, loses "some memory" after it has boated some fish.P N J

Spellcheck on Aisle Four!
As for the empty space, look in a mirror.
Yes, I am a bit wordy, but I do make my points CLEAR, unlike a few posters whose efforts are easily misunderstood or simply incomprehensible due spelling/grammar/or malaprops more worthy of a room full of chimpanzees with typewriters.
The Devil, it is said, is in the details. Ergo, I attempt to make certain that no one, when perusing my posts, is in doubt as to what I intend to convey.
Why do I go to such pains? (I hear you ask.) Well, knowing that some of our fellow forumites are young and/or new to bass fishing, and possibly on limited budgets, I feel obligated to help them avoid errors that drain their piggy-banks, cost them opportunities to fish successfully, and so on.
For all that, since I seem to so irritate you and a miniscule number of others, I'll simply bow out for an indefinite period. I will not only not post, I won't even read...PMs included. A month or twelve off will be nice.
Mind you, I'm not offended, nursing an injured ego, or in any way chastened...try "bored".
I'll stick to bassin' with Reb, Jesse, and Curious George. After all, that's the main attraction...fishing...not quibbling about it.

Toodles,

FlyTheAbsentRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 05:04 PM   #18
pig n jig

While you were riding around in that overbuilt motorized garbage can, could you hear yourself talk ? Rebbasser, I have no doubt that your going to Heaven, Bob Vila never took on such a project. I am thinking, I would sooner quit fishing.Think of each post as a symposium, keep it short and sweet, save bandwith...........Sooner , or later, I will be up to speed with your posts(Sweet Jesus, I hope not) until then,go on typing to your hearts content......... P N J
Old 01-15-07, 05:54 PM   #19
wormdragger
BassFishin.Com Member

My mistake... I thought I was on a FISHING site.
wormdragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 06:30 PM   #20
Rebbasser

You are, wormdragger-for the most part . Welcome ot the forum, BTW!

Thanks for the input, fellas. Flyrod is fixing me up with some P-Line CXX to try and since I like Berkley products I decided to try Trilene Maxx along with it. I'll keep you posted!
Old 01-15-07, 07:45 PM   #21
pig n jig

Welcome wormdragger, Stick around and Fly will chat you ear off. Reb, Please let me know what you think of the Maxx line.I keep thinking about going back to Ande, But I have this this vision that I'll end up like Zooker......
Old 01-15-07, 07:48 PM   #22
skeeter944

welcome to the forum wormdragger!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 08:58 PM   #23
Vabass22

If you dont like that line reb, I would try a copolymer, as it has many advantages over mono for cranking!
Old 01-15-07, 09:13 PM   #24
Rebbasser

That's why I'm trying it, Va-to see if I like it. From what I've seen the copolymer has a lot of satisfied customers.
Old 01-15-07, 09:40 PM   #25
Vabass22

Oh, for some reason (who knows why), I thought P-Line CXX was mono.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.