Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-08, 11:06 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Testing some new (to me) stuff.

Well, on my last trip to Bass Pro (we all know where this is going) I ended up leaving with a Shimano Crucial Dropshot Rod, a Shimano Sahara Reel (old models on clearance), some Berkley Fireline: 10lb, smoke. Oh, and some KVD line and lure. Though I'd let ya know how everythings working.

7'2" M Shimano Crucial Dropshot rod: This rod is awesome! I've used it for DS, shakey head, and finesse jigs to far. shakey head anf finesse jigs could use a MH rod, but it does work. The rod is Super sensitive, and the exposed blank foregrip fits my hand awesome. Not to mention the split grip look freakin sweet. 5 out of 5.

Shimano Sahara 2500: I was originally planning on getting a Symetre, and kind of wish I did now. I saw they too were on clearance, and asked to see one to put on my rod. They guy brought me out the NEW model. It is awesome. It incorporates some higher end shimano spinning reel features. Sooooo, the baitmonkey did everything but get my wallet out and pay for it, but it was $100 and I didn't have enough. So after loosing him in the numerous crankbait isles, I returned the fancy reel and went to look at the ones on clearance. The Symetres were $70 I think and the Sahara's were $40. I decided to save the $30 and go with the cheaper one. The reel is smooth, but the line doesn't sit well on the spool. 3.5 out of 5.

Berkley Fireline, 10lb, Smoke: I was hesitant about getting this istead of a 10lb braid. But after talking to a guy who really liked, I got some. I fished with it a bit before applying the KVD L&L. Memory wasn't bad, but it still had some. Very sensitive as well. I plan on using a fluoro leader with it, so I went with smoke rather than crystal. It is a bit stiffer than braid as well. I had it down on the river tonight fishing for smallies (sort of), and it seemed to hold up well in the rocks. since using it the first time I've used the KVD L&L 4 times and it seems to really help. I can't wait to try it on some fluoro. While down on the river tonight, I watched a brand new chatterbait going soaring off into the distance to find that my knot slipped. I even tied the palomar. I must've done something wrong. 3.5 out of 5, and I still like braid better.

KVD Line and Lure: Like I said, it makes a noticable difference. w/o trying it on straight fluoro yet, I give 5 out of 5.

BB

By the way, I think we should have a section on here for product reviews to help other members decide on whether they want to buy something or not. That way, we get advice from people we trust (for the most part ) instead of the majority of the idiots that review products on BPS and Cabela's.
Old 09-19-08, 11:22 PM   #2
keithdog

Sounds lik some good stuff the bait monkey talked ya into. I second the motion. A product review page is a great idea.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 12:29 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

a product review page would just have all of us telling each other to get some Power Pro.
Old 09-20-08, 08:15 AM   #4
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
a product review page would just have all of us telling each other to get some Power Pro.
True to a tee , BB I still have fireline spooled on a real and haven't had any knot issues but I am also using #20 . thanks for the report on the stuff .

Jim
Old 09-20-08, 08:36 AM   #5
MIbasser

BB, glad you like your new rod. I have one as well and love it! I used it mainly for DS but now I'm using it for wacky rig. It seems to be the only way I can catch a fish (well besides pike) these days.

I also use the KVD L&L on all my line. Seems to help out with the fluoro.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 09:44 AM   #6
zooker

soo bb is going to eerr "test drive" some new tackle...maybe that funny spinnerbait i sent him??

zooker
Old 09-20-08, 07:00 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Zook, that spinnerbait if definately going with me on our next trip to Hudson. Of course, to do anything but troll for musky, we'll have to fix the trolling motor first.

BB
Old 09-21-08, 03:51 PM   #8
bamabassman

nice report bb. thanks buddy.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 06:22 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

the only thing you mentioned that i can weigh in on is the kvd line and lure conditioner. i use it a lot and i really like it. reel magic is good stuff too and a little cheaper than the kvd stuff but it isn't nearly as good in my opinion.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.