Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-12, 11:21 AM   #1
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Veritas Winch Rod

Has anyone used the Veritas Winch Rod? I am getting the 7' Med Winch Cranking Rod to pair with a Revo Winch. I was mostly wondering how the weight of the rod is compared to the Skeet Reese S-Glass series.
dizzy_ghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 12:51 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Veritas is probably the best rod for under $100 on the market right now. I'd say you made a very good choice. As for rod's actual weight - I haven't seen Abu post that, not that it's very critical today, most are very light and the Veritas is no exception, should be and ounce +/- lighter than a comparable length rod that has 'glass in the composition. While I use neither, I've handled the Veritas (my nephew has one) and if I was in the market for new rods and my budget allowed $100/per rod, there would be no hesitation in purchasing a few Veritas rods. I would not even consider a Wright/McGill rod, which I believe you referred to as a comparison. Everyone's opinion will differ, that's just mine.

As for Abu rods, the Veritas is designed to be paired with REVO reels, they balance very well when matched. I hate to admit it but going back to my nephew's rod, which is paired with a REVO STX, it compares remarkably well (weight/feel/balance) with the combo's I use - at about half the price. It's really amazing how far rods in that price range have advanced in the last couple of years. I would guess the Winch series rod to be designed to pair with a Winch reel perfectly. Should be a very nice combo, at a reasonable price and should be a better match regarding lightness and balance than the S R S-glass. Good luck with it!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 02:45 PM   #3
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

That's kinda what I was hoping to hear. I had the S-Glass and loved the action, but by the end of the day, it was heavy. I also like that the Veritas Winch model has an 1 1/2 inch shorter handle. I would beat my ribs to death when I roll cast.

I love the Revo reels. I have the SX, STX, SKT, and now I will be replacing my BPS Extreme 5.4:1 with the Winch. The Extreme is still in good shape, so I am going to use it for spinnerbaits and small swimbaits.

Last edited by dizzy_ghs; 10-12-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 06:33 PM   #4
Tavery5

Hey dizzy, I have used several of the Abu series rods since they were first released and have had mixed results with them. The build quality is kind of all over the place, if you have the chance to go and pick out your own rod from a stack I would recommend that you do so. You can find one that is put together well if you take the time to look through them.

I had a 7'6" that was lightly used break for no reason that I could see, and have had the rod come loose in the reel seat on another. Take a close look at the eyes of the rod and make sure they are straight and not full of extra epoxy, this was a big problem at one time. Other than these things I had no problems with mine, well other than I did not like the fact that the rods had an aluminum cap on the end with no protection for it, so it was scratched almost as soon as you used it.

There are a lot of good rods in the 100 - 150 dollar price range, make sure you check a few out for comparison.
Old 10-12-12, 07:34 PM   #5
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

I live in the middle of nowhere, so the Internet is my only viable choice. I have had two Vendettas, one zero problems, the other had the tip guide fly off on the cast. Thanks for the warning, but unless I add double the cost in gas, I'm gonna have to risk it.
Old 10-12-12, 10:25 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_ghs View Post
I live in the middle of nowhere, so the Internet is my only viable choice. I have had two Vendettas, one zero problems, the other had the tip guide fly off on the cast. Thanks for the warning, but unless I add double the cost in gas, I'm gonna have to risk it.

If that is the situation, may I suggest you look at either St. Croix or Falcon, IMHO, they have some of the best quality control for rods in this price range.
Old 10-13-12, 12:20 AM   #7
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
Old 10-13-12, 10:20 AM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
If that is the situation, may I suggest you look at either St. Croix or Falcon, IMHO, they have some of the best quality control for rods in this price range.
I havn't had an issue with any Garcia rods, but have heard of issues from others. If you do want to look into another rod, I can vouch for the St Croix Premier rods which sell for $109.00-$119.00. Great rods for the money. I have two of the Premiers and have never had an issue. My next rod will probably also be a Premier.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.