Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-07, 09:44 PM   #1
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New to the BassFishing Forum

Greetings, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
My name is Bob Smith and I just found this forum tonight. I am currently a moderator on the Texas Fishing Forum and have been for a number of years. This summer my employer relocated me and the wife to the North Georgia area (I miss my Texas lakes already!). So I am trying to get my 'feelers" out and see what other forums are out there. Hopefully, I will find some more forum bass fishing folks on here that may live in or around the Cartersville, Georgia area. I am also looking to join a bass club out here so any information will be duly appreciated!
I look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing experiences, I have about forty years of bassfishing that I have learned a few things from, but I have also learned that you will never know it all. So I am a willing student and willing to teach at the same time! Throw in a couple of tourneys every now and again just for the competitive side of it!
Old 11-21-07, 11:07 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum, Bob! I spend almost time on the TFF as I do here. Both are great sites.
Old 11-21-07, 11:28 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

This is currently the only bass forum I belong to, and it has been great, I've leanred so much, and I'm still learning! Welcome, have fun, and Good luck fishing!

BB
Old 11-22-07, 08:33 AM   #4
keithdog

Welcome aboard Bob. I think you'll enjoy it here. It's a pretty good group of guys in here. Everyone willing to contribute when they can. And JB is always good for a laugh or two. He's a computer wiz ya know!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 10:48 AM   #5
lizardsrule

Welcome to the site. Always nice to have bassaholics here. Don't forget your waders though, it does get deep. Ahh, but as a moderator you already KNOW that.

Lizards
Old 11-22-07, 11:55 AM   #6
brushhog

Bob, looking forward to your expertise and knowledge on the forum. Keep us posted on your getting into the fishing scene in your new locale!
Old 11-22-07, 01:43 PM   #7
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome Bob! Anytime we get someone with your experience on the forum, it is a benefit to us all. Good luck learning your new surroundings, and hopefully you won't miss your Texas lakes too much!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 02:12 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

I really do miss my Texas Lakes, not only because of the great fishing the state of Texas has, but the variety of fishing habitat. You can find lakes with lots of grass, and/or timber, you can find lakes that are shallow, deep or really deep, lakes with hard bottoms, soft bottoms, rocks, or lots of standing boat docks, or floating boat docks. In the winter you can almost always find a "hot water discharge" lake within a reasonable drive that you can fish through the coldest winters and catch trophies right on through the coldest part of the year.
It's going to be hard not having all of that anymore, but being a bass fisherman, for years on end, means that you make the best of what your dealt. In the long run, you become even more versatile than you were before! I'll adjust!
Old 11-22-07, 06:11 PM   #9
pig n jig

You need to move to my area if you can't be in Texas.There is everything you mentioned ,except hot water discharge for the coldest part of winter. We do however have a Jiffy power auger to compensate for the lack of hot water areas.Ice fishing isn't as bad as it sounds, providing you got a sled shanty, or a full ice shanty to fish from.The most difficult task is getting everything out to your spot, which reminds me, I haven't built my new BBQ grill on to the sled yet. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 06:17 PM   #10
pig n jig

BTW, Welcome. I wish they still made the porko baits.I used the white strips on to the strike King lightning hawg hook that was weedless. They were deadly during the late fall, early winter while fishing primary points.You weren't sure what type of fish was on until you got them to the boat. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 06:41 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

P N J, I loved those things. Uncle Josh has something similar, but it really isn't the same! From Tennessee to Texas, I threw those things and they caught some bonified pigs (and lots of them) Fall through Spring (water temps 55 through 75 seemed to be the best for the lighter colors). I also used to tip my Jigs and Hair jigs with the black or black and blue Porkos and fish them in the dead of winter.
Fond memories no doubt

Last edited by Bob Smith; 11-23-07 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling!
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 11:38 AM   #12
ROBZILLA

Welcome to the site BOBBER! lol
Old 11-24-07, 05:23 PM   #13
JB

welcome bob, and keep coming back!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 02:04 PM   #14
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Welcome there Bob.
Old 11-27-07, 09:32 PM   #15
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I just had a very full weekend with the family and two days of mind crunching work. I hope to get into some really great how to discussions with you folks. I especially like the the techniques discussion page. It looks like there are a great bunch of folks on here that have no problem sharing experience and knowledge. I am looking forward to engaging you guys in that area and also in the boating page.
Old 11-27-07, 09:36 PM   #16
WTL

Cartersville....is that near lake Altoona?

A lot of those north GA lakes are clear spotted bass lakes or so Ive heard. Those type of lakes can get boring. But if you want to make the drive, I think you will like Weiss and Guntersville lakes in Alabama. Weiss is shallow and muddy with lots of timber, Guntersville is deep and fertile with huge hydrilla and millfoil beds, ledges, humps and channels.
Old 11-27-07, 10:29 PM   #17
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Cartersville....is that near lake Altoona?

A lot of those north GA lakes are clear spotted bass lakes or so Ive heard. Those type of lakes can get boring. But if you want to make the drive, I think you will like Weiss and Guntersville lakes in Alabama. Weiss is shallow and muddy with lots of timber, Guntersville is deep and fertile with huge hydrilla and millfoil beds, ledges, humps and channels.
Weiss is only an hour and a half from my home in Cartersville, GA and Guntersville is maybe an hour further. You can count on my hitting those lakes, I also plan to hit Nickajack and Chickamauga in Tennessee as well (about the same distance). I have caught a lot of spots out of Lake Allatoona since we moved here, but now finding a launch ramp is almost impossible (lake is 20' down, close all but two ramps and one of those is inches away from not being usuable).
Old 11-27-07, 10:33 PM   #18
WTL

Yeah, the drought is brutal. If the state of Georgia isn't careful about stealing our water, we might just invade .

Also look up Logan Martin. In the summertime, you might out to look into learning stream fishing. I have been under the dam at Altoona before, I believe they stock trout or they did. Also Georgia is home to the Shoal bass - they are very fun to fish for. Explosive like a smallmouth and they can get pretty big.
Old 11-27-07, 10:39 PM   #19
Bob Smith

Quote:
Yeah, the drought is brutal. If the state of Georgia isn't careful about stealing our water, we might just invade .

Also look up Logan Martin.
LOL! I have no problem with you guys getting "Our" water, so long as we quit giving you more than what the river is dumping into the lake at any given time.

When we moved over from Texas in June I remember crossing Logan Martin on I-20, It looked like it was about dried up too!! I've heard a lot about the Coosa River impoundments though, and I hope to fish them in the coming year.

My manager lives in Huntsville, and I have to visit the Boeing facility over there from time to time. I will probably drag the boat with me from time to time. Maybe we can hook up and hit Guntersville sometime?
Old 11-27-07, 10:41 PM   #20
WTL

Sounds like a plan if I can get up there. I'm living in Tuscaloosa right now actually, you know, delaying responsibilty, pretending I'm still in college...that sorta thing.
Old 11-27-07, 10:44 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Quote:
Sounds like a plan if I can get up there. I'm living in Tuscaloosa right now actually, you know, delaying responsibilty, pretending I'm still in college...that sorta thing.
At 54, I'm taking online courses to get a Masters Certificate in Project Management, and finding it hard to concentrate because these danged fishing forums keep interrupting my attention to the lectures (need to close a few windows! lol).
Old 11-27-07, 10:54 PM   #22
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Welcome...nice to have ya sounds like you have alot of useful knowledge!
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 10:59 PM   #23
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
Welcome...nice to have ya sounds like you have alot of useful knowledge!
Feel free to PM me or email me if you think there may be something I might be able to help you with.
Old 11-27-07, 11:03 PM   #24
WTL

No kidding Bob. I'm trying to get a job as a conservation enforcement officer...and then try to go online to get a masters in Journalism on the side. That way I can move my career forward while also continuing my education. I'm just waiting on the state of Alabama right now to have another job open up I guess.
Old 11-28-07, 11:47 PM   #25
Bob Smith

Quote:
No kidding Bob. I'm trying to get a job as a conservation enforcement officer...and then try to go online to get a masters in Journalism on the side. That way I can move my career forward while also continuing my education. I'm just waiting on the state of Alabama right now to have another job open up I guess.
That's a sound game plan, WTL. My motto and guiding principle is "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained", so my advice to you is to "GO FOR IT!" I hope it works for you!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.