Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-05, 11:15 AM   #1
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Finally caught a trout!

I have been trout fishing all my life. I have caught over 1000 trout. I have lived in my house for 12 year and the first year we moved up there, my cousin caught a trout out of the creek behind my house. Sence then there have been a few sightings but no catches. Today, I went to the creek. This creek is wide and long ( about 20 feet wide and about 10 miles long ) and I bet that there is only about 30 trout in the whole creek. I went to a hole that is ok but there are alot of creek chubes in it. And then.......I SAW HIM! He was a Brook Trout and I got so excited. I only had a white spinner on me and he wouldnt touch that so I had to snag him. I Snaged him in the lower lip. The fight was awesome and lasted about 20 seconds. When I pulled him in I could not believe my eyes. In the 12 year that we have lived here, only ONE trout was caught out of that creek by my family and my family are big fisherman. I have set a new record to beat. The trout was 13 inches long and had about a 5-6 inch girth. I can't wait to tell Powerbass because the last time me and him went fishing back there, we saw him in the same hole but he didnt bit. I am so proud of myself and I know now that my little creek has some big potential!!!

Last edited by NJBassDevil; 09-24-05 at 12:08 PM.
NJBassDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 11:24 AM   #2
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Im sure you read what I posted on our forum so I aint gonna post all that here again lol........ Congrates dude!!
Old 09-24-05, 11:49 AM   #3
454ss

Hey man wtg i aint never tried trout fishin.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 07:10 AM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Is it legal to snag trout where you live?

Lizards
Old 09-30-05, 07:24 AM   #5
flachristopherkeene9

Im gonna go to a pond in Ohio on Monday where there is Trout in it. How do I catch them. What kind of lures, etc. I know most catch them fly fishing. But will little jigs for like Crappie fishing work?? give me some pointers please.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 07:38 AM   #6
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherkeene9
Im gonna go to a pond in Ohio on Monday where there is Trout in it. How do I catch them. What kind of lures, etc. I know most catch them fly fishing. But will little jigs for like Crappie fishing work?? give me some pointers please.

Chris
I'm not sure which kind trout you fish for. Any way, try spoons or spinners. If the weather is getting cold, those lures will work well.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 07:45 AM   #7
lizardsrule

Canned corn can also work for trout.

Lizards
Old 09-30-05, 10:05 AM   #8
Bender

Or small spawn sacks. A little flourecent meshbag with spawn eggs in it tied up with string. Like these: http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/st...k_Products.htm
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 11:11 AM   #9
flachristopherkeene9

And does anybody from Ohio know whats in the Maumee River around Perrysberg or Maumee at this time of year. Anything I just wanna catch something.

Chris
Old 09-30-05, 11:36 AM   #10
JB

I fish there, and soon the steelhead will be comming in, usually its full of white bass and walleye in april/may, then in winter you'll see people steelhead fishing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 11:38 AM   #11
JB

Chris,

On the trout, we usually use a small yellow pop eye jig (yellow or white maribou jig) with a minnow.
Other choices can be a small piece of cheese or corn as lizards mentioned, on a 1/32 or 1/16th ounce yellow jig, witha bobber, maybe 18-32 inches.
The rule around here is colder weather, overcast and windy for the trout bite
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 11:52 AM   #12
flachristopherkeene9

But whats in the River now???? And how do I catch that?

Chris
Old 09-30-05, 12:26 PM   #13
WTL

For stream trout I've always done best with tiny wet flies in dark, natural colors (brown or black). And stockies, they will hit most anything thats flashy so the yo-zuri pins minnows have given me good success. Admittedly though, I fish for trout like I fish for bass, so I'm not too good at it. But its a fun diversion and I prefer them for eating.
Old 10-03-05, 04:25 PM   #14
flachristopherkeene9

We went to the Grand Rapids dam today and all that I could catch was a ton i mean a ton of carp trying to jump up the dam. Some guy waded out and had 3 walleye but that was a ways away. Hopefully going back later just to catch something.

Chris
Old 10-03-05, 05:48 PM   #15
Bender

Are you in Toledo or Grand Rapids, MI? If you are in Toledo you could run up 75 to Luna Pier, I have always heard there are smallmouth and a ton of perch there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 10:50 AM   #16
flachristopherkeene9

Went back to Grand Rapids on Thursday. Caught a bunch of white bass and two 2 to 3 pound largemouths. The larges were caught on a yellow bucktail jig. All made a nice dinner.

Chris

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.