Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-11, 12:09 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing During Lunch Break - Wed 08-31-11

Lunch Break Outing - Wed 08-31-11

I scoped out a section of the Duwamish River on the way to work around S 112th St and saw a bunch of fish jumping all over the place. I knew I had to come back on my lunch break.

15 minutes to get there from work
30 minutes to fish
15 minutes to get back to work

I found out I forgot to put my salmon rod in the trunk but luckily one of my bass rods was there. It would have to do. Found a spot a bit downstream from the bridge next to an gentleman fishing with a pink inline spinner and tied a homemade pink jig.

There was a lot of fish acrobatics as I observed in the morning, but no real biters on my side or the other side of the river.

I worked the jig slowly at first with no takers. Then a few casts later a large fish jumped over my line as if it were a hurdle. It was really neat to be a witness to its stunt.

About 10 minutes later, a new guy starts fishing to my left with a pink buzz bomb and was working it fairly quickly, relative to my slow retrieve. He missed the first hit, but he lands the second hit in less than five minutes of fishing. I took that as a hint and a half to follow suit via the retrieve, not the buzz bomb.

I sped up my retrieve and got a hit. However, I was asleep at the wheel and missed. Did the same retrieve and about 2/3 of the way through I stopped the jig. The jig had barely a second to rest when BAM! It was fish on, like donkey kong.

I had just enough time to bleed it and go. Not a bad way to spend lunch. In that 30 minute period, only three fish were caught. One by the guy next to me, another one on the other side of the river, and mine.

I am totally stoked to have caught my first Duwamish salmon and bummed that I ruined a good pair of work shoes by the mud. If I decide to fish here again, I'll bring my boots for sure. That mud is nasty!

I am really beginning to like fishing with jigs. They flat out just work.

My brother bassers, you’d all be nailing these pink salmon with your jig-fishing prowess. Sure wish you could join me here.

Last edited by islandbass; 09-02-11 at 01:41 AM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 12:42 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tasty looking fish!

Hope to catch some salmon sometime soon, gotta find out when and where though, lol!
Old 09-02-11, 10:39 AM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on the new species!!...That is a tasty looking fish!
I love me some lunch break fishing.
Old 09-02-11, 02:32 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats on the catch. My father in law used to smoke a lot of salmon that he caught from Lake Michigan. Dang that was good eattin! Add some cheese and wine, mmmmmmm

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.