Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 09-22-09, 08:23 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Michigan Anglers, Question about a Lake.

Any one ever fished the Randall Chain near Coldwater?

I've got a little tournament and meeting (kinda like our get togethers) with a local fishing forum there in the beginning of october and wanted to know if anyone is fimiliar with the lake or had any tips?

Thanks,
BB
Old 09-22-09, 09:09 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fished it once this year, in early August. I caught a lot of fish, not a lot of big fish. But, there are a lot of big ones in there, the tournament the next day had 3 over 5# weighed in. It is really a neat chain of lakes, you can fish anything you want from deep cranks to frogs. We fished frogs in the far south end of Messenger Lake and had a lot of blows but mostly misses. Right in the middle of Randall Lake there are some really good points that held fish on the weedlines. Fished the hump in Morrison Lake and caught a few smaller fish. We also fished the river and did pretty good up there at the top of Craig Lake. Let me know your email and I can mark up and send a map if you want.

Also are you launching in Coldwater, Waffle Farm, or state launch on Craig Lake?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:33 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Bender, that's be awesome, like you did with the Kent Lake map. my email is bigbassin144@aim.com.

I'll have to check where we're meeting and launching.

Update: We're all meeting at Rotary Park. It's just south of 12 and on the north end of Randall South Lake. I don't know if there's a launch there or not.

It's a one day tourney and get together. biggest fish takes home 60% of the money (5 bucks per person) and second biggest takes 40%. I think, like our get togethers, its more about meeting everyone and having a good time than the tourney.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 09-22-09 at 01:45 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 09:32 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

hahaha. There was one bit of advice I had to offer. Check with Bender!
Old 09-23-09, 09:42 AM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The launch at Rotary Park is right on US 12 at the south end of the chain. The chain isn't really all that big, but it takes about 45 minutes to get to the north end of Craig Lake from that launch because of all the no wake zones. I would probably go left out of the launch downstream into Messenger Lake and if you have time hit some of the main points on the map in Randall to the north of the launch. All over the south end of Messenger Lake was pads when I was there, or it is called "South Lake" on that map. If you like up close heavy cover fishing head down all the way to this end: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 01:58 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Bender, as you know from fishing with you on Kent, our boat doesn't go very fast. we were hoping not to have to run real far, but if a lot of the lake is no wake, then we won't me going any slower than anyone else a lot of the time. I did want to stick to North, South, and Messenger lakes.

I like the look of the cover in Messenger. You think october 4th will be too late for a good frog bite? if it is, I my do some pitching.

I'm also liking the points on North Lake. Are they weedy or not? I'm thinking c-rig if so, and football jig if not. Maybe some cranks if theyre suspended on the points.

BB
Old 10-05-09, 08:54 AM   #7
BigBassin144

My dad and I went up to the lake to prefish on Saturday.

Weather - Cold, rainy, 10-20mph winds...

We tried most of the spots on the map Bender sent me, and just couldn't find the fish. I got one, almost legal, and my dad caught 4 or 5 short fish, 10" and under.

The tournament on Sunday...

Like I said, it was more for fun and to meet people from the local forum than it was about winning the tourney, but winning money for the full tank of gas, and 21 dollars of road tolls would've been nice.

Forecast - Windy, mostly sunny, 60 degrees.
Actual weather - Windy, rainy, freaking cold... (at least they got one thing right...)

There were probably over 50 people there, with probably 30 boats.

We briefly hit the same spot I caught my fish at Saturday. My dad got another small one, under 8". And I caught one around 12" We hit some more spots and quite a few new ones, and still nothing.

We ended up bringing in a whopping 0lbs 0oz.

The set up was biggest fish takes first place and 60% of the money from $5 per person entry fee, and 2nd takes 40%. There were numerous 3lbers, a few 4s, and 3 fish over 5 lbs. Second place 5.24lbs, and first, with a very nice fish was a little over 6 (can't remember exact.)

We had a good time, met some new people, and found a lake that is supposed to be a very good fishery. I really think the crappy weather all weekend and the past week screwed everything up. We are definately coming back to this lake next spring and summer though.

BB
Old 10-12-09, 06:46 PM   #8
keithdog

I'm glad I read this post. I'm over here in NW Indiana and wouldnt mind checking this chain of lakes out. I'll have to plan a trip for 2010.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 08:50 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Keith, let us know, if you're planning on going up there. It's a bit of a drive for us, but my dad and I both want to fish the lake again next year.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.