Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-08, 12:51 AM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Double Zulu Fluke Rig

I posted this under the flukes thread but I didn't want it to get lost. Also it makes it easier to find with the search function.

Here is how I pictured both ways to setup the double zulu fluke rig.

I would imagine for the bottom setup, the swivel of the 1st leader would hit against the nose of the fluke on the second leader possibly tearing it.

I plan on using the setup in the top picture. However, I was wondering how the braid would hold up with the rubbing of the swivel from the 1st leader. I plan on putting a glass bead between the 1st swivel and the 2nd swivel to protect the knot that attaches the main line to the 2nd leader swivel.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 04:49 AM   #2
islandbass

Why don't you use a 3-way swivel, or a crossline swivel, or possibly a spreader? Doing so will eliminate any potential of wear and tear on your braid that initally concerned. Also, the mainline will not touch the line from either fluke. Can't say for sure whether or not the flukes might get tangled.

3-way Swivel
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...H_GO&x=23&y=12

Crossline Swivel?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...__false_25___1

I also conjured a third possibility, using what is called the surgeon's loop. It would eliminate the need or use of a swivel, but unfortunately, I am not certain if it just looks good on paper only.

I hope you don't mind the X-raps.
Old 11-25-08, 08:28 AM   #3
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm not certain, but I think the sliding part of the rig as shown in the first post allows for a difference of appearance and presentation. At times the harness will be slower at falling than the main line, allowing the upper fluke to remain in the clear before descending into bottom weeds for example..... Also could vary greatly with a skipping cast, would remain behind for awhile before eventually catching up. It's also a variable rig as shown, even using a weighted hook on the mainline fluke and unweighted on the sliding rig will produce variations......and then there is the possibility of a small splitshot crimped at the nose or the hook belly on one or the other. Your rig will also present a couple of cavorting flukes, but the sliding rig will allow more variations in the presentation profile and will possibly tangle less. Good Fishing, Mac

p.s. Also great rigs for tubes.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 08:54 AM   #4
Bob Smith

I've never tried either of those set ups, but it would seem that there would be definite issues with the ability to cast that rig in the wind.
Old 11-25-08, 10:30 AM   #5
doc

Hey your flukes look alot like x_raps there islandbass
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 11:18 AM   #6
woody

Exclamation

... would there be a loss in the sensitivity of your "bite" detection with the first leader (top leader)? ... in the case of those brief moments when the top leader is still traveling or sliding down to the second leader (bottom leader)?
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 12:41 PM   #7
islandbass

Woody,

I suppose it's possible, but FnG said he was going to use braid so it might not be an issue the way braid transmits feedback to the angler.

Doc,

heh heh. Yup. I didn't have any pics of flukes.
Old 11-25-08, 12:42 PM   #8
cassidyta

I have played around with dual fluke set ups. I set mine up with a 3-way swivel and used a weighed hook for the bottom fluke and went weightless with the top one. I have also tried wacky rigging the top one. This system worked okay, but did create some casting issues in the wind or when accuracy was important (trying to get close to the cover)

The system that worked best for me was to attach the top hook with a palomar and set it up like a drop shot rig. Jig head a fluke on bottom (wacky rigged) and second fluke about 8 inches higher. The jig head made the bottom fluke bounce it's nose off the bottom as though it was feeding.

It also gave me the best control with casting.
Old 11-25-08, 11:03 PM   #9
Fishnngolfn

The video (posted in the other thread) that KVD did with the double zulu addresses the 3 way swivel and its disadvantages.

I am not advocating either one since I have not tried any of them. I was just posting the 2 different ways that I thought to rig the double zulu. The video and the link were not exactly clear to me.
Old 11-26-08, 01:27 AM   #10
islandbass

FnG,

That's cool. I thought the rig you came up with intersesting, but I am a tinkerer so that is what I did to arrive at using a 3-way swivel.

I haven't read the other fluke post yet so I didn't know about KVD's input or the video and link.

I would certainly like to try both set ups, but bass fishing from the shore in my neck of the woods is certainly not worth it anymore. Gotta wait 'til the spring. I hope you get a chance to try it soon and report back.
Old 11-26-08, 01:44 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

fng, mark menendez did a strike king pro journal show on the donkey rig a while back. here is the set up for the donkey rig.

http://www.strikeking.com/forums/index.php?topic=1095.0
Old 11-26-08, 08:43 AM   #12
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
The video (posted in the other thread) that KVD did with the double zulu addresses the 3 way swivel and its disadvantages.

I am not advocating either one since I have not tried any of them. I was just posting the 2 different ways that I thought to rig the double zulu. The video and the link were not exactly clear to me.
I watched the same video and the action KVD got on the two flukes was great I hope to try it when we have a little less ice around here .

Jim
Old 11-26-08, 08:56 AM   #13
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Woody, I think the fish would carry the fluke far enough to let the line watcher know something was going on. I think they are brined. I use a garlic scent on mine and fish like the taste.....had one bass carry a home-scented worm over 60 feet until I couldn't stand the line slowly feeding out any more and had to set the hook. I'm thinkng they'll carry a fluke also.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 10:09 AM   #14
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Woody, I think the fish would carry the fluke far enough to let the line watcher know something was going on. I think they are brined. I use a garlic scent on mine and fish like the taste.....had one bass carry a home-scented worm over 60 feet until I couldn't stand the line slowly feeding out any more and had to set the hook. I'm thinkng they'll carry a fluke also.
You are correct sir. Most of my fishing is done with plastics and flukes are one of my favorite lures. I use salt injected lures and then dip the tail in a garlic scent. Most of the time I can feel the fish hit the bait but I still wait until I see the fish move the line before I set the hook just so I know they have it good. Of course there are times where the fish hit the lure so hard, you know immediately and set it.
Old 11-26-08, 10:14 AM   #15
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
fng, mark menendez did a strike king pro journal show on the donkey rig a while back. here is the set up for the donkey rig.

http://www.strikeking.com/forums/index.php?topic=1095.0

My first picture is like the donkey rig setup that mark menendez did. I also think that is how KVD does his setup as well.
Old 11-26-08, 10:30 AM   #16
woody

Mac2, I would have to agree with you on that.

FnG, I just now finished watching KVD's video, the first illustration that you posted looks to be the one KVD was using.

Kevin even makes mention of why not to use the 3 way swivel. good video
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 11:59 PM   #17
twinstatesbassclub
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Double Zulu Rig

Actually, a double zulu rig has a little bit different title to it than many of you are saying. The double zulu consists of two barrel swivels, 4/0 or 5/0 EWG hook, and your favorite soft plastic jerkbait. You start out running one end of your barrel swivel up your main line, (preferably 12lb test mono). Then, you tie your other barrel swivel to the main line. After that, you want to tie the shorter leader to the swivel sliding up the main line so you do not get any twists and you can work the rig easier. I prefer 10lb mono as your leader line. Then, tie your hooks to the ends of the leaders and rig your soft plastic jerkbaits and your ready to rock. The reason for the two barrel swivels, instead of a three way swivel, is that if you hook two fish at once, which you will do commonly when you fish this rig in schools, the fish on the secondary leader will slide up the line and that way the fish can pull apart, where a three way swivel, the fish, especially the big ones, will tend to pull in different directions, and break your leader, or even the swivel. So fish this rig PROPERLY, like I have taught you, NOT LIKE THESE OTHER PEOPLE, and I guarantee you WILL get bit. Just ask KVD!
twinstatesbassclub is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.