Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 04-06-11, 09:36 AM   #1
jjjbluray
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Florida trip June 3,4 2011

Hello everyone! The 1st of June the family is heading to Clearwater, FL for some R&R and definately some fishing. Will anyone be in that area or can anyone name some favorite places to fish? I will be fishing at Pier 60 for the first time but I will be renting equipment there. Everything else will be freshwater bass fishing. Thanks a million!
James
jjjbluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 09:34 PM   #2
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

tarpon lake holds the fl state record bass. there are a couple of guys on this site from FL.
Old 04-09-11, 08:40 AM   #3
jjjbluray
BassFishin.Com Member

I hope they will chime in and spread some knowledge my way. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-11, 05:30 PM   #4
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lake Tarpon is good and close, just not easy w/o a boat.
Old 04-16-11, 10:24 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey, thats an area I'm somewhat familiar with as my parents lived in Palm Harbor and dad and I fished Tarpon a few times. We used to do very well out in deeper water fishing around submerged weedbeds. It's been several years since I've been there but I know there was a marina right off HWY 19 that rented boats. We had our best luck fishing silver/black back broken baits, like jointed Rebels or Rapalas. There is a lot of stuff to do in Clearwater. At pier 60 in the evenings it was a rather festive area to enjoy. The beach is always fun as well. I never fished off pier 60 but I've spent a lot of time out on the pier and many folks do fish out there. The stretch of pier between where you swim and where you rent the tackle contains a lot of support posts for the pier and I've seen some really big fish swimming right around those supports. I know I saw some snook down there. Shrimp seems to be the bait I saw most folks using. I always wondered what fishing a jig with some Berkley Gulp attached would do right next to the bridge supports. Also, across the street from the Clearwater Beach, there is a great pizza joint you have to try out! Several places to eat along the beach. If you have kids along, there is a pirate ship trip you can go out on that is located in the Clearwater Harbour. Not sure how much it costs but it's VERY popular. I think they even fire a canon. Also, there was a very nice miniature golf place across from the beach to enjoy. Here is a pic of some bass I caught fishing with my dad many years ago from Lake Tarpon. Have a great trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0163.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	6561  
Old 05-08-11, 10:09 AM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Ill be down there June 5-10th.

I dont know much on bass fishing as I only tarpon fish off of pier 60 but pier 60 is a great tourist area as well as fishing spot. Tarpon, snook, and trout are to be caught and seen swimming along the pilings. If I were you id get a guide for some tarpon.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 07:03 AM   #7
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lake Tarpon is in my old neighborhood, fished it a bazillion times. Early morning, work a worm along the cattails down the east side of the lake. Hydrilla bed edges between the beds and cattails. There is a small cove at the far north end of the lake that has produced quite a few fish. Also, the canals at the south end of the lake are good for throwing crank baits. If you have an opportunity, the Hillsborough river, in Tampa, is good above the dam. Plus, you can't beat central Fl. If you have a car and boat. Good luck, have a great time.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 10:37 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

i have folks down that way and their is the Skyway pier, which is saltwater fishing, i think its like 45 minutes away, but we always catch spanish mackeral there with my grandfather. PM me if you want to go there and want to know how we catch em
Old 05-25-11, 03:51 PM   #9
jjjbluray
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like some excellent tips! Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to trying out saltwater fishing!
Old 05-27-11, 08:27 PM   #10
jjjbluray
BassFishin.Com Member

Aiken I PM'd you sir.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.