Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-06, 09:45 PM   #1
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default yup there spawnin'

it has just been getting cold this and figured to put up the rods for awhile since im doing below par in school which i think it is because of fishing.anywho i had the urge to go fishing this saturday at my grandparents( i stayed the night). i got everything set up everything and walked outside and said d2mn its cold!it lasted 20 minutes with o fish. soooooooo i decided to go breifly nightfish so i tied a bleeding rat-l-trap on and caught a female that looked to be 4 pounds.but then i looked at its stomach and new it was time.this thing was pregnat or as bill dance says it''its been eatin some bisquits and gravy''. but imo i think it was pregnant since its been warm enough to wear t-shirts until this week.this is an example that there is no ''magic'' degree that the bass will spawn. because the water still hasnt dipped below 65
Old 02-12-06, 09:56 PM   #2
crankybait

how do you tell if its a male or female?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 10:21 PM   #3
KH.

you cant unless its around 6 pounds,then its a female.
Old 02-12-06, 10:53 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well if you find eggs in it then its kinda obvious, other than that I think a biologist can tell.

KH, it doesnt suprise me a bit. You're near Hattiesburg right? I heard some reports of folks looking for spawners last week on the Mobile delta, this cold snap aside its getting to be the right time of year for you guys (and we'll get in on it in 3 weeks probably).
Old 02-13-06, 12:06 AM   #5
texasnitro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yea the bass we have been catching have all had the red marks on the mouths and there tails have been red. so i guess that means that there about to spawn
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 07:47 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

KH

I hate to differ with ya but there IS a magic water temp and you posted it in your post as well. A bass goes through a cycle each and every year it lives. No it doesn't have to be exactly 65 but that is the AVERAGE temp, some fish do it before and some do it after. The bass's life is a cycle as I stated. In the sping they go through a spawning cycle,then there is the summer cycle and the fall cycle and then the winter cycle and right back to the spawning cycle, and all these different cycles are dictated by TEMP. Cooler water puts em shallower and hotter water puts em deeper.
Old 02-13-06, 10:17 PM   #7
KH.

i was talkin about one for every fish as some people state.i knew what you said
Old 02-14-06, 05:21 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

While on the subjeect off spawning. Alot of people that have caught and kept bass have told me that the catches they have cleaned have had bloodied up eggs. Tis aint looking good for a good spawn this year. A early spawn that has been messed up by water temps like it has down here and for that matter everywhere will really screw up the spawn. Right before this last cold snap they where actually staging and even movong ontto the spawning grounds in my area and WHAM cold as he@@ again. Got my fingers crosssed it dont screw up the spawn.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.