Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-12, 12:19 AM   #1
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Anyone else suffering from the economy?

I haven't been fishing since the first weekend in October and I'm dying to get out. I'm an auto mechanic and business is just horrible. I'm doing handyman work on the weekends to keep the bills paid. Don't get me wrong I feel blessed to stay above water because there are a lot of people that have it a lot worse than myself. I just want to fish. Just wondering if anyone else has been effected greatly by our terrible economy.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 12:35 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
I haven't been fishing since the first weekend in October and I'm dying to get out. I'm an auto mechanic and business is just horrible. I'm doing handyman work on the weekends to keep the bills paid. Don't get me wrong I feel blessed to stay above water because there are a lot of people that have it a lot worse than myself. I just want to fish. Just wondering if anyone else has been effected greatly by our terrible economy.
I am sorry to hear about your struggles with the economy. My father in law owns a 3 bay mechanic shop, muffler shop, and a transmision shop. I know they have felt a little bit of the economy struggle but they have been fortunate enough to really keep fairly busy. I think that everyone has felt it to an extent. I work for a vinyl siding manufacturer so when the housing market crashed so did our business. I have been forced to move down to a lower job than where I was in able to stay employed but I am still thankful to have a job and be able to feed the family. I hope you find some fishing time soon, but you should be proud that you are doing what needs to be done to make ends meet.
Old 01-17-12, 12:44 AM   #3
WTL

I'm a little surprised to hear that auto mechanics are having trouble. Perhaps people are doing their own repairs, but I thought that more people would seek to have older cars fixed than buy new ones with the economic situation as it is.

I guess from my perspective, there are many students who are going back to school for graduate work while the economy remains in neutral. I would have ended up pursuing my path regardless, but I know plenty who felt the need to just do something productive rather than remain underemployed. Speaking of which, I think that underemployment is what differentiates this recession from all the previous recessions.

Another thing that kinda gets me is that every time I hear a politician, or a banker, or someone in a public role speak on the economy, they refer to the economy as in recovery. I think the claim that we are in recovery is premature given what we have seen. Even if the stock market improves, it will take a while for someone to credibly claim that we are in recovery.

I wonder, how many people would have prefered a 1 year depression to this many year malaise that we have going on? Take the pain and get it over with.
Old 01-17-12, 01:16 AM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes I too would have thought that a slowdown would have people driving their cars for longer and so would keep mechanics busy? puzzling. Luckily for me I had planned retirement in 08 after a career selling motorcycles and the timing couldn't have been better. I still talk to the dealer and he's just hanging on by a thread. I'm no economist but I do feel confident that after the election we will see things begin to get back to normal. I'm not old but old enough to have seen these things cycle in and out and they always do! Be thankful that fishing doesn't have to be an expensive hobby anyway.
Old 01-17-12, 08:09 AM   #5
joedog

If you have money it's a great time to be an American (actually good anytime) but if not, times are really tough! The rich truely are getting richer and the poor really are getting poorer. The middle class is becoming extinct.
Some of differences between the Depression and now are quite frankly due to all the needless laws we now have and didn't then.
A person needs to cook and heat thier homes. Most can't use wood anymore for cooking and heating and electricity is flat out crazy.
Last but not least, World War 2 actually brought us out of the Depression.
We may not be as far away from three as many people may think.
Bottom line skeeter, it just plain sux to want to work and can't!
I am really sorry to hear about your struggles. Ya, amongst other challenges the economy has definitly changed my style of living.
Old 01-17-12, 06:17 PM   #6
WTL

I'm not sure WWII brought usout of the depression. That has been the keynesian contention for years, but if you look at the economy, as soon as the troops came home we were back in a recession that lasted till 46.

That kinda implies to me that the depression was just covered up by the war effort.
Old 01-17-12, 06:49 PM   #7
bamabassman

well i for one am REALLY feeling the bad economy. i have a job. work for a local city government. but we haven't had any raises to speak of. the "leaders" had a survey done 3 years ago by auburn university (yes i know, what ya'll are thinking), but we STILL haven't been told what the final decision was. it was a survey to determine if we were paid as much as other cities that were the same size and incoming taxes. throught the grapevine so to speak, we are paid an average of 5 bucks and hour LESS then other cities the same size. we were told we would be getting our "cost of living" raise. which is really the annual raise we are BY CITY LAW supposed to get annually. which is 3 %. now this only amounts to .33 cents an hour for me. now ya'll may say "well look at the benifits oyu get and the retirement you have." true i have SOME good insurance. but i only have major medical, no dental (unless i pay for it) and no vision (unless i pay for it). not very good really compaired to what i had in south bama working for the county. no overtime is paid. if we work over, we get "comp time". meaning we get off whatever hors we overworked on another day........at the bosses descrection of course. usually on a raining day. not a day where i could take off to go fishing.

but hey, i have a job. may not be for very long though. the usual talks of cutbacks and layoffs are ALWAYS floating around. and for someone MY age. it's very hard to find a job. i am too old to go out there and work alongside a 20 yrs old. there are about 8 fellas behind me and i have the CDL so that's comforting cause the one shwo don't SHOULD be the ones laid off frist. but again, this is a "good ol boy" town and it ain't what oyu know, but who ya know (or blow if you want to say that).

i don't think obama HELPED us much as president. but i also don't think he put us in this mess. i somewhat think this is a cycle that happens every few years. billy could probably research it and tell us how it recycles every few years. but one thing i KNOW for sure. the rich ARE getting richer and poor ARE getting poorer. the gap is getting like it was at the turn of the century i think. and the laws that PROTECT these compainies are stupid. no longer can you strike. the unions have almost no power anymore. i have only worked for 2 unions in my career. neither did anyting really. no power. and with NAFTA and the other foriegn policies in place, we AMERICANS have got to find out HOW to make US, the WORKERS strong again. have any of you seen the commercials advocating for more americans to learn a TRADE? can't remember the guys name, he advertizes for ford too. we have almost lost all tradesmen in this country.

oh well, i am tired. sorry gang.
Old 01-18-12, 12:52 AM   #8
skeeter1804

Thanks for the kind words guys. Bama I hope the layoffs are just rumor around your place. I know the feeling about wondering how long you will have a job. I keep waiting for my boss to say we are shutting the doors and having to start over somewhere else. I wish you all the best of luck.
Old 01-18-12, 09:01 AM   #9
Bender

skeeter, people are holding on to their cars longer. 10.8 years is the average age now. But cars are built much better and are lasting a lot longer.

In my field it has been very busy the last year or so, and is getting more busy.* This is good, but it is different than before because a lot of the companies that laid people off before are hiring temps or re-hiring past employees for much lower rates. I see a lot of people making $10/hr now where they were making at least $15 before. The exception around here are skilled trades. It seems like there is quite a lack of welders, mechatronic technicians, and especially CNC machinists.

*I sell, install, program, and maintain CNC tube bending equipment.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:20 AM   #10
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

About 3 years now the economy has kicked me in th teeth.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:42 AM   #11
lilmule

I was in my 30s when a second place shut its doors on me,went back to night school on my own and took electrical,master lic electrician,then because work is seasonal added restaurant eq,then hvac.Got lucky got on at state level at marshall university building tradesman,but on the basis I gain more skills so for 7 more years worked by day ,school by night and pager as on call 24/7.1800 hrs electrical,1200 hvac,60 wielding,then experience on the job as a plumber and carpenter we had to maintain 5 skills.
Attend just about every shool or class made I was a card carrying ram gun operator if that makes sense.Yes lower paying than fed government,but sure beat standing in line trying to get a lesser job.
The insurance is much better than most,even though one might have to pay for additional like dental.Got farmed out at 53 as a requirement for std(short term disability) they make one attempt ltd backfired in one door out the other.Id rather be making the money a gs 8 would be right now a ss didnt give me a raise for 4 years,when I did get it was $16.
I am better off than many,while both myself and wife have rather large medical bills,I had an ira which can now be used.
So regardless of how bad it gets it can get worse,and regardless of how it has treated you ,it has treated others worse.The sad part is sometimes these are the good times just dont know it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 10:05 AM   #12
keithdog

It's been pretty bad where I'm at. Working for a fire equipment supply and service place, we deal with municipalities and fire departments as well as private businesses. Neither of these customers are spending anything except for emergency spending for the most part. In my department we are regularly being sent home for lack of work. December alone I lost close to 10 days pay. Havn't had a raise in 7 years. And if things don't improve soon, I don't see my company being in business much longer. They are doing anything and everything to cut cost and get loans just to survive. I've been looking for another job for a couple years and there just isn't anything out there unless it's a highly specialized job such as nursing, engineering, ect. And even lesser jobs, your required to have 3 years or more minimum experience and be willing to start for less than 10$ per hour. How can anyone raise a family on that? You can't. Keeping my fingers crossed that things improve soon.
Old 01-18-12, 11:21 AM   #13
joedog

Ok, I have no idea why lilmule's post triggered these feelings, but it did so here goes. lilmule I am very impressed with your great efforts and dedication to improving your stance as far as employability goes. You chose a great field and your decisions seem to have payed off, which makes me happy!
Now the part I'm regretting as I type. Good planning, good education, good morals, and GREAT work ethic don't always mean GOOD results.
I know a man who started college at 17. He worked his way through college, no assisstance what so ever. Got a tech schools degree, went to four year college and double majored in four years while working a 30 hr. week. After school worked one year for someone else and then started his own business. This gentleman payed taxes since he was 14 years old and some years more taxes than the average person earns. He has never had anyone pay his medical bills, retirement or any other benefits, ever. This man has never asked or recieved anything from the Govt. other than what government should do... police, fire, roads ect. As a kid the Government stopped his SS because he made to much money running multiple paper routes before and after school. ( his father died when he was very young) He was a very dedicated person and really believed he was able to help others reach thier goals. He trained a minuimum of 40 people, mostly uneducated, to becoming six figure earners themselves, including single mothers with families. Fact he was even known to babysit so the mothers could go on appointments.
He also has had some health challenges almost his whole life and unable to get insurance because of preexisting conditions. He has never recieved a single payment for unemployment and was extremely dedicated to making his own retirement. This man would put others success as his measuring stick to measure his oiwn success.
This man was and is very active with his church and multiple other charities. Then fate.....
in the last couple of years this man has spent most of his money, including his 401k (with severe penalties for early withdrawl) due to medical challenges.
This man sold his lake home (meant for retirement) and even his BOAT to keep up with medical bills. When asked why he never sought help, his reply was always "other's need it more". If you met this man on the street or anywhere, you probably would guess he didn't have a care in the world.
Fact, the guy would probably tell you a joke.
When asked how he deals with everything, his answer always is, "At least I can still fish!"
So when skeeter mentioned he couldn't even go fishing, my heart truely got heavier! I couldn't imagine if this man couldn't fish!
I truely do understand challenges and actually thrive on them.
I admire all those, under no fault of thier own, who can't find employment yet get up every day and start again!!!!
My HATS off to all of you!
Hey, this post has nothing to do with lilmules commments, because he's the type of person I would truely feel honered to have as a friend!
Anyways I'm done,sorry about the wordy post.
Hey I need a favor again......
Will you PLEASE have the very best day you possible can!
GOOD FISHING to all!

Last edited by joedog; 01-18-12 at 11:29 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 07:54 PM   #14
Vegasspider

We are staying busy but the buying business thing has slowed down. We usually buy a few and see what we can do to keep them going - with the banks the way they are most are just walking away. The ones who don't are really starting to see things come up a little.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 08:38 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Joe, there is no guarantee of outcome in this country, nor should there be. True, sometimes people do everything right, and still don't do well. That's because the world is an imperfect place. Any effort to correct all of the inequities only creates more. Our imperfect system (well, how it used to be, before FDR and LBJ), though flawed was the best in the world.

Lilmule, I thought your post was great. I had to reinvent myself in my 30's, when I discovered there was no good retirement plan for bar musicians. I graduated college at the young age of 35. I am still constantly learning new things, and as a result I know if I got fired tomorrow I would be up and running again soon. Who knows, maybe even in a different industry. My childhood was steeped in what could only be called "intense" poverty and I will never go back to that.
Old 01-18-12, 10:44 PM   #16
skeeter1804

Lilmule, I totally agree with someone else has it worse. I work twice the hours I did 2 years ago and make less money but am still able to pay my bills. The Lord has blessed me so far. I know people that have lost most everything they have.
Old 01-19-12, 01:50 AM   #17
bluebasser86

Hasn't effected my work any but my wife lost her job last fall. She worked at Bass Pro for a few months but now she got a new job. Not going to be making as much as she was but a whole lot better than $8 an hour at Bass Pro! It's been a blessing in disguise. We really have gotten a lot more financially fit so if anything happens again we will be more ready.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.