Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-07, 11:57 AM   #1
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn
Default Holmdel Lake Sunday

Hi Folks,
What a day on the water. Sunday the 22 my son John and I met up with Crankybait at his home lake Holmdel Park Lake. It is also called Longstreet Farms.
Not sure what the water temp was but it was cold, son guessed that it was around 50 or so when we first got there about 8:00 AM.
The park has two ponds both less than an acre or so. The bigger one which is stocked by the state with trout is about 8 feet deep, the smaller one, no state stocking is about 5 feet deep.
Water clarity was mixed, 6 to 8 inches near shore fading to a pea green color further from the shore. I threw a few white and or chartreuse jigs/lures to test the clarity and it was not that deep at all.
Ok this was and is a tough place to fish. With the nice weather the bigger lake was packed with people, in fact after lunch cranky and I were shoulder to shoulder with kids next to me shoulder to shoulder. Glad they were short, had to cast over their heads. Also had the rock throwers, and the baseball throwers. A typical urban area multi use county park.
Started the day off searching through my gear for the case plastic jacks worms. Found them and put them in my shoulder bag. Got from the parking lot to the lake and could not find the bag of worms. Retraced my steps back to the car and could not find them, searched my kids bag, cause sometimes things fall out of my bag into his J No luck finding the worms. Oh well hope who ever picked them up is an angler and uses them well.
OK not a good start but it could only get better! Wrong! Used a weightless wacky rigged pumpkin colored tiki stick 4 in and NOTHING! By this time Crankybait and his mom came down the hill and after greetings all around we started fishing for real! I’ll let Cranky report on what he used because I could barely keep up with my lure changes let alone his.
Used the fish finder and found out the water depth but no fish. Son found small fish in the small pond with it so we moved to the upper lake. NOTHING
Used worms/plastics weightless, Carolina, Texas, Jersey and any other state I could think of. NOTHING
Switched to top water (knucklehead) black, red. Spinnerbaits chartreuse, white, black. All with no luck. All of this was thrown on a UL spin, Light spin, Med baitcaster.
Son switched to a fly rod and chased some bass around the lake by no hits.
The bass in these lakes just didn’t want to be bothered today. Like I said before this is a typical urban park. The lake is really beat up on the weekends and the bass just hide on the far side where no one can get to them easily. I tried to reach the back side of the upper pond, made it down the hill but just didn’t want to go through knee deep mud to get to the ankle deep mud I would have to stand in to reach the lake.
I was tempted to use a float boat, but the ranger said it was not allowed. And to be honest, with the way some of the “amateurs” were casting, I would be a sitting duck in a float tube.
The day was a washout as far as fish caught. Kids were catching trout with live bait but not many, and nothing but trout were landed. BUT it was the first time in over a year that I spent the day fishing. Because of my operations and recovering I have only been out for short periods of time and only about a total of 5 or 6 days last year.
This was a great day. Crankybait is a fine young man. Very polite and knows a lot more about fishing than he thinks he does. He can read the water and is a very technical angler who will go a long way in his fishing career. And any day I can tie my kid is a good day for me. The rotten kid beats my catch most times out. BUT he did have a GREAT teacher, me J If anyone has the chance to fish with Crankybait I suggest you take it, you will not be disappointed.
Final Score: Cranky John and Tom 0 zip nada
7 year old with a Spiderman combo outfit 1 7inch trout. Good for him, he can get skunked when he gets older. J
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 12:25 PM   #2
rjd3101
BassFishin.Com Member

I had basically the same results on my urban ponds on staten island but a day fishing is still better than not being able to good luck next time
rjd3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 10:18 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Huck, it's great to hear you got out on the water-I know this past year has been a tough one for you.
Old 05-04-07, 04:55 PM   #4
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It was a good day indeed, although we got skunked. We pretty much hit most possible points of the bigger lake. I was fishing a bearpaws hippie stick mostly, I did throw an X-rap and a regular crankbait was well. The hippie stick I fished Wacky, Texas, and on a Spoon. And hey, I had to learn something after spending so much time on here thanks for the great time.

And that 7 year old... god. I got a jitterbug stuck in a tree, he comes with his spincast combo next to me and goes "That would be a problem". I just shrugged and said, I suppose so. Then he goes on to ask If I caught anything, to which I said no. Then he decides to tell me about the trout I caught. He may as well have kicked me in the face, sheesh :-p
Old 05-04-07, 05:00 PM   #5
JB

cranky,
nice to see ya posting again, ya been on a hiatus of sorts
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 08:20 PM   #6
OUTLAW

Nice story Huck, Im a Jersey Native myself.(Woodbridge) If ya ever wanna get away for a weekend Im in P.A.,Let me Know.I mean it. I know the urban park scene. -OUTLAW-
Old 05-04-07, 08:47 PM   #7
crankybait

Outlaw- if for any reason you are back in Woodbridge, let me know I'm in Marlboro.

JB- been having some internet problems. I snuck on a few times at school, but our teacher watches us like a hawk...
Old 05-04-07, 08:49 PM   #8
JB

ya still have it at home?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 10:17 PM   #9
crankybait

The internet just got fixed. I use wireless, which has been faulty lately.
Old 05-04-07, 11:23 PM   #10
OUTLAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Outlaw- if for any reason you are back in Woodbridge, let me know I'm in Marlboro.

JB- been having some internet problems. I snuck on a few times at school, but our teacher watches us like a hawk...
Crankybait, Always back and forth from from Jersey ,I work in Jersey,travel back & forth.You & Huck should hook up, Come up here for a weekend.Just bring your rods.
Old 05-06-07, 09:30 AM   #11
crankybait

sounds good to me maybe sometime in the summer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.