Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-30-16, 07:37 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default First time out.

I'm hoping to get out for the first time tomorrow for some pre spawn bass fishing. Not sure what to expect. A week ago, it had warmed up into the 70's and even hit 82 once. But this week, it has been in the lower 50's during the day to upper 40's. Lower 40's over night. Cold rain the past two days, with rain falling all day today. Water temps I am sure have dropped from a week ago and I am guessing are in the mid 50's. Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy all day with a slight chance of spotty showers in the morning with possible thunderstorms in the afternoon. I'll be home by then! Wind is going to be 5-9mph in the morning. This is a small 60 acre natural lake with woody cover in the way of down falls, and plenty of grass, though I don't know how heavy it's growth has reached as of yet. Looking at the lake from shore, it looks like it hasn't reached the surface yet. Right now, I have 6 rigs ready.
1. Chatterbait
2. Floating jerk bait.
3. Suspending jerk bait.
4. Lipless crank.
5. Medium diver crank bait.
6. Jig and craw trailer.

That's my starting point. I should have most bases covered I would think. Spinner baits and square bill cranks are ready to try as well as some soft stick baits. Let me know if you think of anything I haven't.
Old 05-01-16, 05:41 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds good to me. I would have some sort of topwater on also spook type or rubber frog
Old 05-01-16, 06:46 PM   #3
keithdog

Well, it was an interesting day. Very misty and chilly. Despite having six rods rigged, I really only needed two. A 1/4 oz. black/blue Nu-Tech jig with a blue Peca Chunk was the winning ticket today. Took a couple off a Chatter Bait too. Everything else was ignored. The weed growth was much heavier than I expected. The odd thing was I saw zero activity in and around the lake. No bait fish, no turtles, no water birds, no frogs, no beds, nothing. It was like a dead zone. I managed to land 7 small bass though. I have a feeling that hard late spring cold front that lasted a week long had a serious impact. Looking forward to my next outing knowing what I know now. I couldn't pull anything up out of the grass. All the bass caught came from woody cover.
Old 05-01-16, 08:34 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like you had a good day. Maybe next weekend for me.
Old 05-03-16, 10:25 AM   #5
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

May 1st and you're just now getting pre-spawn? I thought Indiana bass were already done by the end of April.
Glad you caught some fish, even if they weren't big ones.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 09:53 AM   #6
keithdog

It's been a very cold and wet spring Mike. Normally by mid may the spawn is on.
Old 05-05-16, 11:42 AM   #7
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

And there in lies the reason I no longer live in the North. Too cold for too long each year.

Well, good luck fishing for the big girls!
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.