Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-15, 10:49 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Jigs and jig trailers.

Jigs aren't new to most of us, but it's been a while since we talked about them. I'm curious about a few things. Such as what size jig do you like to use in early pre spawn season, such as after ice out, and the water is less than 50 degrees? Heavy for a large profile as so many of the pros seem to prefer, or smaller so as to get a slow fall since slow seems to be the optimum speed when fishing very cold water.
Do you have a favorite jig trailer? If so, what is it? My favorite jig trailer is a craw trailer that mimics a craw very well. No swimming appendages, but rather just a regular craw. It's not made anymore, and I can't remember who made it, but the Wave Worm Tiki Crawdude is very similar. As for the jig, I generally use a 3/8 oz. jig here in northern Indiana. It seems to get the job done pretty well. As for color, I have several but most days, the standard black/blue works best. I purchased some NuTech Pro Series NuJigs this winter and am really looking forward to trying those out. I got a couple in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz.
Come late spring, early summer, I figure the smaller jig could be very useful, since there should be plenty of small bait fish and other young prey for bass to feed on. Also, the 1/2 oz size would be good in the summer months for triggering strikes with a faster fall, and for deep weed edges. But for now, once the ice is finally gone, the 3/8oz in blue/black will probably be my main stay. Here is a picture of the Wave Worm Tiki Crawdude.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-15, 01:33 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

K-dog I love a jig with a craw papi trailer. Most of the time a 3/8 but I'll drop down to 1/4 or go up to a 1/2 every now and then. As for colors any color will do as long as it is green But really I like blacks and blues--brown and greens.
Old 03-19-15, 06:22 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I keep trying the greens and browns, but for whatever reason, I have very little success with them. Nearly all my bass have come off black/blue. I will occasionally take one off green and brown, but few in comparison/. Have no idea why.
Old 03-19-15, 07:46 PM   #4
nobass

I am like backlash I can catch more on natural colors. I found in spring time to put a little red on head and claws. That what they k
look at when they come out of hypernation. I throw 1/2 Oz in early spring as that is when the big bous areally out looking for forage. Big baits big fish. Throw 1/8 & 1/4 right after hatch. Then big again when the bass go deep in summer. Then go back to they bigger ones in late fall. K dog you my want to check out slong's baits and charmer baits I was told about them last year. All I know is they have improve my catch rate
Old 07-23-15, 04:36 PM   #5
pig n jig

I like a 3/8 oz. Molex kento jig with a sapphire blue zoom super chunk jr fished on 14-17 lb fluorocarbon instead of braid.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 02:22 PM   #6
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I like a 3/8 oz. Molex kento jig with a sapphire blue zoom super chunk jr fished on 14-17 lb fluorocarbon instead of braid.
I'm still liking the kento jig.
Old 06-25-16, 12:03 AM   #7
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I tie on skirts with contrasting colors and pour my own trailers to mostly match the skirts in some way. The flappers shown below flap all the way to the bottom when attached to a 3/8 or 1/2 oz skirted jig.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by senkosam; 06-25-16 at 12:25 AM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 08:47 AM   #8
pig n jig

My go to jig color is not black and blue in the spring, get some red/black jigs and see for your self.red/black contrasts for most waters light and clarity conditions like black and blue , it will work well most times but a must have for spring/ice out conditions.
Old 04-04-20, 09:41 AM   #9
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Color choices are a personal preference that can instill confidence in any lure. I have mine for each lure type/ design and do well when fish are striking particular lure types, sizes and actions. The window is especially big in spring where fish accumulations prompt the most strike other than fall. What I must always expect is that one or a few lures no matter how successful on any given day most likely are not the only choices fish will attack.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.