Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-17-22, 02:12 PM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Anyone still cast the skirted jig with trailer?

On another forum the question was asked, t-rigged soft plastic worms or skirted jigs?

Once upon a time, Mr Twister Phenom 6" plastic worms were all I used. But then I watched a partner catch small bass during a tournament casting a skirted jig with an Uncle Josh #11 pork trailer. Bought a bottle and caught bass on a living rubber skirted jig on a pond near where I live and then on a lake that had different structure and weeds.

Once silicone skirts came out, I started tying different colors patterns and did as well and later started experimenting with different soft plastic trailers. Did great with them too catching smallmouth - especially on the Mohawk R. upstate in a bass tournament I fished.

I guess I've gotten away from using them, using instead different micro-light jigs and lures. I even stopped using spinnerbaits, another great lure.

What say you? If you do, what style jig head? I like the Arkie style weedless jig like this one that I tied:

and especially still like this soft plastic copy of a pork frog (sizes 1 and 11) that I copied in plaster:

Frank
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 08:16 PM   #2
dodgeguy

i use football jigs with craw trailers alot becusae west branch reservoir where i fish is really rocky.its a great lure at times. i am no jig expert but the fish ive caught on them are alaways nice.
Old 06-15-22, 05:14 AM   #3
senkosam

I don't fish exclusively for bass and like small soft plastics that catch all species (except carp).
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.