Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-25-17, 11:43 PM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Novelty can be the spice of fishing

Novelty - the quality of being new, original, or unusual

Anglers appreciate improvements in tackle, be it hardware (rod, reel or line) or lures.
Some improvements are not true though packaged as the best thing since the invention of the barbed hook. Anglers are susceptible especially as a group to the must haves claims as essential until new must haves replace them.

This is not to invalidate true improvements within niche categories, but does challenge the necessity of change versus that which has proven adequate with thousands of fish caught over many years. The fickle mentality of many anglers is the basic reason many new products are bought though eventually discarded when proven the best thing to come along. Beyond that, many skilled anglers capable of discerning the advantages and limitations of novel innovations, as compared to useful innovation, may yet see that which is new and improved or just more of the same - adequate substitutes for what is already owned and regularly used.

Those less discerning may not ever realize that any tackle's success is due to time and place as well as presentation and the waters fished - possibly making any lure seem wanting. On the other hand, catching fish by accident does not prove a lure superior or more versatile unless that lure is used on many outings and in many location types (depth, weed types).

As you and I have seen, some lures are just fun to use within the parameters of their effectiveness. In fact, many lures may work equally in a location at a certain time of day or in prime months, making lure choices idiot proof. Beyond that, I am prone to a mysticism regarding lure use, believing that fish are more susceptible to lure changes involving different colors and lure designs - especially novel changes and/ or modifications such as size, color and action that seemingly push the right biological buttons resulting in the fish's downfall.

The excitement when the line goes slack and the fish netted is the first emotion felt along with the confirmation that the chosen lure worked and may have potential for future outings. I immediately think of possible variations that the lure opens such as modifications in color and design that usually disproves the original's reason for its success. Almost no lure must be used in only one color, size or action to work, giving an angler many choices to chose from, none of which are indispensable.

For me personally, there is nothing to add to the reasons I fish that are all encompassing in scope. For many anglers there is a mysticism sadly not appreciated based on novelty discovered that is the spice of the activity. Believing in a set of rules without challenge such as colors that must be used of a certain lure type and striving to cast natural looking lures (of which few are), prevents the consideration of using various lure types in various colors that can be as successful. In my opinion, using live bait 100 % of the time is just as limiting and for me a complete bore.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 10:30 AM   #2
dodgeguy

Always good to read your thoughts.
Old 03-11-17, 09:27 AM   #3
Bill M
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dodgeguy?? Dude how the heck are ya??
Old 03-12-17, 08:50 AM   #4
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Dodgeguy?? Dude how the heck are ya??
Long time no hear. Don't visit NYBASS much, how about you?
Old 03-12-17, 05:26 PM   #5
Bill M

Stop in but rarely post, not much going on there anyway.
Old 03-19-17, 11:31 AM   #6
dodgeguy

Had a lot going on lately.trying to get back on some of the websites.i don't go on nybass that much anymore. It's changed so much from the good old days.
Old 03-20-17, 03:44 PM   #7
Bill M

Well Dodge, we gotta get together and remember the good old days.
Old 04-06-17, 09:04 PM   #8
dodgeguy

Tried to answer your p.m. said you dont except pms. Was gonna give u my phone # . let me know if you fix pm issue.
Old 04-08-17, 12:36 PM   #9
Bill M

Hmm, will do.
Old 04-08-17, 12:38 PM   #10
Bill M

Should be fixed, don't know how the PM feature got changed, used to get them before but it looks like I need to check boxes off.
Old 04-20-17, 08:11 AM   #11
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Had a lot going on lately.trying to get back on some of the websites.i don't go on nybass that much anymore. It's changed so much from the good old days.
A ghost town. Too many left and many of the best bass anglers formed their own website exclusive only to those few chosen. Sad, but then again I've found another forum I love to contribute where moderation is fair and the owner encourages participation. I also appreciate it when I can modify a post at a future date, deleting, correcting or adding content (especially new photos from recent outings).
Old 05-05-17, 03:24 AM   #12
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Senkosam,

Good stuff as usual.

Boy, has it been ages since I have been here. Nice to see names I recognize still around like dodgeguy and Bill M.

-ib
Old 05-05-17, 03:55 PM   #13
Bill M

islandbass, good to see ya buddy, hope all is well.
Old 05-05-17, 04:01 PM   #14
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks, Bill. It's good to be back. "my little girl" who used to fish with me is now a junior in high school on a college bound track and doesn't have time to fish with me like before, but she still reminds me that she's still the better angler, lol.
Old 05-07-17, 12:09 PM   #15
Bill M

Have 2 grandsons that I am teaching the ropes to, we are all getting older, hope we can pass on what we have learned over the years.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.