Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-18-19, 02:51 AM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Light ball head jigs and soft plastic lure variety is amazing

Most of us have T or C -rigged plastic worms and lizards, but have you ever considered light ball head jigs as the weight of choice?

A few years ago after pouring some swimbaits, I figured - why not use a jig head with the proper hook size?

Granted, you can usually use weighted wide gap hooks for a more weedless lure:

... but for open water casting, the 1/8 oz jig did fine.

I've even caught crappie on them:

Many always think the Beetle Spin is mostly for panfish, but I've caught bass on them as well:

...along with pan fish of course:

The nice thing is the variety of soft plastics that can use with the B.Spin - in this case a Slider Worm:

...which can be used without the blade because of the lures incredible tail action when used with a light jig.

This is a homemade B.Spin using wire from Amazon.com:

I always carry a variety of jig weights and hook sizes to match bait length:

The above is a box of light jigs for finesse lures showing hook size. I also carry a box of heavier jigs and larger hooks (note the swimbait jig used). Note the wire L I added to keep the lure from sliding down the hook and only use unpainted jigs.

Here are a few more to consider:

Remember wacky rigged Senkos? By accident I discovered mini sticks when used with a light jighead wacky rigged had an incredible action no different than a much larger Senko. The first time I used it, I caught over thirty fish/ 4 species - including bass!

Here's an idea! Cut off the curl tail off two grubs and fuse the bodies together with a candle flame. The lure can be used wacky rigged or the usual way on light jigs:

One combo was using a 5" GY KutTail worm with a 1/32 oz jighead and the action was amazing!!!!

It caught 5 bass the first time I used over a flat of submerged weeds.

Whatever you do, NEVER EVER judge small soft plastics as only panfish lures. You and I know the value of light skirted jigs and plastic trailers. Open your mind to all of the possibilities using light jigs and any one of hundreds of soft plastics.

Last edited by senkosam; 04-18-19 at 08:44 AM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 06:59 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep, I've used the small jig head many times and it works well. I usually go to the wide gap because my lakes have so many weeds. But when I can, I prefer the open hook rig. Never tried using mini senkos before. Will be sure to do so. I remember one trip to upper Minnesota the first two days we didn't get a bit. Then on the third day, I decided to play around with the pan fish and a small yellow twist tail beetle spin. BAM! Nice pike, then another and another. And other species as well. We ended up buying 3 cards of those baits at the local tackle shop and limited out every day after with those.
Old 04-20-19, 04:26 PM   #3
senkosam

That's the nice thing about using grubs:
1. Many designs work great
2. Many designs work with Beetle Spins
3. A multi-species lure type
Old 04-20-19, 05:40 PM   #4
dodgeguy

just decided to try ned rid this year with fifth oz jig. senko sam knows im a bubba fisherman so this should be fun.
Old 04-21-19, 08:27 AM   #5
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
just decided to try ned rid this year with fifth oz jig. senko sam knows im a bubba fisherman so this should be fun.
The Ned rig does work and if anyone can catch fish with it, Dodgeguy is the one to do it! I started using it before it was even called the Ned Rig and at times it beats any other presentation when worked mid-depth.
Old 04-27-19, 03:32 PM   #6
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkosam View Post
The Ned rig does work and if anyone can catch fish with it, Dodgeguy is the one to do it! I started using it before it was even called the Ned Rig and at times it beats any other presentation when worked mid-depth.
it took years for me to get to this point of being patient enough to try this. using 8 lb sufix advance on a baitcaster so im still somewhat bubba.
Old 08-27-19, 04:50 PM   #7
senkosam

Quote:
it took years for me to get to this point of being patient enough to try this. using 8 lb sufix advance on a baitcaster so im still somewhat bubba.
How have you done this year?
Old 10-06-19, 05:50 PM   #8
dodgeguy

like most guys in this area i had a tough year. i did catch fish on the ned rig though. my best fish this year was a 6-4 walleye in titicus on a crankbait. still looking to get out again this year.
Old 12-31-19, 03:57 PM   #9
senkosam

Quote:
like most guys in this area i had a tough year. i did catch fish on the ned rig though. my best fish this year was a 6-4 walleye in titicus on a crankbait. still looking to get out again this year.
Maybe we get together in 2020 ? Guarantee a good catch on lures I use !
Frank
(Walden)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.