Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-07, 12:01 AM   #1
commanche
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default how to avoid blown cylinder head

i am reading all posts here on blown cylinder heads etc.is there any thing you can do that will help avoid this from happening?
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:07 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

not really in my case the pin that holds the piston to the rod broke.. basicly if you run any out board carbon build up is the biggest pain in the ***.. sea foam mixed with your gas is the best thing.. now carbs will need rebuilding every so often. as they will lean out and burn a hole in the piston.

zooker
Old 03-03-07, 09:16 PM   #3
commanche
BassFishin.Com Active Member

on my chevy truck, i pull the brake booster hose off and pour the seafoam in while its running..is there a way to do this on our boatmotors?

or just add it to gas as you said..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 10:08 PM   #4
zooker

well you can add it to the gas or get a can of deep creep made by sea foam in a spray applcator and spray it in the carbs..

zooker
Old 03-04-07, 08:15 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Do not be afraid to really use either of these products and USE ALOT. In this case more is better. The only draw back is if you have never used Seafoam or Deep Creep before after a GOOD shock treatment replaces the plugs.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 03-04-07 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:30 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Do not be afraid to really use either of these products and USE ALOT. In this case more is better. The only draw back is if you have never used Seafoam or Deep Creep before after a GOOD shock treatment replaces the plugs.
Do you actually have to replace the plugs, or can you just clean them? My buddies boat needs some help, Mercury 150 w/ 200hp carbs, and I'm sure it couldn't hurt my little 15HP.

Lizards
Old 03-04-07, 08:44 PM   #7
zooker

REPLACE THEM!!!! ALWAYS...

can of sea foam at auto zone $6...

zooker
Old 03-06-07, 08:02 PM   #8
1FASTLASER

Yes dDO change them. After the intial shock treatment you can keep rummimng the plugs. But after a shock treatment you HAVE to change the plugs.
Old 03-06-07, 08:45 PM   #9
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
My buddies boat needs some help, Mercury 150 w/ 200hp carbs
its a 150 with 200 carbs? Thats part of the problem unless he has had motor work done on it. The jets are different in the 200 carbs and they are bigger carbs....the motor itself is different because the heads and ports are different size....thus probably running too rich.

I tried this already. Someone talked me into trying it one time and I took the carbs off my 175 and put 200 carbs on there. It doesn't work. I lost about 3 mph on my top end and it would not idle for crap. Tried to adjust them out but still to rich no matter what i did. I rebuilt the 175 carbs and it runs like a top.
Old 03-07-07, 09:06 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by spego View Post
its a 150 with 200 carbs? Thats part of the problem unless he has had motor work done on it. The jets are different in the 200 carbs and they are bigger carbs....the motor itself is different because the heads and ports are different size....thus probably running too rich.

I tried this already. Someone talked me into trying it one time and I took the carbs off my 175 and put 200 carbs on there. It doesn't work. I lost about 3 mph on my top end and it would not idle for crap. Tried to adjust them out but still to rich no matter what i did. I rebuilt the 175 carbs and it runs like a top.

He had a mechanic do it, so I have no idea what was done to the motor. However I do know it was done while "REBUILDING" the motor due to it being blown, due to loss of water pressure. But I will mention that to him, perhaps he had some goofball just sell him what he had instead of what he needed? Thanks for the info.

Lizards
Old 03-07-07, 10:39 PM   #11
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

No problem. The work may be legit....who knows. If its an ongoing problem he should look for some used carbs maybe and rebuild them and try installing the right ones....it might be the issue. Keep me posted....sure would be interesting if it was the problem.
Old 03-08-07, 03:22 PM   #12
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nothing I could have done to prevent mine, the mechanic said. The oil pump went out and it DOA'd the motor. They had just done a once over on it the week before it blew.
Old 03-09-07, 10:20 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

You can definately run 200 carbs on a 150 but as stated not without other motor work. You gotta remeber that what you put in you HAVE to get out. When doing the 200 carbs on a 150 you HAVE to add the 200 tuner as well otherwise you endup with the flooding and carboning up of the motor. Thats one of the cheapest ways of getting more ponies outta a 150 without breaking the bank. When doing this you should also put in a set of boysen reeds. Just plain good insurance.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 03-09-07 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.