Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-08, 08:35 PM   #1
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Motor Help Please

Hi Again guys.

Well as you know from my last couple of posts I just bought a new boat. Sorry if this gets long but I want to give all the details I can. It has a 1987 Mercury 45 hp classic 50 motor. From the mercury forum on iboats supposedly it is a really good motor. Well Here is what has happened since I bought it.

First night out, primed the bulb, put the throttle up, and cranked it. Puffed at first and then just cranked with nothing. Didn't really sound dry so I figured I flooded it. Well fuel was pouring everywhere and I was embarrassed from all the onlookers. So we packed it up.

Went home, put the muffs to it, didn't prime it all and it started, then stalled, then started and stalled, etc. When I tried to bring it down to idle it would die. Finally got it going pretty good. Took it out to the water, got it running in the water, let it rev for a while so it could warm up, didn't sound too bad to my short experienced ears with outboards. Tried to put it in idle then in gear and sure enough it died. Tried to restart it and it would just crank. Well when I tilted it up more fuel running out. Finally checked the connector on the end of the fuel line and the seal was junk.

So thought I found the issue. Went to the store today and got the female connector and just to be sure got the Male for the motor side as well. Installed them, connected, primed the bulb, it got firm, and started it. It started almost immediately. When I brought up the RPMS it sounded much much better than before, so I thought I had it fixed. Well tried to bring it back down to idle and it stalled. Tried it again and it would only just crank. Put it to full throttle and it would bog way down like too much fuel.

So my question is what the heck do I do now? I am starting to get frustrated, cause I just want to fish. But I am nervous at this point that even if I can get it going, I can't rely on it to go too far from the dock. SOOOOOO, what to do. I pulled the plugs and they are pretty black, with carbon build up, but it does run so I don't think new plugs would really help, would they? I did just put some carbon helper in the tank today as well, to help with that.

Keep this in mind. I don't know that last time it was started. I do know that the previous owner got a new boat and I don't know when he ran it last. I have called him but can't get through. I would like to try and fix it myself but if I have to will take it to the shop. The previous owner had a lot done to it. I know he did put the unit on that acts like a distibutor, I think. So I know that it has a lot of new parts and stuff was cleaned (carbs, etc.)

So any advice would be appreciated. I was told there are a few on here that know their stuff (Zooker, Laser, others). So let me now what you all think. Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way what I was told when I bought it that the #3 cylinder has lower compression and knocks at full throttle. Talking to some mechanics, I have got different opinions on what this could be, from just run it with some carbon cleaner and clean it out and get another pressure test, to you have to replace the whole block. Just some more info for you guys to help with possible diagnosing.

Thanks again, and sorry for the long post.
Beamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 08:08 PM   #2
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman

I have the same problem with low compression on one of my cylinders at we speak.My motor is knocking at full throttle as well.I will let you know what the mechanic comes up with
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 09:30 PM   #3
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Skeeter - that would be awesome, I am interested in what he has to say.

Update: Got the motor running tonight again. This time it did not stall in idle and i got it in gear both forward and reverse. Seemed ok but ran a bit rough. Just wondering if it is because it was not in the water and did not have a load on it. I have heard that they do not run the same without a load on them. It did sound kindof funny. baaaahhhhhh poof baaaaahhhhh poof etc. Everytime it went poof it would blow out more exhaust. I wonder if this indicates issues with that #3 cylinder. Also it only did that on idle. Sounded ok under throttle, might have been skipping a little but I couldn't tell.

Hopefully will get it on the water this weekend.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Old 07-10-08, 10:07 PM   #4
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman

With my low cylinder compression my boat would not stay idling.Well correction it would idle (rough). But as soon as i put it in gear it would die on me.Once i got her going it was ok until full throttle then the knocking would start.I had a mechanic that fixed a blown head gasket for me and knew i had low compression and did not inform me what so ever.I took it back to him and told him it was knocking.He said it was my lower unit.Well im not a mechanic so i took what he said and felt he knew what he was talking about.Well that was not the problem.After telling him i had the compression tested he stepped up and said he knew that.Well i was upset with this because it was like i was being pulled on a string so that i would have to keep bringing it back.So long story short i told him to put my old lower unit back on and i would get my boat.I have decided to take it to the yamaha dealer and be done with it.
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 06:22 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok first things first. A shock treament of Seafoam is in order. Do a search here on the forum. I have outlines the procedure. Uour not sealing off somewhere on the exhasut cycle of the engine by what you are posting. The Seafoam will do wonders if not fix the problem. If it doesnt fix it then I will lead you through the procedure of talking a look at the reeds. Its easy. So right now you are either experienmcing reeds that arnt sealing off,broke or bent..............NOT expensive, a clogged low speed jet. This is what I am seeing by the way yyou described it. The seafoam will cure the jet problem unles its a piece of trash thats lodged in there or if its gummed up. If the reeds are just built up with some carbon again the Seafoam will cure that by removing the carbon. Lemme know after the Shock Treatment of Seafom.
Old 07-11-08, 02:35 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

reeds are available at hydrotech.com fitting the lil yamahas for $65.. the reeds are like intake on a car moter..

zooker
Old 07-11-08, 04:17 PM   #7
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys are awesome. Will be searching for the seafoam. I am hoping that or the reeds work. Might just put new reeds an as well unless they have been changed recently. Another question, if the reeds are bad would there be gas dripping down below the carbs? After I shut it off last night, I opened it up to check the plugs and there was a lot of excess gas dripping of the carbs and down below. Also the plugs on the 1 and 2 cylinders were wet and the 3 cylinder was dry. Didn't check the 4 only because of excessablity. Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.
Old 07-11-08, 04:39 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

umm beamer the hydro tech reeds fit yamaha moters..not sure where to find merc parts... as much as they break down they should be every where....

not a merc fan

zooker
Old 07-11-08, 04:42 PM   #9
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker - Not a problem I will find them. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-08, 07:14 PM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
umm beamer the hydro tech reeds fit yamaha moters..not sure where to find merc parts... as much as they break down they should be every where....

not a merc fan

zooker
THAT MY FRIEND was below the belt............you also know netter than that...........talking out your @@# cause you know better.
Abyways if the carbs are leaking that much a carb rebuild is also inorder.

I owe ya ZOOK ole buddy and gonna get ya when you LEAST expect it LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-08, 09:10 PM   #11
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Update #2 - Got the seafoam, put 1 1/2 pints into my tank which has about 5 to 5 1/2 gallons in it. Ran it for a good 7 to 10 mins. It ran rough again and it was coughing (figured out that is what it sounds like more) pretty bad, just like last night. However after about 5 or 6 mins, it starting smoking quit a bit. Had a blueish tint too it, which scares me. So I shut it off. I looked "under the Hood" and the 1 cylinder plug was off. Put that back on but it still did the same thing. The carbs were leaking pretty good again. The butterflys on the carbs were open and stayed open the whole time, is that right? I know how they work on car motors and that is not correct. I am really thinking about taking it to the shop. They charge $65 an hour which is the best in this area, to have them take a peak and see what is going on. I just want it working so I can fish. I don't want to spend the money but I am sick of dealing with it, what do you guys think? Laser? Zooker?
Thanks again guys.
Old 07-11-08, 09:32 PM   #12
1FASTLASER

Ok the motor will smoke like a freight train till the carbon is burnt outta the engine. That is normal. After you run the gas/oil/mix with the Seafoam and put in fresh plugs she will be back to normal. DO NOT fret bud again that is normal. A carb rebuild is sounding like it gonna have to happen if they are leaking. You might get away with tightening but be vcareful not to over tighten the float bowls.
Old 07-11-08, 10:05 PM   #13
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Alright cool. So it sounds like the stuff was working anyways. So I need to run the whole tank of gas through it? Should I do it with just the muffs or can I take it out to the lake? Also should I try rebuilding the carbs or take it to the shop? I wouldn't mind doing it but have never done it before (on an outboard) and don't want to get in over my head. I have worked on a race car since I was 13 so I have done a few 2 and 4 barrels. Shouldn't be much different, same principle. I really appreciate the help Laser, just wish you were closer so you could see it in person, then I could buy you a cold one. ha ha. Let me know what you think about the carb rebuild. I will run the rest of the tank through the motor. Should I add the remaining 1/2 pint to the tank? Also should I just run it at idle? It will take a while to burn all of that gas.
thanks again.
Old 07-11-08, 10:07 PM   #14
1FASTLASER

Go ahead and hit the lake bud. Run the crap outta it. As far as the carb rebuild ifn ya worked on dem Holleys these will be a walk in the park . Dont mix up the jets. and DO NOT change the length or settings on the linkage rods and you will be fine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.