Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-07, 02:25 AM   #1
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default costs of owning a boat

Hey guys,

I'm shopping for a boat now but probably don't plan to buy until fall or spring, depending on when I forsee the biggest chunk of free time. I'm not sure if I'm buying new or used. I've seen some really nice boats that are 5-6 years old.

I know there's fuel and registration costs. I know there's insurance (not sure how much that is).

What are the other routine costs that I can expect?
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 07:07 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

a couple of batteries, aerator plumbing and pump, gas and oil mix, greasegun for bearings, taillights that go bad, big motor and electric motor can occisionaly need working one...boats are bottomless pits for money at times.....90% of the time they are worth having tho lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 11:43 AM   #3
WTL

Lots of things break all the time. TMs, depth finders, batteries go bad, trailer tires blow out..normally when you buy a boat that is well to moderatly used you are going to spend a little money initially. After a while it will level off some though.

As an example, my Dad spent 1,000 on our 16 foot bass tracker. I say our, since I have probably put more than that in getting it up to par since the purchase. New tires, 3 new batteries, tm, depth finder, carpet and decks, rigging, motor repair...not to mention my valuable time.
Old 07-26-07, 03:18 PM   #4
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am about to tackle my older lund. Just got rid of the second car last night that we had been selling...

Now on to some house and boat projects.

Typically the insurance can be added to your home and that doesnt run to much.

Good luck and look around for a bit.
Old 07-26-07, 05:09 PM   #5
zooker

home owners typiclly will cover the boat up to a certain amount of horse power. -i think 35-

i have a second insurance on the boat once it is floating-car insurance coversit while trailering-what ever you do no matter how fast the boat goes NEVER tell the insurance company it goes faster than 50 mph..

zooker
Old 07-26-07, 07:58 PM   #6
Rebbasser

The old joke that a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into has some truth to it. Seems like there is always something-upgrades, maintenence, etc. But, like JB said, they are worth having.
Old 07-26-07, 09:31 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bust Out Another Thousand
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 06:09 PM   #8
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Just like any other hobby - it cost money.
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 06:19 PM   #9
zooker

more like owning a second car..

zooker
Old 07-31-07, 11:29 AM   #10
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There is one phrase that sums up the cost of maintaining a boat - "a lot." I love my boat. If the boat is empty on gas, it is $135 or so to fill it up and that is not including the gas for my truck ($67). Oil costs $16-20 a gallon for the boat. Don't forget the initial cost of the safety equipment: life jackets, throw PFD, fire ex. to name some. I love the boat and wouldn't want any other but the money plays in a big role. I can save a bunch on gas by the way I run the boat. My boat tops out at 73 mph or so. There is only one time for me to do that and that is during a tourney. Most of the time, I run 40-55 mph. Takes a few minutes longer, but I save a lot on gas. Another way to save money is to maintain your truck that you will be pulling your boat with.

Good luck and happy shopping!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 11:39 PM   #11
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Guttboy

Folks here have mentioned just about everything....

Registration/title for both the boat, motor, trailer (laws vary state by state).
Safety gear...PFD's, throwable, signal device, fire ext, etc.....
Anchor, chain, line.....
Line for tying up to docks, trees, etc.....
FIRST AID KIT! (optional but highly recommended)
Onboard tool kit....never know when you might need it....
Duck Tape!
Fuses.....
Cover for the boat (unless you are storing it in the garage)
You may need an adapter for the trailer lights depending on what you have on your vehicle.....
Battery charger
Trailer hitch lock
Storage fee's if not on your property

The list is pretty long but you get the idea.....

Regards,

:-)
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 12:47 PM   #12
Bender

Insurance is actually pretty cheap, mine is about $300/year for about $28,000 total coverage.
The only other thing I don't see mentioned yet are ramp fees/launch stickers. I know I have well over $100 in just park stickers this year alone: State parks, DNR, Metro Parks (truck and trailer), City park, etc.....
I usually end up spending more on upgrades than my actual boat payment. This was my mistake in not getting everything I wanted installed by the dealer at a cut rate when I bought the boat. Things like GPS, larger display sonar, radios, etc.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:18 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
There is one phrase that sums up the cost of maintaining a boat - "a lot." I love my boat. If the boat is empty on gas, it is $135 or so to fill it up and that is not including the gas for my truck ($67). Oil costs $16-20 a gallon for the boat. Don't forget the initial cost of the safety equipment: life jackets, throw PFD, fire ex. to name some. I love the boat and wouldn't want any other but the money plays in a big role. I can save a bunch on gas by the way I run the boat. My boat tops out at 73 mph or so. There is only one time for me to do that and that is during a tourney. Most of the time, I run 40-55 mph. Takes a few minutes longer, but I save a lot on gas. Another way to save money is to maintain your truck that you will be pulling your boat with.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Sounds just like me setpt for one thing.......I usually am trying to set the water on fire

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.