Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-09, 09:55 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Low-HP Mercury Engines

BB's post got me thinking about smaller engines.

My father and I are currently looking at a new engine for our little 14' boat, either a 20 Mercury or 25 Evinrude. After talking with a dealer, my dad said he wanted a Mercury because they are made in the USA, but the dealer came back with a statement that the smaller Mercury's are made in China, as are most small engines (if not China, then Japan). Only the Optimax and larger Mercury's are made in Fon Du Lac, Wisconsin.

Just thought I'd throw that tid-bit out there.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:06 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i rather have a rude.. they tend to last longer in the long run..btw rudes tend to be "over rated" in there horse power.. the omc 25 is closer to a 28 horse..

NO moters are built completely in the us anymore..

zooker
Old 01-30-09, 10:06 PM   #3
bamabassman

yes, you are correect buzzie. it is really sad that we here in america farmout most of our products that we buy on a regular basis. of course that was when "made in u s a" really meant something.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:25 PM   #4
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would look at Yamaha's. I have a 25 yam that runs great and sips fuel on a 14' Deep V. I also have a Merc Optimax but it's a 150. Either way you go now adays your gonna get a pretty good motor. But they all have thier quirks too. Don't you just love em though?

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:32 PM   #5
Buzz Wing

I'm really excited, mainly for fishing, but knowing the fact that I'll have a new baby to tool around with as well this Spring. Our boat is only rated for a 25, and dad thinks it will be unrealf how fast you'll be going across the lake in a 14' boat, but I say all the better!

-Buzz
Old 01-31-09, 05:19 AM   #6
WTL

Now now, maybe the sticker they put on the Mercury is made in the USA. Then again, probably not.

My Dad took his mariner in last year to have the ignition checked, and was shocked when the technitian checked, I think it was a tohatsu manual for a 25 mariner. Apparently mariners werent american either. Its still a good motor. I just look at it like I look at the textile industry (which moved from new england in the 19th century to the south and finally to mexico), the other countries can produce these products more cheaply, we need to move on and find higher paying jobs for our citizens who would be making outboards.
Old 01-31-09, 08:52 AM   #7
bamabassman

buzzie.... IT will be a totaly different feeling going from a 15 to a 25 hp motor. but it won't take long to want to go even bigger,lol. i had a 14 ft flatbottom down south with a 25 evinrude tiller handle. man it would fly it seemed. skimmed across the water with ease. that is till one of them great big ol sea rigs came up to ya,lmao. but it got the job done for me down there. tell your dad to go ahead and get the 25, it ain't that big and ya'll get to where ya'll want to go a little faster. you'll get to fish a little longer too cause you will know that you can get back quicker. good luck and catch some biguns.
Old 01-31-09, 10:32 AM   #8
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
buzzie.... IT will be a totaly different feeling going from a 15 to a 25 hp motor. but it won't take long to want to go even bigger,lol. i had a 14 ft flatbottom down south with a 25 evinrude tiller handle. man it would fly it seemed. skimmed across the water with ease. that is till one of them great big ol sea rigs came up to ya,lmao. but it got the job done for me down there. tell your dad to go ahead and get the 25, it ain't that big and ya'll get to where ya'll want to go a little faster. you'll get to fish a little longer too cause you will know that you can get back quicker. good luck and catch some biguns.
Bama,

I know exaclty what you mean about the 25. It gives you more speed, insurance to get back to the dock quickly if needed, and some top end when you wanna make a milk run.

Just for kicks and giggles, what do you think a 14' V-Hull (not DEEP-V), would do in terms of speed, with that 25 HP 4-Stroke, with two men, tackle, trolling motor, full tank of gas (six gallons I'm guessing), and an anchor. Our boat has no livewell or rod lockers, so you can count those out.

Thanks for you help/comments guys,

-Buzz

Last edited by Buzz Wing; 01-31-09 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 10:55 AM   #9
MIbasser

I would guess around 27ish, maybe more. I just looked at the tracker boat page and they had their est. speeds right around there with a 25hp.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 11:12 AM   #10
Buzz Wing

MI,

Well that's a tracker. Everyone and Adam knows that Tracker puts engines half the rated horsepower on their god-for-saken boats. What boat was it mounted on?

-Buzz
Old 01-31-09, 11:19 AM   #11
MIbasser

Buzz, I'm Adam. I have a boat with a 90 on it. They have a nitro (same company as tracker and does their web page) with a 90 on it (old 750) and what do you know... our boats ran about 2 miles an hour difference from what their page said.

So if you actually do some research, you will find out an approximate speed. But sure, if you think your boat will go 40 then it will. Just put a dream-o-meter on it.

Just do a comparison, until then you can only guess.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 11:38 AM   #12
bamabassman

40 is what i was thinking too mibasser.
Old 01-31-09, 12:29 PM   #13
Buzz Wing

MI,

I know where your coming from, but all the Trackers/Nitros I've looked at seem to come with too small an engine. I know it keeps the price down, but come on, if I want to buy a boat, I'll pay as much as reasonable to get what I want. Some of the 16' and 17' Tracker's on BPS' showroom in Perrysburg, OH come equipped with a 25 HP Mercury, and most are rated for a 50 HP or above.

I don't expect my boat to go forty, but I don't trust some of BPS' numbers either. Then again, I've only rode in one Tracker, about ten years ago, and I was far too young to comprehend statistics and such.

-Buzz
Old 01-31-09, 04:17 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Default Mecrcury 4-Strokes

Well, we just got back from the dealer to look at a 25 HP Mercury 4-Stroke EFI.

The engine was extremely nice, although the short-shaft model we need for our rig did not come with power trim and tilt; it would have to be added aftermarket. The 4-Stroke Honda came with a gas-assist much like some of the MinnKota TM's, but we don't really want a Honda. Oh yeah, as of March 1st, Mercury engines are raising their prices, not sure if it is on all engines, but for our model it is, $300 in fact.

We really like the Mercury, but are still wondering about the new E-Tecs. What do you guys think about them?

-Buzz

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.