Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-09, 12:50 AM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Coons

Are the meanest animals I have ever encountered. Anybody got any good coon stories? Here's mine

Bout a year ago- Out campin with my buddies, sitting around the fire and we hear rustling. So we look around and we see some raccoons, and decide to try and catch one. My buddy made a snare and we propped it up, baited it, watched and waited. Had a nice little one about to get caught, and a big bear coon comes out, fights with it, and gets in the bait, so my buddy that's holdin the rope gives it a yank, and like on a hookset, the line goes tight and moves side to side So were all hollerin and we run down to it, and then were lost. My buddy says "You won't grab that thing", which ended it lol. So I try to get it by the scruff, and it growls and comes at me. At this point, I could have A. Left. B. Threw a towel on it and went from there. C. Hit it with a stick/machete or D. Try to grab it by the tail. All of a sudden, Im hoisting a pissed off 30 pound coon, and my buddies are pissing themselves laughing. Well mr. coon hangs out for a minute or two, then flips up and latches on my thumb. So I yell and throw him into the woods. I get home Sunday, look online a little, and discover the joy of rabies. No symptoms till a week before you die, and once tbd symptoms start, you're toast. So mama takes me to the hospital, and 16 shots and 500 bucks later, that adventure is over.

Last week- Coon got in our hog trap, tore the mess out of it. He was roped, humanely dispatched and skinned. He actually behaved quite nicely, didn't do any more growlin than neccesary.

Today- Coon number two in the trap. Orneriest cuss I've ever seen. Came on the trap and it was curled up, I thought it might be dead, so I gave it a poke, and it woke up fightin This one made an even bigger mess, chewed on the posts, broke the trigger string, etc. We didn't feel like skinnin another one, so we went to turn it loose, and it came at the side of the cage wantin to fight. So we propped the door with a stick, I grabbed my axe handle out of the truck, and we waited on it to get gone. She wanted to stay, so I prodded her a little and she turned around and put tooth marks on my axe handle! We left, and when we came back in a few hours, she was gone......

Anybody else got coon or any other good animal stories? Y'all bunch of rednecks ought to have a few haga
Old 02-21-09, 02:09 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

OK, I gotta admit when I clicked on the thread for just a second I thought this was gonna be a racist thread.

I think I might have told this story on here last year, but I will repeat it. I lived in the ghetto of tuscaloosa last year. Around Christmas, me and my roomate came back from a trip to walmart and we see a racoon crawling up the telephone pole outside the apartment. He is acting kinda funny, crawling up the pole, then crawling down, then back up - kinda retarded acting.

He started to crawl towards the top where the wires were, and I said uh oh. But nothing. Didnt get shocked. So I got bored and went inside to make myself a pizza. I get halfway through preparing the pizza when all of a sudden I hear a buzz, pop and the lights go out and I hear something fall outside the window. I shout to my roomate in the dark "well, I know what that was".

Walk outside and the coon is laying on the ground, steaming and sizzling. The neighbors all gather around to look at the dead racoon. Then the damn thing starts to move. Power is still out. People assemble to get lights and such. The neighborhood stray cat then starts to take interest in the rabid coon that has just been shocked to hell, but is now coming back from the dead - we cant let that happen. So I run in the house and grab the shotgun. I line him up real nice and slow, and just as the coon is about to get back up on its feet I shoot the thing and knock it back 2 feet.

Then, 5 minutes later, it tries to revive again! But it finally died. One tough coon. Got electricuted, fell 20 feet, shot close up with a 20 gauge and still almost got back up.
Old 02-21-09, 02:13 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Coons!?! Momma just shooed 'em off the porch with a broom.
Old 02-21-09, 05:16 AM   #4
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
OK, I gotta admit when I clicked on the thread for just a second I thought this was gonna be a racist thread.

I think I might have told this story on here last year, but I will repeat it. I lived in the ghetto of tuscaloosa last year. Around Christmas, me and my roomate came back from a trip to walmart and we see a racoon crawling up the telephone pole outside the apartment. He is acting kinda funny, crawling up the pole, then crawling down, then back up - kinda retarded acting.

He started to crawl towards the top where the wires were, and I said uh oh. But nothing. Didnt get shocked. So I got bored and went inside to make myself a pizza. I get halfway through preparing the pizza when all of a sudden I hear a buzz, pop and the lights go out and I hear something fall outside the window. I shout to my roomate in the dark "well, I know what that was".

Walk outside and the coon is laying on the ground, steaming and sizzling. The neighbors all gather around to look at the dead racoon. Then the damn thing starts to move. Power is still out. People assemble to get lights and such. The neighborhood stray cat then starts to take interest in the rabid coon that has just been shocked to hell, but is now coming back from the dead - we cant let that happen. So I run in the house and grab the shotgun. I line him up real nice and slow, and just as the coon is about to get back up on its feet I shoot the thing and knock it back 2 feet.

Then, 5 minutes later, it tries to revive again! But it finally died. One tough coon. Got electricuted, fell 20 feet, shot close up with a 20 gauge and still almost got back up.
lol, you had a freakin frazzled fried Frankencoon!
Old 02-21-09, 08:10 AM   #5
Bassboss

lol, that's funny!

I got a few really existing stories

I was fishing, I saw a coon, it minded it's business, I minded mine.

Wasn't that great!!

Ok, here are some of my pa's!

Once he was driving down a dirt road on his dirt bike, he saw a litter of abandon coons. He went over got one, brought it home, kept it as a pet...... Two months later it was gone!

It was the new years and my dad and his dad where gonna light up a bon fire, the wood had been siting out all the other day. So the they got the gasoline spreed it on the fire and lit er up! After a about 5 minute later a coon.... half on fire, runs out of the flaming inferno! My grand pa kicks it back in to put it out of it's misery.

Anyone up for some coon!
Old 02-21-09, 09:12 AM   #6
bamabassman

as a kid in the country, we had coon hunters that still hnt em today. seen a couple of great dogs get themselves drowned by a coon. sad thing to see. but the owner of the dog(s) couldn't just shoot the coon as he might hit his dog, dog has to learn to fight in water he said. after drowning th dog, hunter blew the coon to pieces. buried the dog, and went back to get another dog. true story. happened a couple of times as i said. so i gave up coon hunting. can't stand to see a dog drown. coons aren't the best eating either. nor is posum. another mean critter, and i mean MEAN!!!
Old 02-21-09, 09:16 AM   #7
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

when i lived in fl on base (mayport) i would hand feed them when i was out BBQ in my back yard
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 11:30 AM   #8
zooker

my dad kept a pet coon in the house for many years. two things coons are renown for #1 they have no saliva glands so they must wet there food. #2 they absolutly fear falling..

they are a funny beast that will climb any thing and eat nearly anything.. making one mad is just the beginning they will and can hand a full grown dog a whippen. even the massive blue ticks my father had would win a fight with a coon but not by much..coon have lil fear of humans but they are spooked by loud noises..

zooker
Old 02-21-09, 02:46 PM   #9
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My brother and his friend Pat were checking Coyote traps.
They found a badger in one of their traps.
Madder then a wet hen, so they knocked it over the head with a shovel a few times...put in the back of a Datsun pickup with a shell attached.
They thought he was dead...He came to and was bouncing all over the back of the truck. So, they stopped and my brother climded on to the shell and opened the hatch.
The badger came out over the tailgate, ran around the truck, bit all four tires than rambled off into the desert.
Old 02-21-09, 03:31 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

It once was raining outside our house, and I was playing outside, naked, as usual. Okay, just kiddin' about being naked, but I was outside, in the rain, and saw a baby coon hiding under the soffet, trying to get out of the rain, soaking wet lying on the ground.

Moral of the story, I named him Rocky and kept him for about two weeks until my chocolate lab got a hold of him and we had to put him down.

Good pets, nonetheless.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 06:06 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

We saved a coon on the rig right after Hurricane Ike or Gustav. We saw him leave a grass mat and swim to the platform jacket. The welder built a trap and we put a tuna samich and water in the cage and caught him. We were only about 10 miles off the beach at the time. Too far for a coon to travel though, especially in salt water. The coon was safely returned to Fourchon, LA when we crew changed.

The coon on the jacket.

The ole tuna in the trap trick.

Waiting on crew change.

Now lets see if this works.
Old 02-21-09, 06:08 PM   #12
bamabassman

GOOD JOB!!!! glad to hear the coon made it safly to shore.
Old 02-21-09, 11:00 PM   #13
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
two things coons are renown for #1 they have no saliva glands so they must wet there food.
zooker

Just wonderin, I did some lookin around on rabies after my coon bite, and the virus travels through saliva only.....How do coons pass it?

And the oil rig thing was bad to the bone
Old 02-21-09, 11:07 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
when i lived in fl on base (mayport) i would hand feed them when i was out BBQ in my back yard
Yup, at the local beach park, you can do the same thing!

Once I went and put a bunch of hot sauce on it before I gave to 'em. Funniest thing you ever saw!
Old 02-22-09, 08:49 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

funny stories..... got to love them coons
Old 02-22-09, 09:10 PM   #16
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

This is the best thread ever.

Only animal story I can think of is I caught a bass.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 09:56 PM   #17
1/4 stick

Only coon story I have is I got drunk and feel asleep in a lounge chair outside. I rolled over and dang near kissed one that was eating some chips that were beside me. We looked at each other and both took off in different directions.
Old 02-23-09, 10:17 PM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

I never had one with a coon, but I will share a possum story. I was sitting in my truck one morning fixing to go hunting. I had got to the woods early and was sitting there waiting for the time to pass and listening to the radio. I had pulled off of the road by a round bale of hay and didn't notice how close I was to it. I was sitting there and hocked a big un'. I went to roll my window down and had the head back and moving into foward motion for the hurl when I looked down the tip of my nose and this possum was lip curled up and hissing and showing all the pearlies. I dang near choked to death and couldn't get the window up fast enough. I moved my truck and parked elsewhere needless to say.
Old 02-23-09, 10:29 PM   #19
WTL

Possum story:

About 6 years ago I was fishing wilson lake. It was about the 16th hour I had been there, was planning on a 24 hour marathon stay - when I get a call from my mother.

She said she had just crawled into bed, she had been eating icecream, and she put the bowl down on the floor for the cat to lick. Well, she heard a licking, but then saw the cat on the top of the dresser. She looked down and "there was a white rat eating the icecream - about 3 pounds worth)

So, she called me there to check it out. I cut the trip short. When I got back I looked around the room, gave it a very thourough 5 second search, couldnt find anything so I concluded it was a field mouse and went to bed.

2 weeks later I was in the back room cleaning out storage - and there it was. Except this was no mouse. This was a possum. In the middle of the house. There was a friggin possum in the house!

Anyways, what we ended up learning was this was an old victorian house with central heating. In my mothers room, the bed was placed over the heating vent so we didnt know that the possum had managed to chew through an airduct and then the vent, affording it instant access to inside of the house from the basement.

Over the years possums would turn up in the most unlikely places. Then, I got a Springer Spaniel. Dear Katie Scarlett. And for 2 weeks, every other day a new dead possum would be found in the back yard. Good dog.
Old 02-23-09, 10:55 PM   #20
bamabassman

VERY GOOD DOG WTL!! thaks for a great story too. funny. we have had all kinds of critters in our house growing up, possums, turtles, snakes, and SKUNKS. i'll tell ya'll about the house cat/pole cat fight we saw when i was young soon.
Old 02-23-09, 11:05 PM   #21
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

LOL...

This is the funniest shish I ever read on here , thanks for the laughs...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 11:07 PM   #22
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
as a kid in the country, we had coon hunters that still hnt em today. seen a couple of great dogs get themselves drowned by a coon. sad thing to see. but the owner of the dog(s) couldn't just shoot the coon as he might hit his dog, dog has to learn to fight in water he said. after drowning th dog, hunter blew the coon to pieces. buried the dog, and went back to get another dog. true story. happened a couple of times as i said. so i gave up coon hunting. can't stand to see a dog drown. coons aren't the best eating either. nor is posum. another mean critter, and i mean MEAN!!!
How the hello does a coon drown a dog ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 11:21 PM   #23
bamabassman

you never heard of this? yes a coon can and will drown a dog if he gets the dog in water. a coon holds the dogs head under water till the dog drowns. true as true can be pal. if the coon id full grown, it is easy for the coon to do this. latch onto the dogs head and go under. till the bubbles stop. seen it with my own eyes more than once.
Old 02-23-09, 11:21 PM   #24
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
How the hello does a coon drown a dog ?
Climbs on it's back and pushes it's head down. Coons are a lot more manuevarable than dogs, and the water cuts out the weight difference.
Old 02-23-09, 11:24 PM   #25
bamabassman

yep, seen em do that to flbassman. they are a smart critter. very smart.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.