Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-09, 01:42 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Had something crazy happen yesterday

I was out in the front yard yesterday, pitching a jig towards some tufts of grass for practice. I had a good rhythm going, and even a minor aha moment when something clicked in my head about the pitching process. I'm feeling much better about it now.
The crazy thing happened after I'd been out there maybe 10 minutes. Out of the clear blue sky, a full-grown hawk decided the PB&J jig I was practicing with looked an awful lot like a big brown mouse or something. He dove out of a pine tree close by, and grabbed the jig. Out of reflex, I jerked it away from him and reeled it in quickly. Thank God it didn't hook him. The line was 30 lbs braid, and I didn't have a knife, scissors, or even a sharp rock anywhere close to me. He turned after it, and almost decided try again, but changed his mind and flew off.
I've heard stories about hooking birds on topwater lures when out fishing, but not in a yard.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 01:44 PM   #2
doc

I hooked a crane on a big spook one time. He just swooped down and picked it up, and started flying off. I let him drop it, my son wanted me to set the hook.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 02:49 PM   #3
brushhog

That's crazy, thank goodness it didn't hook 'em!
Old 03-04-09, 03:11 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

holy crap ... i have heard of people hooking birds when they throw or birds grabbing topwater or grabbing the fish you caugh but never attackin a jig when you practice flippin.... hum cool story though
Old 03-04-09, 05:08 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bald eagles love flukes.. i can vouch for just how powerful them critters are to..

zooker
Old 03-04-09, 06:32 PM   #6
cassidyta

Osprey are rather fond of stocked trout and appreciate it when you bring them to the surface. Addtionally, they do not appear to mind if you are in a float tube and the fish is within 10 foot of you.
Old 03-04-09, 06:37 PM   #7
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

lol that stuff has happened to me a few times. Even out on the lake.

And chipmunks will chase jigs too.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 07:39 PM   #8
3dkicker

Sippi - you got yourself one good jig there. If the bird was fooled then the fish probably will be too. Take care of that one!!!
Old 03-04-09, 08:20 PM   #9
keithdog

It is strongly adivsed to have a pillow case nearby when practicing pitching and flipping in hawk country. Also helpfull is a partner to help hold the hawk while removing the jig from his beak. Heavy duty leather gloves are also a good item to have on hand. I've heard more than one story of unfortunate practice casters ending up in emergency rooms after trying to wrestle a pork frog from a sharpshinned hawk. After 6 pm, remember owls too! They can be especially agressive. And above all things, DON'T EVER WEAR A COON SKINNED CAP WHEN PRACTICING PITCHING AND FLIIPPING WITH A JIG AND PIG!!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:03 PM   #10
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

:shakes head and chuckles:

But an important lesson none the less.
Foyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:37 PM   #11
bamabassman

awesum daniel. well sort of huh? looks like you are learning the technique real good ifn a hawk like the way ya jig it. bet your heart skipped a beat or 2 as well huh?
Old 03-04-09, 10:11 PM   #12
abu4600

Man that's funny.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 11:40 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Sippi - you got yourself one good jig there. If the bird was fooled then the fish probably will be too. Take care of that one!!!
www.thunderstruckjigs.com

The worst part was when he thought about taking a second swipe at it. Considering it was right at my feet by then...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:24 AM   #14
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Common sense example #1329:

Cut the hook off an old jig, old spinnerbait, or remove them (temporarily) from a still "in service" hard plastic bait before using for outdoor practice...indoor too, of course, since carpet and cats + hooks are a bad combo. To do otherwise constitutes cruelty to animals and I might just come lookin' for you.
I have a lot of fun practicing flipping and pitching indoors at home with hookless lures. One of my cats, Miss Monicat Meowinsky, will ambush and chase the projectile until she's gasping for breath.
If someone, a neighbor perhaps, sees you've hooked a bird, cat, squirrel, Walking Catfish, Komodo Dragon, etc., and reports your arse you will likely face criminal charges...and rightly so.
Hooks may be retained if your area is used as a route for illegal immigrants from such places as Meh-hee-ko, China, or Canada.

Do the right thing.

Lancer6

*If the illegal immigrant is successfully brought to net you are obliged to report your catch to the INS. They, in turn, will collect the critter and provide measurements should you wish to have a duplicate mount created to preserve the memory of your catch.
For the sake of authenticity, snap photos of any scars, piercings, or tattoos found on your trophy illegal immigrant.
Do NOT release spawning females! Call your local flying service and arrange to have them air-dropped at least 500 miles into Meh-hee-ko ('chute optional.)
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:26 AM   #15
WTL

Lancer6 is right about the hook thing, ask Cass about hooking a cat...on second thought he might not want to discuss it.
Old 03-05-09, 10:25 PM   #16
bamabassman

this thread reminded me of when we first got our little kid (king gallahad II, the collie, he is NOT a dog, lisa will kill you for saying he is...believe me,lol). anyway, we lived in baldwin county, 30 miles north of gulf shore,al. at the time. we had 10 acres mostly pasture. gallie was about 8 weeks old when we started taking our "walks" around the pasture. we were walking around one day when i saw a redtail hawk flying over head. i noticed that he, the hawk, was getting lower every time he passed over. then it dawned on me what he was doing, scoping out the king to see if he was small enough to take home for dinner. i quickly grabbed the kid and proceded to take him back in the house. no more walks, we were banned from walks for a while. till he got about 3 months old. and NEVER was he allowed outside without parental guidance till then, lmao. oh yea, and lisa HAND FED him for his first 5 years. hahaha, now you know why he is so spoiled. he is in our king sized bed with lisa right now, ON MY SIDE!!! oh well another night on da couch. it's a good couch for sleeping, really it is, hahahahahahahahha.
Old 03-06-09, 04:20 PM   #17
66KingFisher

Cool story....I always wondered if a bird would take a topwater plug or not....but a jig never entered my mind....guess i'll start keepin an eye out for the hawks and eagles when i'm fishin from now on...lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 05:25 PM   #18
JustFishing
BassFishin.Com Member

thats really interesting. And i didnt know that owls were aggressive either...
JustFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 06:21 PM   #19
CMorg

Dont they make rubber casting things for that ? They look like weights I believe.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 11:22 PM   #20
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Dont they make rubber casting things for that ? They look like weights I believe.
Yes, Grasshopper, (he said, patiently,) but when practicing it will serve you well to do so with the lure you intend to employ in actual fishing.
"Why?" (I hear you ask.) Well, a practice plug will not duplicate the true weight and aerodynamics of virtually any but few lures one might fish. (See: "Ballistics and You", by Lance R. Six, University of Oklahoma Press, 1984. Available in autographed hardback for only $69.00 plus shipping and handling. Cash in small unmarked bills only.)
Ergo, practice with the real deal and you'll do mo' bettah.
Casting a compact and streamlined 1/2 ounce practice projectile in a 20 MPH crossbreeze will NOT prepare you for casting a 3/8 oz large-lipped crankbait under the same conditions.

I used to hoard "retired" lures that had suffered battle damage to an extent rendering them hors de combat and use them for my own practice as well as for training others. However, during hard times I was forced to eat them. I preferred the Crawfish patterns but the Bluegill finishes were right tasty as well. The Sexy Shad were, to my palate, a disappointment, as was anything in Chartreuse.
With enough >^..^<-up and Tabasco I can eat any&^$%#thing. Just ask the Vietnamesiacs.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 07:09 PM   #21
CMorg

Your a riot....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 12:00 PM   #22
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Your a riot....
Yep.

jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 12:41 PM   #23
Jim80

L6 you never cease to get a laugh out of me man .

Jim
Old 03-08-09, 11:58 PM   #24
CCbass

Had a bad experience with a bullfrog, felt so bad, he was just sitting there and for fun swung my grub by him ( exposed hook ). He ate it and wouldn't give it back, I pulled slowly and he would back up pulling on the line, after about 5 mins. of this he jumped into the water. He was hooked, I got him in and spent another 10 mins. trying to force his mouth open so I could unhook him, not to mention losing him and having to chase him around the boat.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 12:11 AM   #25
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Lancer6 is right about the hook thing, ask Cass about hooking a cat...on second thought he might not want to discuss it.
I will admit that it is not a pretty sight.
On casting plugs, I like using an old spook with the hooks removed. For plastics to mess with the cats that my wife owns. I just thread the line through a hole in a torn piece of plastic and flip down the hallway.
The only issue we have with indoor pitching is that my boxer-pit is dumb as rocks and still has not learned (after 2 years) that he can not stop on a dime on th ehard wood floors.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.