Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-10, 10:19 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 15 minutes for what........

Man, last night was a night. I was fishing with a friend and in his pond, the bass bite had pretty much turned off, so we we decided to do some gar/cat/turtle fishing. I went for the gar, he went for the cats, and turtles. Both of had slim jim for bait, mine was on float, his on a the bottom. Since I had no other rods, I used my old bait caster, which had only 40 yards for 40lb braid on the spool. I didn't think I could hook into a gar big enough in his pond to pull that much line out anyway. So after putting on a small wire leader, I baited up and tossed it out.

20 minutes later, he's got a turtle and I've got nothing. Then my float going down, so I grab my rod and put it in free spool. After running around the pound for 5 minutes, and tightened up on him in set the hook! I instantly knew I was hooked into a hell of gar, and it started moving around, so as you would do with any big fish, you fallow it. I especially needed to do with because of my lack of main line. It went around some trees, so I got in the water and went around them. It just so happened that their was some rocks on the bottom and I gashed my toe open, didn't notice it yet because of the adrenalin though. We kept on fallowing it to his jon boat, we hopped in with a net, and went after it! 5 minutes in now

It lunged in the air, 4 foot at least.. it was a MONSTER, bigger then any gar I've ever hooked into.
5 more in -
It's getting down to close to my backing now despite out best efforts. It's getting closer now and I'm feet away from my backing (6lb zebco ultra cast of cores )
5 more -
It goes for one more run, and I'm fishing with thread now! I couldn't loosen my drag fast enough to prevent it from breaking and it does just that!

A while later I notice the gash in my toe. So I reel up the line, and it happens that the the graphite frame reel has flexed a lot and the spool in jotty. 15 minutes, for what? A gashed toe, a reel without line, and broken reel. FUN, while it lasted though, lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.