Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 10-07-12, 08:47 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default A WHOLE lot of fishing...

And not a lot of catching. I left the house at 6 and got home at 5; I was the first one on the water (Lake Poway for those interested) and headed straight for the [only] cove. Bass were busting the top everywhere, I was giddier than a high school girl thinking I was going to slay these fish today. Started off with a frog and nothing! I had a Rebel pop-r tied on from the other day on another rod and nothing. So I took off the pop-r and tied on a weightless fluke, worked it across the top and had 3 different fish roll it, but not bite. Once the sun came up I could see the bass sitting on the bottom so I went for my shaky head...nothing. Finally swapped out the fluke for a 5" senko and first cast I got me one. I thought, "hhhmmmm, this must be what they want!" So I worked it some more and nothing.

Swapped to a jig, spinner bait and crank bait....nothing! Then I swapped out the shaky head for a DS set up...nothing!

I had a lot of followers and watchers, but none would commit to the bite. Spent from 7-4 on the water (45 minute drive each way) and only caught the one. They busted the top from the time I arrived to the time I left. I had literally 30-50 (if not more) in this little cove as I could see everyone. I was the only one in the cover, but they just wouldn't commit.

I didn't even take a pic of my mine as I thought, "well if on the first cast with the senko I get one then there will be more to follow." I was wrong, LOL! Either way it was a good day, beautiful weather and just peaceful out. There was only 5 boats at any one time on the water today as well. It usually crawling with people in boats and the pleasure cruisers I usually have to yell at and tell them to get the hell out of my line, but not today.

Looking at the other post, looks like everyone had a good! Good catching folks
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 09:14 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It sucks that you only caught one but at least you got to spend a nice day on the water. Seeing fish everywhere is good and bad I guess. It keeps you motivated and engaged but it has to be frustrating as hell not to be able to catch any. At least you can take pleasure in knowing that the rest of the country is about to shut it down for the winter while you can keep right on fishing.

I don't know if this would apply to your situation but it might be something to try out.
http://www.bassmaster.com/news/power...ng-finesse-rig
Old 10-07-12, 09:23 PM   #3
USMCbassman

You da' man Joe! I'm going to have to try that, because that is the situation I was in today. Super clear water and bass breaking everywhere! I stopped at the tackle shop on my way out this morning and I looked at those freaking lead head jigs! I tried to "power" fish my shaky head rig. Keeping it right under the surface and "flicking" it up and down.

Thanks brother! Next time out I will give this a shot and let you know how it pans out!
Old 10-07-12, 09:32 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No problem man! Hope it works out for you!
Old 10-10-12, 07:54 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That is a very frustrating situation. I don't know if this will help you in the future or not, but I had that situation a couple times here on days when the water was very clear. Nothing worked, but bass were very active. Finally, I found something they would take. It was a fluke. Strike King Caffein Shad to be exact. But, unlike what you did with your fluke, I worked mine differently. After failing to get a strike working the surface as you did, I started letting it free fall to about 6 foot deep and started working it with very short jerks and pauses, much like a suspending jerkbait. Thats when they started taking my offering.
Old 10-10-12, 06:51 PM   #6
USMCbassman

I did that as well Keith, I'd let if fall and varied the depth that it was at. Twitch it, let it fall some more, etc.

After fully reading the article that Joe posted (initially just skimmed it to get the meat out of it) I think my main problem was I was to close to them. Shoot, I was actually on top of them and they caught me. When I had a shaky head tied on I would literally drop it in front of their face and they would just turn their back. Towards the end of the day I moved into the opening of the cove and was making looonng cast with a crankbait. Problem there was I was to far out and my crank wasn't reaching it's max depth (or at least that's what she said sorry couldn't resist) until it was past them.

I was maxed out for the day so I didn't reposition the boat. This weekend I might get back out there and try again and take a couple of different approaches.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.