Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-09, 06:00 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Take a Senior Fishing - A Story for the Winter Blues

I woke up the day after Christmas 2009 to a crisp 31° F. It served as a frosty reminder that winter has just begun and I am willing to wager that many anglers have already put away their gear until spring. Except for the most hard core of anglers, these anglers try to find ways to stave off the fishing blues. Some frequent online forums or learn the craft of making lures. Others do it by reliving and remembering the memories of the past season.

It could be a new personal best 7.5 lb. largemouth bass caught on a jig-n-pig pitched into lily pads, a 4.5 lb. smallmouth nailed with a drop shot rig, helping a young child catch and land his or her first fish, or catching a fish on a homemade lure.

Whatever the experience is, we use those memories and the anticipation of the upcoming season to sustain us through the winter doldrums.

I have a memory that will help get me through the winter, one I think you might also enjoy. We’ll need to go back to this summer.

I took a group of seniors on a fishing trip. In the midst of our busy lives, I think that this is a segment of our community that could fly below our radar, and at times they can be overlooked or forgotten.

After speaking with a few seniors, the subject of fishing came to the forefront. As I shared my passion of fishing with them, they returned theirs to me. I was delighted to hear their stories. I heard lines such as, “My dad used to take me fishing when I was a little girl,” and, “I used to fish all the time with my husband before he passed away,” or, “I have never gone fishing but I always wanted to try.”

One line that really struck a chord with me was, “I sure would love to go fishing again.”

I heard them loud and clear. I was moved and wanted to do something to make this a reality for them. I called upon anglers belonging to local fishing forums for assistance and through their generosity, received a variety of gear and tackle. I also held a workshop that covered the basics of fishing that covered topics such as learning a fishing rod’s nomenclature and tying knots.

Fast forward to the day of the trip. For their safety, comfort, the amenities available, and practically guaranteed success, I decided a trout farm would be the best bet.

We gathered at a senior center in the Rainier Valley and headed to Bill’s Fishin’ Hole in Orting, WA.

Upon arrival, the group found their spots and started fishing.

And they’re off!

They started catching fish almost immediately. I had a heck of a time and thoroughly enjoyed running around doing things like untangling lines, tying knots, unhooking fish, and taking photos.

This is the first trout of the day.

First-timer looking to catch her first fish.

Success with the trusty Barbie rod.

There is nothing like a relaxing day to fish.

I got one!

I can’t wait to eat this one.

A beautiful rainbow trout and an angler’s matching smile

In addition to catching fish, we ate lunch and enjoyed a quiet afternoon away from the city. All had a great time.

You might know a senior who might be someone who used to fish or always wanted to try fishing but never had a chance to go. Go ahead and ask them. You might play a major role in introducing them to the joys of fishing or rekindling a passion they once had. I assure you that the benefit is mutual and you would add to your bank memories and experiences to get through the winter blues.

In close, I would like to give a warm and special thanks to those who made a donation of gear and tackle. This trip would not have been possible without their generosity.

Date: Monday, July 20, 2009
Conditions: Partly Cloudy, Low to Mid 80s

-Alexander L. Arceo
Old 12-31-09, 09:14 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IB, that is a great story!

That's awesome of you and all the people on your local forum to pitch in and help!

Thanks for sharing IB!

BB
Old 12-31-09, 12:18 PM   #3
nofearengineer

That's a great read (as usual), IB!

Man, it really strikes a chord for me. Having bought my first boat this Spring, I really wanted to take my Stepdad out this year. However, he's getting a bit old, so I wanted to wait until my seamanship was better, so I wouldn't end up killing the guy.

Well, unfortunately, I waited too long, and he had a stroke this Summer, so that pretty much ruined any plans of taking him fishing. He's considerably better now, but he's still pretty flaky, and his coordination skills aren't what they once were.

I really want to take him fishing next Summer, but I have to figure out something that he'll enjoy, and be capable of doing. This post gave me some ideas. Thanks, IB.
Old 01-04-10, 09:29 AM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

ib, I'm actually having a hard time putting into words what an incredible gesture that was.
Very nicely done.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.