Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 09-01-10, 08:56 PM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default 2009 Revo STX - Review

Well, after putting this reel through the paces for two solid days catching smallies, I have my own review.

I'll compare this to the reel models that I currently own (Curado 201Bs, Curado Original SF, Curado 101Bs, BPS Extremes, and a BPS Pro Qualifier.

Casting Distance:

Curado 201B, 101B > A+ (these reels just can't be beat in this category)
Curado SF > B+
Pro Qualifier > B
Revo STX > B
BPS Extreme > B-

Overall smoothness of the retrieve:

Pro Qualifier > A
Curado(s) > B
Revo STX > B
BPS Extreme > B

Drag

Revo STX > A+ (the very best feature on this reel)
Curado(s) > B+
Pro Qualifier > B
BPS Extreme > B

Feel/Comfort

Curado(s) > A+ (Shimano has the most comfortable reels ever made IMHO)
Pro Qualifier > A+
BPS Extreme > A
Revo STX > D - I'll be wondering forever why they decided to have the magnetic brake protruding from the side plate.

Construction

Curado(s) > A+
Pro Qualifier > A+
BPS Extreme > A
Revo STX > A - I'll will give it an A just because it seems solid, even though it should be knocked down a little because the thumbbar on the one I got has a very rough edge on the one closest to the spool.

Overview -

IMHO, this is not a $199 reel. Even at the $119.00 price I paid, I think it's a little high. If I had it to do over again, I would have just got another Pro Qualifier, or a Shimano Citica. I will probably just put this one back in the box, and keep it in my boat for a backup.

I said 8 years ago that I'd never own another Abu. I should have stuck to my guns I guess.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 10:50 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cam, did you remove and clean the bearings in this reel before you used it? Abu is notorius for packing the bearings in a heavy grease to keep them from rusting. If you have not done so remove the 3 spool bearings, soak them in acetone, oil them lightly and I promise you, you will be amazed at how much difference it makes.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 12:13 AM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

I bought a 2010 STX as well just to compare it's performance against my slew of Shimanos and Daiwa's...

While I won't say it's a bad reel, it just doesn't quite "get there" in my opinion. I'll stick with my go-to Curado 201E7's for that price.

Outcasting aside, my big complaint is the discomfort with the thumb clutch button. I think it sits too low or something... and it has a weird sharpness to it. It was the very first thing I noticed on the first cast.

Perhaps the clutch button was designed for anglers who switch hands when casting?

I wasn't fond of the ergonomics of the front plate and level wind area either. Seems like front plate was a bit sharp too when holding a finger on it.

I haven't used it but a couple times thus far, but so far, am a bit underwhelmed. Tough to compete at $199 when the competition is a Curado.
Old 09-02-10, 12:30 AM   #4
tharper2202
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Cam, did you remove and clean the bearings in this reel before you used it? Abu is notorius for packing the bearings in a heavy grease to keep them from rusting. If you have not done so remove the 3 spool bearings, soak them in acetone, oil them lightly and I promise you, you will be amazed at how much difference it makes.
maybe this is whats wrong with my SX. although i do love it, it just doesnt cast as far as i would like. and i know im not throwing the lure the max distance it can go because my black max will throw the same lure 5-10 feet further
tharper2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 12:32 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
No man, I haven't done that. I guess I could give it a try. But, honestly - I can live with most of the casting/retrieve performance like it is. I just can't get over the uncomfortable feeling in hand. I really do appreciate the heads up. I will do that soon to see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I bought a 2010 STX as well just to compare it's performance against my slew of Shimanos and Daiwa's...

While I won't say it's a bad reel, it just doesn't quite "get there" in my opinion. I'll stick with my go-to Curado 201E7's for that price.

Outcasting aside, my big complaint is the discomfort with the thumb clutch button. I think it sits too low or something... and it has a weird sharpness to it. It was the very first thing I noticed on the first cast.

Perhaps the clutch button was designed for anglers who switch hands when casting?

I wasn't fond of the ergonomics of the front plate and level wind area either. Seems like front plate was a bit sharp too when holding a finger on it.

I haven't used it but a couple times thus far, but so far, am a bit underwhelmed. Tough to compete at $199 when the competition is a Curado.
I'm glad that it isn't just me. I thought for a moment I was letting my dislike of some previous Abu gear cloud my judgement.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 09:54 AM   #6
RPBassin'
BassFishin.Com Member

The one thing i did find with my 2010 STX is that i wasn't getting the distance i wanted at first either. After playing with it for a while i figured a couple things out that helped a ton. I never thought about taking the bearings out to clean them though, i might do that now.

First thing is i had the spool tensioner knob too tight, even though when i release the spool my lure would drop like a rock i still needed to go looser. The way i compensated for this was to use more brake, i currently have 2 pins of the C-brake in the "on" position and use the magnetic brake to do the rest since it is much easier to get to when changing lure sizes. Now, not only does it cast much farther, it also sounds better while casting. I'm not saying thats what you need to do for those that have 2010's, but just something that worked for me.

I have an SX on my cranking rod and it seems to cast further than my STX even after all of the adjustments, its probably just be the moderate action of the rod itself doing that though.
RPBassin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 06:43 PM   #7
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is a great discussion, I own several of the Revo series reels, as well as the Shimano line. I think both lines have advantages and disadvantages.

The 2009 STX and Shimano Curado 200E are what I will compare with each other.
The biggest difference that I see between the two reels is that the Shimano uses a composite material for both side covers and an aluminum frame. The Revo STX makes use of aluminum for both covers. You have to upgrade to the Chronarch line to get aluminum side plates with the Shimano line.

Bearings, The Shimano has 7, and the Revo has 11, more than the number of bearings, I personally prefer the German produced HPCR bearings in the Revo.

Bearing breakdown looks like this, Revo - 4- handle bearings, 1-spool bearing in brake sideplate, 1-bearing mounted on spool, 1 bearing under the spool tension cap, 1 bearing on the main gear shaft, 2 bearings - 1 on each side of the worm shaft. 1 ARB

Shimano looks like this, 2-handle bearings, 1-spool bearing in the brake sideplate, 1- frame mounted pinion support bearing, 1 -bearing under the spool tension cap, 1- bearing on the main gear shaft. and 1 ARB

The Revo also has a titanium nitride worm shaft

I prefer the Super Free spool system of the Shimano compared to the Infinity II spool design of the Revo.

Cent brakes Vs Mag brakes is anyones guess

The revo has a much better drag system, not that the Shimano is bad.

If you look at the MSRP for both reels, the Shimano typically sells for $179, and the Revo was $199.

I think both are great reels, for different reasons, but when you compare feature vs feature, the Revo outshines the Curado.

Another popular fishing site that does a lot of reviews, gave the Shimano Curado 200E5 the editors choice award, and an overall score of 8.5. The revo, while it did not receive an award, did score and overall score of 9.0.

If you have the chance fish em both and give your opinions.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 07:12 PM   #8
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I really wish I had a chance to use a Curado for a day, all kidding aside, so I could add something useful to this discussion.

Regardless, I love my 2010 STX's.

I will say though, Cam...that if you want that sleek, more palmable feel from a close cousin of the STX, try a 2010 Pflueger Patriarch. Honestly, I really hate that they only offer one lefty model, otherwise I might just sell my other reels and go 100% Pat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.