Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-09, 07:05 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Brett Favre

Came out of retirement again and will be playing for the vikings , how about that .

jim
Old 08-18-09, 07:09 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Came out of retirement again and will be playing for the vikings , how about that .

jim
He should be throwing to Vick lmao
Old 08-18-09, 07:25 PM   #3
keithdog

I hope Brian Urlacher gives him a HUGE welcome back when the Vikes play the Bears, LOL.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 07:28 PM   #4
1/4 stick

Now here is an example of a grown man acting like a child. "I retire, no I'll play. No, I'll retire. no, I'll play."
Old 08-18-09, 07:29 PM   #5
1/4 stick

It'd be funny if they "accedently" mis-printed his jersy to say, "OLD F..T"
Old 08-18-09, 07:40 PM   #6
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
It'd be funny if they "accedently" mis-printed his jersy to say, "OLD F..T"
Knowing you like I do, I'm ASSuming the "t" is a misprint.....
Old 08-18-09, 07:41 PM   #7
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I hope Brian Urlacher gives him a HUGE welcome back when the Vikes play the Bears, LOL.
Now I gotta ask....are you a Colts fan?
Old 08-18-09, 08:09 PM   #8
keithdog

Actually, I root for both the Colts and the Rams. But I live much closer to Chicago. I just never liked the Bears. I grew up watching the Bears get slaughtered every sunday and that pretty much did it for me.
Old 08-18-09, 08:18 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Actually, I root for both the Colts and the Rams. But I live much closer to Chicago. I just never liked the Bears. I grew up watching the Bears get slaughtered every sunday and that pretty much did it for me.
As a Lions fan (don't tell anybody), you just became one of my best friends lol.
Actually, I've liked the Colts and Rams for several years. At different times, who got a fantasy football team more points than them?
Old 08-18-09, 08:29 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
As a Lions fan (don't tell anybody), you just became one of my best friends lol.
Actually, I've liked the Colts and Rams for several years. At different times, who got a fantasy football team more points than them?
^5 Off for some evening fishin now.
Old 08-18-09, 08:42 PM   #11
1/4 stick

Quote:
Knowing you like I do, I'm ASSuming the "t" is a misprint.....
Old fort, yea, that's what i was going for, old fort. that's the ticket.
Old 08-18-09, 08:49 PM   #12
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As a Vikings fan I have mixed opinions on this. He could be great and lead them back to the playoffs, potentially the super bowl. But this is just a slap in the face to the other Vikings QBs (Jackson and Rosenfels), who were told the job was theirs to battle for once Favre "retired." Hopefully this works out well and doesnt bust like it did for the Jets.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:56 PM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Old fort, yea, that's what i was going for, old fort. that's the ticket.
I'm guessing that's what you say when you cast into the branches too lol
Old 08-18-09, 08:57 PM   #14
crankybait

God he aggravates me... wish the raiders had the vikes this year, we made a fool of him last year. and we don't make fools of anybody often.
Old 08-18-09, 09:01 PM   #15
CMorg

Quote:
Now I gotta ask....are you a Colts fan?

Colts fan right here. Colts only.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 09:03 PM   #16
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
As a Vikings fan I have mixed opinions on this. He could be great and lead them back to the playoffs, potentially the super bowl. But this is just a slap in the face to the other Vikings QBs (Jackson and Rosenfels), who were told the job was theirs to battle for once Favre "retired." Hopefully this works out well and doesnt bust like it did for the Jets.
I have mixed emotions on the Favra thing as a whole. Granted, the guy shoulda retired as a Packer. With his career, there is no other proper ending to his story.
But......he apparently decided, post retirement, that he still wanted to play. Hard to fault a guy like that. I woulda rather seen him end his career in Green Bay but when a guy just flat out loves and respects the game as much as he does, I'm good with putting the mistake in retirement aside and telling him to go for it.
I have never, and I'll repeat that, never, been a Green Bay fan. But I've been a Brett Favra fan for quite a while. The guy just flat out loves to play the game. To 99% of the NFL, it's a job with a nice paycheck. To him, it's livin a dream, and nothing carries more weight with me than that.
3 things I will never forget about Brett.
The monday night game after his dad died
Shaving his head to support his wife's battle with cancer
Getting up off the ground and giving Shaun Rogers a "nice sack!" pat on the bum
Hard not to respect a guy after those things
Old 08-18-09, 09:03 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

i still like favre. he was a lot of fun to watch because of the way he enjoyed the game. but this crap has gotten out of hand and i am tired of his do i go or do i stay soap opera.
Old 08-18-09, 09:09 PM   #18
1/4 stick

Quote:
I'm guessing that's what you say when you cast into the branches too lol
That's a might clean compared to casting in the branches.
Old 08-18-09, 09:50 PM   #19
bcklash

Quote:
I have mixed emotions on the Favra thing as a whole. Granted, the guy shoulda retired as a Packer. With his career, there is no other proper ending to his story.
But......he apparently decided, post retirement, that he still wanted to play. Hard to fault a guy like that. I woulda rather seen him end his career in Green Bay but when a guy just flat out loves and respects the game as much as he does, I'm good with putting the mistake in retirement aside and telling him to go for it.
I have never, and I'll repeat that, never, been a Green Bay fan. But I've been a Brett Favra fan for quite a while. The guy just flat out loves to play the game. To 99% of the NFL, it's a job with a nice paycheck. To him, it's livin a dream, and nothing carries more weight with me than that.
3 things I will never forget about Brett.
The monday night game after his dad died
Shaving his head to support his wife's battle with cancer
Getting up off the ground and giving Shaun Rogers a "nice sack!" pat on the bum
Hard not to respect a guy after those things
Malon, having played the line and my son played on the line, when he laid down so Strahan could get his record breaking sack, after his linemen vowed it wouldn't happen is unforgiveable. I agree with you on the other things.
Old 08-18-09, 10:15 PM   #20
keithdog

I think Favra really did himself a big disfavor by his antics the past couple years. He was one of the best QB's to ever play the game. No one was more dedicated and determined than he was. He had the respect of virtually everyone who loves the game. His fans adored him, and his opponents respected him. Had he simply stepped aside and retired with from the game with dignity everyone would still feel the same way about him. But the way he made a spectacle of himself leading up to his first retirement, the way he played head games with the Packer managment and Packer fans, and the way he has handled himself up to this day has no doubt wrecked his image in the minds of many fans. Many would have looked back at his playing days years from now and had nothing but great things to say about the guy. But after the past few years, he's made a laughing stock out of himself, and thats too bad, especially for all those Packer fans who supported him for so long.
Old 08-19-09, 02:15 PM   #21
nofearengineer

I have never actually wished a career-ending injury on an athlete before, but I'm starting to like the idea....

Favre should be ashamed of himself. He could have gone out like a total warrior...a guy even his biggest foes had to have grim respect for. Now when he goes out, it'll be with a whimper, in a different team's jersey. I've never been a big Packers fan, but I have to say they seem like some of the most hardcore fans in the sport, dealing with the crappy weather and cold, losing seasons, etc. They deserved to see one of their heroes enshrined in their colors. Favre robbed them of that. I guess the Super Bowl Ring and millions of dollars he made in Green Bay just weren't enough...apparently he has to have a 30-year career too. Sheesh.
Old 08-19-09, 05:10 PM   #22
Jim80

Quote:
I think Favra really did himself a big disfavor by his antics the past couple years. He was one of the best QB's to ever play the game. No one was more dedicated and determined than he was. He had the respect of virtually everyone who loves the game. His fans adored him, and his opponents respected him. Had he simply stepped aside and retired with from the game with dignity everyone would still feel the same way about him. But the way he made a spectacle of himself leading up to his first retirement, the way he played head games with the Packer managment and Packer fans, and the way he has handled himself up to this day has no doubt wrecked his image in the minds of many fans. Many would have looked back at his playing days years from now and had nothing but great things to say about the guy. But after the past few years, he's made a laughing stock out of himself, and thats too bad, especially for all those Packer fans who supported him for so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I have never actually wished a career-ending injury on an athlete before, but I'm starting to like the idea....

Favre should be ashamed of himself. He could have gone out like a total warrior...a guy even his biggest foes had to have grim respect for. Now when he goes out, it'll be with a whimper, in a different team's jersey. I've never been a big Packers fan, but I have to say they seem like some of the most hardcore fans in the sport, dealing with the crappy weather and cold, losing seasons, etc. They deserved to see one of their heroes enshrined in their colors. Favre robbed them of that. I guess the Super Bowl Ring and millions of dollars he made in Green Bay just weren't enough...apparently he has to have a 30-year career too. Sheesh.

The problems with his first retirement were as much the packers fault as they were his they pretty much tried to force him out in favor of a younger QB , this time I can see him holding off to feel out his arm after the surgery but it has been enough already , all though I do believe he will have an impact on the season .

jim
Old 08-19-09, 05:21 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
The problems with his first retirement were as much the packers fault as they were his they pretty much tried to force him out in favor of a younger QB , this time I can see him holding off to feel out his arm after the surgery but it has been enough already , all though I do believe he will have an impact on the season .

jim
I agree the Packers were "at fault", but it's just the natural life-cycle of a quarterback, or any player for that matter. If Favre was playing well, they wouldn't have replaced him. And does anyone feel sorry for, or even remember the name of the guy Favre replaced when he was a rookie? I'm sure Favre didn't feel bad for the guy, and he shouldn't have.

My idol back in the day...Dan Marino...stepped down when he could have easily played a few more years with that ridiculous arm of his. Yes, he was past his prime, and he was making some costly mistakes he wouldn't have made 5 years before. Even though he never got a (much deserved) Super Bowl ring, he had the dignity to step down for the good of his team. I believe people think better of him for it.

Favre will be an okay quarterback. Man, I'm glad I don't have to remember Marino as "okay".
Old 08-19-09, 05:26 PM   #24
Jim80

Favre had a great year last year right up till the end and if he's 100% i can see the vikings in the playoffs plus the guy is a beast .

Jim
Old 08-19-09, 06:03 PM   #25
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I agree the Packers were "at fault", but it's just the natural life-cycle of a quarterback, or any player for that matter. If Favre was playing well, they wouldn't have replaced him. And does anyone feel sorry for, or even remember the name of the guy Favre replaced when he was a rookie? I'm sure Favre didn't feel bad for the guy, and he shouldn't have.

My idol back in the day...Dan Marino...stepped down when he could have easily played a few more years with that ridiculous arm of his. Yes, he was past his prime, and he was making some costly mistakes he wouldn't have made 5 years before. Even though he never got a (much deserved) Super Bowl ring, he had the dignity to step down for the good of his team. I believe people think better of him for it.

Favre will be an okay quarterback. Man, I'm glad I don't have to remember Marino as "okay".
Who?

Just kiddin.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.