Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-21-08, 11:36 AM   #1
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 16'ers - Safe on larger lakes?

If you've noted my other thread, I'm in the process of refurbishing a 1986 Glasstream 1550. It's a 16'er and perfect size (I think) for me and my son to fish. However, I was reading another post about the Nitro and the concern about fishing it on a larger lake. I do most of my fishing on Lake Gaston. Gaston is a long narrow lake on the west end, with lots of creeks and coves. It doesn't widen out until it gets near the Roanoke Dam to what I would consider a 'large' lake where the swells can get pretty good.

I'm a long time boater, but with a deep v-hull fish/ski 19'er and have never had problems navigating the lake even in the worse of conditions. What can I expect from the Glasstream, and its shallow draft and shortened length. I am encouraged by what little info I can find on this hull style that it is wide, very stable and somewhat ahead of its time when manufactured in the 80's. But I want to be safe. If it means I stay on the west end where all I have to deal with is current (from opening the Kerr Lake Dam), then so be it.

Any insight on this type of boat navigating vs what I'm used to would be greatly appreciated.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 05:22 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

robert

i have been on gaston in some very nasty weather. gaston is not bad unless the wind gets up. in rough water these lil boats tend to bang around a bit.. i have a 15'11'' stratos i have fished gaston, buggs,albermarle sound,pamlico sound and norman with it.. i am not scared to fish them either.. knowing what i can and can't do with that lil boat is probly the most important thing i learned. i have learned to avoid certain lakes at times when they get the roughest.. late afternoons seemed to be the roughest...

zooker
Old 08-21-08, 06:19 PM   #3
robertmee

Thanks bud.......
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 06:24 PM   #4
tnfisherman

i take a 17 footer on cherkoee lake here in tn , and the waves on it is most of the time is 2 to 4 foot high,,and i havent had to trouble with mine
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 08:12 PM   #5
rangerryan

a guy should always be careful on any lake when the wind picks up or the weather changes there isnt a fish out there worth risking a life. as long as you drive safely and watch the weather you should be ok i own a 21 foot ranger and i had a wake from a massive boat come over the front of the boat on grand lake and it was mostly because i was in a hurry during a tourny i just got a little wet and had to bilge water the rest of the way to my spot but it could have been prevented by paying closer attention. when i pulled the throttle back to try to keep from hitting the wave a 15 foot john boat cruised on by over the wakes and never missed a lick.

Last edited by rangerryan; 08-21-08 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 08:40 PM   #6
JB

i had a 79 glastron and it was 17 ft, did take a few waves from time to time in really heavy wind, but other than that did ok, just pay attention to weather channels predictions on winds for that day..anything over 15-25 can be challenging on some of the flat land area lakes up north ohio. just keep a heads up and you'll be fine.

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 07:41 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ANY lake in ANY bad weather can be dangerous whether your in a 21ftr or a 16ftr. Use good judement and you will be ok.
Old 08-22-08, 09:31 AM   #8
tnfisherman

the wind is aways blowing on cherkoee
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 02:54 PM   #9
zooker

i fished a club tourny on gaston with a cat 2 hurricane 100 miles away. i was in a 20 foot sprint boat. though several members of the club had short boats no one had any problems..my kin fished it with us from a 16'8'' skeeter..

zooker
Old 08-22-08, 09:10 PM   #10
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

"What can I expect from the Glasstream, and its shallow draft and shortened length."

A severe pounding in rough water. A friend had one with a 150 on it and it would handle like a dream in a short chop, but it would chip your teeth when hitting boat wakes and or waves. It should be a fun boat as long as you know it's limitations and respect that.

I live off of Lake Maurepas (Near New Orleans) on a canal that connects two rivers. It is a resort area and according to the Coast Guard " the most dangerous place to boat in the United States." Last week 5 killed in a boating accident and one in critical condition. There are many Hugh Cigarette boats running up and down the river and the waves hit the bulkheads and bounce back and fourth causing some very turbulent water. There are constantly people in small boats not knowing how to handle their boat in rough conditions. This causes accidents and many injuries as well as death.

A twenty food bass boat may make crossing a lake look like it is a piece of cake, but it becomes dangerous in a smaller craft.

Sorry for the rant, however, I don't want to see anyone get in over their head. Not saying that you would......maybe someone else reading this thread.

Buddy
buddy_fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 09:00 PM   #11
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

My brothers and I have A 16'er we have had on some pretty nasty swells with no problems. You just need to be careful and us some common sense. If its really nasty and your not comfortable that its safe dont go out.

Last edited by Showda; 08-23-08 at 09:08 PM.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.