Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-24-09, 12:18 PM   #1
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New rod and reel

hey guys i'm lookin to get a new set up I was just lookin for some info.
I want to get another baitcaster but I dont know kind I want to get. and I also need a good rod to go with it. can u guys help me out?
Old 05-24-09, 12:40 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We need more info, like are you planning on using it for crankbaits or jigs or just a little of this or a little of that. Also the amount of $$$ you want to spend.

Diawa Steeze combo -- oh about $900.00 OR
BPS Extreme combo on sale I believe for $99.00

I'll take the Extreme combo anyday

But any who you see what I mean, get the info on here and plenty of people will help you.
Old 05-24-09, 01:46 PM   #3
Jim80

A dollar amount would really help there are solid casters from 40.00 up and good rods for about the same

jim
Old 05-24-09, 04:55 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Because of recent problems with some cheaper baitcasters, 100 bucks is the minimum I'll pay, unless it's a better reeel I got a deal on. So, I'll go ahead and assume you're looking to spend 200-300 bucks on a combo.

Shimano citica is a good reel for the price, as well as a Daiwa Tierra. I haven't used BPS reels in that price range much, but the rick Clunn and Pro qualifier reels are both good. As for rod, Shimano compre or Crucials are hard to beat. I recently got to hold some Falcon and Kistler rods. The lowrider was nice (the tip was fairly cheap though) and the Cara felt amazing for the price. The Kistler Magnesium TS was great too, but I think I'd take the Cara before the Magnesium. I haven't used them, but I've heard the Daiwa Light and Tough rods are good too.

Now, if you're looking to spend more on a combo: Daiwa Viento or Zillion (the zillion if probably the best reel I've used to date). Shimano Curado is a great reel too. Abu garcia Revo STX or Premier. I've heard the SX fished identical to the STX, so I'd probably get that. Don't waste your money on the Skeet Reese. I got mine for 180 bucks and probably wouldn't pay much more for another one. I'd rather have the SX or STX. BPS Johnny Morris Signature reels are great. The dual brake system casts good. For a higher end rod, Daiwa Zillion, Shimano Cumara, Kistler Helium LTX or LTXII.

BB
Old 05-25-09, 12:43 AM   #5
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

well i think i would like a setup for cranks and jigs. iwouldnt want spend more than $300 tho.
Old 05-25-09, 03:55 AM   #6
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A revo S or shimano citica would be good, paired up with a st. Croix mojo bass and you could get out around 200, look a little on e-bay and you may get a revo winch, which is a great reel. go with a 7' mh with a medium action for cranks or a 7'6" heavy fast action for jigs. Somewhere in between if you want it to be a crossover rod.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 07:24 AM   #7
Bassboss

Ya, what's you price range? You're probably not gonna want to spend 300 500 bucks are you?

IF it's your first or second bait caster, I would say just form what these huys have said, and reviews, that two great reels are the Abu Garcia Revo S (130$), Shimano Citica(120$), and Abu Garcia Revo SX (150 or 160).

And a good rod is the St. Croix MOJO rod (about 100$) Berkly lighting shock rod (50$) shimano Compre (120$).

Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-09, 09:53 AM   #8
keithdog

I use a different setup for cranks and jigs. I prefer a medium action rod and a reel with a slower gear ratio of around 5.3-1 for cranks coupled with 12 pound test line. For Jigs I use a 7 foot medium heavy rod with a higher gear ratio reel of 6.3-1 spooled with 17-20 pound flourocarbon line or 30 pound braid. So trying to merge the two into one I would probably stick with a 7 foot medium heavy rod wwith a fast tip. I really like the ProQualifyer rods from BPS. At $139.00 it's a hell of a rod. Also, the BPS Extreme rods are a very good rod for under $100.00. As for reels, you can't go wrong with the Garcia Revos. The Revo S or SX would work well. Another reel to consider would be the BPS Rick Clun signiture series reel. You can get that reel in a 5.4-1 gear ration which would work better with crankbaits. I have used this reel for two years now and love it. Another reel that doesn't get mentioned in here often is the Cabelas Prodigy reel. I have three of those now and I would happily take another one. One of the best reels I've ever casted. And for $99.00 dollars it's also a hell of a deal. Spool up with 14 pound Copolymer IMOP. It has less stretch than mono, it's tougher than mono, and thinner diameter than mono. But it casts easier than flourocarbon. SilverThread makes a great copolymer line. The 14 pound line will suffice as both a jig line as well as a crankbait line.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 03:04 PM   #9
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Ya, what's you price range? You're probably not gonna want to spend 300 500 bucks are you?

IF it's your first or second bait caster, I would say just form what these huys have said, and reviews, that two great reels are the Abu Garcia Revo S (130$), Shimano Citica(120$), and Abu Garcia Revo SX (150 or 160).

And a good rod is the St. Croix MOJO rod (about 100$) Berkly lighting shock rod (50$) shimano Compre (120$).

Hope this helps!
He did outline his price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinbassgod View Post
well i think i would like a setup for cranks and jigs. iwouldnt want spend more than $300 tho.
And where are you paying 130 for a revo s, you need to find somewhere that values their customers, I find them for 100 or less all the time!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 04:41 PM   #10
BigBassin144

First off, for cranks and jigs, you probably COULD use the same setup, but those two, IMO, are not very good to use on the same rod. Oh, and when it comes to rods and reels, most of the time you should buy the best you can afford. So if your budget is 300, spend 300.

So, here's an outline of what would work best for under 300 bucks for those two techniques.

Cranking:Line: I use 8-10lb mono.

You're going to want a low speed reel (probably a 4.9:1 to a 5.4:1 gear ratio) But when picking out a reel for a slow technique, don't just look at the grear reation. For example: The Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker, although a lower gear ration, reels in more line per handle turn than the Abu Garcia Winch. While it's not much (only like an inch or two), it proves my point. Another example if while a normal speed (6.2 to 6.4:1) will reel around 28" per handle turn, the 6.4:1 gear ratio Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo only reels in 24".

Not that we've got that out of the way, for a cranking set up, I'd spend about twice as much on the reel than on the rod. (so 200 on the reel and 100 for the rod w/ a 300 budget). My reasoning behind this is that when crankbait fishing, you don't been sensitivity in a rod that much, but you need a good reel to throw the lighter cranks and get the most distance you can. And, you want your reel to be as smooth as possible. Here's some reels I'd use:
-Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker reel. While it's a bit more expensive, I think it's worth it. I personally haven't used the Zillion CC, but the Zillions are one of the best reels I've used.
-Next is the Abu Garcia Revo Winch. Coming in at 200 bucks, it fits your situation perfectly. I've used this reel and would definately recommend it.
-A new comer on the cranking reel scene is the new Shimano curado 5.1:1 (I think) gear reatio reel. At a little under 200 bucks, it leaves you a bit more cash to spend on the rod. While I haven't used this reel, or any of the curados, if it lives up to shimano's reputation, you should be pleased.

Moving on to rods. For cranking, you'll want a rod that has a Moderate action. This means more of the rod will bend and in crankbait fishing, this results in less fish throwing the bait. As for length, I prefer a longer rod for cranking. I like a 7' to 7'6" rod. I like these because they give you more distance and you can control which way the cranks is going a bit better than with a shorter rod. Also, for shallow and medium cranks, I will use a Medium power rod, but a MH power rod is better suited towards deep divers like DD22's.

the other thing you have to take into consideration when purchasing a crankbait rod is the material it's made of. Now days, you've got three choices.
-Graphite. These sticks will be priced about in the middle (depends on brand though) and are good all around IMO. Although you don't need it too much, graphite will give you greater sensitivity. It is also very light weight.
-Fiberglass. Glass rods are my least favorite because they are bulky and heavy. While new advances in glass rods have made them lighter, they can't compete with graphite. glass rods do; however, give you the slow action that's perfect for cranking.
-Dual. A lot rod rod companies that are making rod specifically for cranking, and using a combination of graphite (or carbon fiber) and fiberglass. Most of these rods have a graphite butt section with enough strength and backbone that you don't feel overpowered by the fish, but with a fiberglass tip section that cushions the fish, keeping it from throwing the hook. These rods, because of the advanced technology behind blending the two materials are going to be, for the most part, your most expensive choice.

When purchasing a rod, I'd get a rod made specifically for crankbait fishing. Like these:
-Falcon Lowrider. There are a number of crankbait rods in this nicely priced lineup, making it easier to find one that suits your needs
-Shimano Compre. again, a good selection of crankbait rods. Pick the one that suits your fishing style.
-Phenix X10 and X12 are great rods, although they are a bit on the pricey side for a crankbait rod IMO.

Jigs Now, as I don't fish jigs that much, I can't give you as much info, but here it goes. For line, I use 30lb braid, but you can go up to 50 or more if you're fishing really nasty stuff. For cost, I'd split it 50/50 bnetween rod and reel or give a bit more to the rod.

For a reel, I prefer at least a 6.3:1 gear ratio reel, with a 7:1 or higher being even better to bring in your bait fast for another cast and pulling fish out of weeds before they can get buried real good.
Reels: Daiwa Zillion (7.1:1) or Tierra, Abu Garcia Revo SX (has great drag, 24lbs!!), Shimano Citica (I use this one, and it's priced right at 120 bucks).

For a rod, you can use anywhere from 7'MH or H to 7'6" MH or H or even XH if you're fishing real nasty cover. I prefer the 7' to pitch and cast jigs, but the 7'6" gives you a bit more distance flipping.As for action, you'll want a Fast or Extra Fast action.
Falcon Lowrider or Cara
Shimano Compre or Crucial
Kister Magnesium

Hope this helps.

BB
Old 05-29-09, 10:17 AM   #11
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Go to Dick’s Sporting Goods and get the Quantum Shaw Grigsby combo for about $80.00. I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve caught bass on all types of lures, including swim baits, spinners, crank baits, plastic worms, real night crawlers, minnow, etc., and I use the same reel and rod. On that same real and rod I’ve also caught catfish, bullhead, crappie, and bluegill. So I guess I don’t really see the need to buy a combo based on if I’m jiggin, crankin, swimm, drop shotting, so on and so forth. The fish don’t seem to care what you’re holding in your hand. If they’re hungry or mad and wanna eat something, they’re gonna eat regardless if a $500 Shimano is on the other end or a $20.00 combo from Wal-Mart is on the other end.

With that said, if I have the means to purchase a quality combo I do. If you have $200.00 to spend, do it. But I’m sort of a part-time antagonist when it comes to spending money on high dollar stuff just because you can. I have a ABU Revo SX. Unless I win the lottery I won’t spend that much on another reel or even a combo again. Okay wait, if my wife says I can splurge for like my birthday or something like that, then maybe I’d come close to spending that much again. Yeah, because I’ve been eyeing that Kevin Van Dam combo for quite some time now. I have a cheaper Quantum that has worked flawlessly every since I figured out the backlash thing.

But in the end everyone’s situation is different so go for what you feel is right. In the mean time I’m going to BPS to play with the KVD combo a little more.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 07:48 PM   #12
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

For your basic baitcast setup to cover all your bass lures get a 6:31 Abu Revo Baitcaster...get the best one you can afford and an AiRRUS Ultra XL 6'9" medium heavy casting rod. This setup is perfectly balanced and will make you fish like a pro.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:53 PM   #13
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
First off, for cranks and jigs, you probably COULD use the same setup, but those two, IMO, are not very good to use on the same rod. Oh, and when it comes to rods and reels, most of the time you should buy the best you can afford. So if your budget is 300, spend 300.

So, here's an outline of what would work best for under 300 bucks for those two techniques.

Cranking:Line: I use 8-10lb mono.

You're going to want a low speed reel (probably a 4.9:1 to a 5.4:1 gear ratio) But when picking out a reel for a slow technique, don't just look at the grear reation. For example: The Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker, although a lower gear ration, reels in more line per handle turn than the Abu Garcia Winch. While it's not much (only like an inch or two), it proves my point. Another example if while a normal speed (6.2 to 6.4:1) will reel around 28" per handle turn, the 6.4:1 gear ratio Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo only reels in 24".

Not that we've got that out of the way, for a cranking set up, I'd spend about twice as much on the reel than on the rod. (so 200 on the reel and 100 for the rod w/ a 300 budget). My reasoning behind this is that when crankbait fishing, you don't been sensitivity in a rod that much, but you need a good reel to throw the lighter cranks and get the most distance you can. And, you want your reel to be as smooth as possible. Here's some reels I'd use:
-Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker reel. While it's a bit more expensive, I think it's worth it. I personally haven't used the Zillion CC, but the Zillions are one of the best reels I've used.
-Next is the Abu Garcia Revo Winch. Coming in at 200 bucks, it fits your situation perfectly. I've used this reel and would definately recommend it.
-A new comer on the cranking reel scene is the new Shimano curado 5.1:1 (I think) gear reatio reel. At a little under 200 bucks, it leaves you a bit more cash to spend on the rod. While I haven't used this reel, or any of the curados, if it lives up to shimano's reputation, you should be pleased.

Moving on to rods. For cranking, you'll want a rod that has a Moderate action. This means more of the rod will bend and in crankbait fishing, this results in less fish throwing the bait. As for length, I prefer a longer rod for cranking. I like a 7' to 7'6" rod. I like these because they give you more distance and you can control which way the cranks is going a bit better than with a shorter rod. Also, for shallow and medium cranks, I will use a Medium power rod, but a MH power rod is better suited towards deep divers like DD22's.

the other thing you have to take into consideration when purchasing a crankbait rod is the material it's made of. Now days, you've got three choices.
-Graphite. These sticks will be priced about in the middle (depends on brand though) and are good all around IMO. Although you don't need it too much, graphite will give you greater sensitivity. It is also very light weight.
-Fiberglass. Glass rods are my least favorite because they are bulky and heavy. While new advances in glass rods have made them lighter, they can't compete with graphite. glass rods do; however, give you the slow action that's perfect for cranking.
-Dual. A lot rod rod companies that are making rod specifically for cranking, and using a combination of graphite (or carbon fiber) and fiberglass. Most of these rods have a graphite butt section with enough strength and backbone that you don't feel overpowered by the fish, but with a fiberglass tip section that cushions the fish, keeping it from throwing the hook. These rods, because of the advanced technology behind blending the two materials are going to be, for the most part, your most expensive choice.

When purchasing a rod, I'd get a rod made specifically for crankbait fishing. Like these:
-Falcon Lowrider. There are a number of crankbait rods in this nicely priced lineup, making it easier to find one that suits your needs
-Shimano Compre. again, a good selection of crankbait rods. Pick the one that suits your fishing style.
-Phenix X10 and X12 are great rods, although they are a bit on the pricey side for a crankbait rod IMO.

Jigs Now, as I don't fish jigs that much, I can't give you as much info, but here it goes. For line, I use 30lb braid, but you can go up to 50 or more if you're fishing really nasty stuff. For cost, I'd split it 50/50 bnetween rod and reel or give a bit more to the rod.

For a reel, I prefer at least a 6.3:1 gear ratio reel, with a 7:1 or higher being even better to bring in your bait fast for another cast and pulling fish out of weeds before they can get buried real good.
Reels: Daiwa Zillion (7.1:1) or Tierra, Abu Garcia Revo SX (has great drag, 24lbs!!), Shimano Citica (I use this one, and it's priced right at 120 bucks).

For a rod, you can use anywhere from 7'MH or H to 7'6" MH or H or even XH if you're fishing real nasty cover. I prefer the 7' to pitch and cast jigs, but the 7'6" gives you a bit more distance flipping.As for action, you'll want a Fast or Extra Fast action.
Falcon Lowrider or Cara
Shimano Compre or Crucial
Kister Magnesium

Hope this helps.

BB
BB, I just wanted to say that I took notice to your Great Post!

Very informative, Well done!

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 02:41 PM   #14
BigBassin144

lol, thanks Woody.

I try to help where I can.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.