Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-14-09, 07:51 PM   #1
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Line Colors?

Found this

What do you think? Is line color other than clear something you consider or elect to use because of its color.

Green

This color is ideal for water types ranging from glacial and high run off river systems to all oceanic regions of the world. Green is also suited for fishing in clear lakes to lakes that have large algae blooms. Because green is similar to many bio organisms, it will "blend-in" to the background of the typical surroundings with which a fish is familiar.

Yellow/White
These two colors are designed for applications where a high visibility line is necessary. It is typical for anglers to use a short fluorocarbon leader with Hi-Viz lines, especially in clear waters. The angler is able to accomplish the goal of having a line that is invisible to fish that are close to the bait or lure by adding fluorocarbon. Yellow and White PowerPro applications range from Bobber fishing the rivers of the Great North West to Fly-lining sardines and anchovies along the California coast fishing the lakes and rivers of our Nation's central regions for bass, walleye and catfish to targeting Fluke and Stripers in the North East; pelagic fisherman looking for better spread management on the troll to inshore fisherman targeting Snook, redfish and trout. High visibility lines can be used in all applications.

Red
In recent years there has been a craze among fisherman to use Red line. But Why? The logic behind this trend is based largely on the color spectrum in water. Since shades of red are the first color to fade, it is thought that by using red colored line, the angler's line "disappear" underwater. Truth be told, Red does not disappear but in fact turn to a shade of Gray. This gray tone will help to blend the line in to the background and become much less visible to most fish that swim. The color red will completely fade out at a depth of 14 feet. Therefore, when targeting fish in depths of 20 feet or greater, Red Line is ideal. Whether you are deep cranking for bass; trolling for lake trout, walleye or salmon; to bottom fishing in deep rivers...Red PowerPro should be on your reel.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-14-09 at 10:02 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 02:32 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I prefer clear lines when possible and green for braid because they're easy on my eyes. However, if what I want isn't available, I'll use a colored line without a second thought. I received a free spool of red spider wire mono in 8# and it is a pretty darn good line. It handled all of my pink salmon catches in the salt without a single problem and they can fight good.

It got me bites when others around me couldn't and there really isn't a way for me to know with reasonable certainty if it were the red color of the line or the line's diameter (relative to line used by other anglers around me who would normally use 12-20# for this type of fishing) or a combination of both.

If you really want to get the scoop on the color shift in water, I highly recommend reading the book titled, "What Fish See," by Dr. Colin Kageyama. It is probably available at your public library. After reading this book, you could save a whole lot of money on color selection of your lures.

Title: What Fish See
Author: Colin J, Kageyama, O.D., F.C.O.V.D.
ISBN: 1-57188-140-9
IB’s Note: Tons of information about the color shift that happens underwater. While it mainly focuses on steelhead and salmon, the knowledge Dr. Kageyama imparts is invaluable for bass anglers too. BTW, there is a bass section that I found most informative. I have become a better angler after reading this book. Make better, more educated selections in your choices for lure colors.
Old 10-15-09, 06:54 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to line color, however I will give you my look at it. I really think it must have more to do with water conditions, the water you fish in. About 25 years ago I switched over from clear mono to green mono. My catch rate went way up when I did so. So I stayed with green mono all these years. Two years ago, I started experimenting with various lines, nearly all of which were clear. While I caught fish my catch rate went down well below what I would normally expect. Four weeks ago I stripped off all the line from my reels that were spooled with mono and filled them with the same green Trilene XL I had been using previously for over 20 years and my catch rate shot through the roof. In fact, I had one of the best days fishing in my life last saturday. Coincidence? I don't know, but I think I'm staying with green. But someone who fishes in very clear water may have mixed results using green. I think it just depends on the water your fishing in.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 07:09 AM   #4
nofearengineer

You've got a good point, Keith. I, for one, use a lot of green mono, because my home lake, Patoka is a clear, stained lake, on the green side.

I wonder if I am going to have trouble with it at Dale Hollow with the ultra clear water, and if I should put clear line on, or at least bring some along.
Old 10-15-09, 07:40 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Clear - Most of the line I use is clear, with the exception of braid. Now, I only use mono for a couple things: cranks and topwaters. Everything else is either Fluorocarbon or p-line floroclear.

There is a debate with fluoro about clear vs. other colors. One side says the near complete invisibility of clear fluoro is fine, the other says that clear fluoro will reflect light and 'sparkle'. So, if you notice, a couple companies have tinted fluorocarbons (Trilene 100% comes in a green tint and Stren 100% comes in blue, but both do offer clear as well). This is a quote directly from Seaguar's website about colored fluoros. "...Actually adding color to 100% fluorocarbon makes it weaker, as the dye pigments mix with the fluorocarbon resins. It remains visible until sunlight is completely removed..."

High Vis - I have only ever used high vis line ice fishing, and even then you have a clear mono leader. I was thinking about switching my dropshot over to neon fire suffix braid instead of the green since the green is hard to watch for bites.

Green - Never really used green either (besides braid), but after what a couple of you have said, I plan on trying some. Maybe pick up some green Floroclear next spring.

BB
Old 10-15-09, 08:18 AM   #6
nofearengineer

I use hi-vis yellow mono with a 3'-4' clear fluorocarbon leader on my Carolina rigs. I have picked up several strikes visually during the occasional slack moment.
Old 10-15-09, 11:14 AM   #7
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
If you really want to get the scoop on the color shift in water, I highly recommend reading the book titled, "What Fish See," by Dr. Colin Kageyama. It is probably available at your public library. After reading this book, you could save a whole lot of money on color selection of your lures.

Title: What Fish See
Author: Colin J, Kageyama, O.D., F.C.O.V.D.
ISBN: 1-57188-140-9
Can't pass up a good read. Thanks for the reference. Do you have the hardback? I see it listed for $60.00 limited edition. I also see it for $19.95 I'm hoping there is a paperback. It gets great reviews.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-15-09 at 11:23 AM. Reason: If found it for $19.95
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 11:53 AM   #8
Raul

Colored lines are a cool and easy method to code the line lb test you got spooled in your reels specially when you have several reels of the same model on your rods, that´s how I differentiate, just a quick look at the line and depending upon line color I know what LB test that reel has spooled in it.

So

8 lbs ---> clear blue fluorescent
10 lbs ---> clear
12 lbs ---> moss green
14 lbs ---> smoke

You think line visibility is an issue ? use a leader of clear line.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 02:14 PM   #9
cassidyta

I had gotten caught up in the color phase a while ago, but in my experience, it has not made much of a difference. The only time I focus on color is for my braid. I prefer red because it is easier for me to see. I throw a lot of frogs and most of them are into some very nasty junk. I like being able to see if my line has the potential to get wrapped on something. The green blended into the surrounding vegitation too easily.
Old 10-16-09, 12:49 AM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
Can't pass up a good read. Thanks for the reference. Do you have the hardback? I see it listed for $60.00 limited edition. I also see it for $19.95 I'm hoping there is a paperback. It gets great reviews.

I have the paperback. I didn't know there was a hard back version. Good to see it's still the same price as when I bought it a couple years ago at $19.95. As I said, the focuses on mainly in salmon and steelhead, but the information about color shift applies to any fish, any water.

I borrowed it from the library and liked it so much that I bought it.
Old 10-16-09, 10:13 AM   #11
muddy

I use Stren Original and Trilene XL in 8,10 and 12 lb teat ( 8 on tjhe spinning rig)
I use Flor Blue/Clear and Green, How I choose: Whats on sale, either way it works jhust fine, same amount of bites and hook ups.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:32 AM   #12
BeaverIslander

I use green Suffix Elite mono, green PowerPro braid, and clear Trilene 100% Floro. With the braid, when it starts to lighten up from use, I color it with a green permanent marker.

BTW, I just switched from Trilene XT to Suffix Elite this season and I'm never going back. I use the 10, 12, and 17 for cranks, buzzers/topwater, and spinners and I'm very impressed with it's castability vs. durability ratio over the Trilene XL and XT.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:48 AM   #13
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I have the paperback. I didn't know there was a hard back version. Good to see it's still the same price as when I bought it a couple years ago at $19.95. As I said, the focuses on mainly in salmon and steelhead, but the information about color shift applies to any fish, any water.

I borrowed it from the library and liked it so much that I bought it.
I'll check my library. Im thinking that the $60.00 limited edition may have been like a signed edition or something. Thanks for the lead.
Old 10-16-09, 12:26 PM   #14
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I use moss green colored braided line, but the color soon wears off and it is a lighter green color when it gets used a lot. I tie jigs, tubes, and most other baits directly to the line and have not seen any drop in catch rates or size of fish over the past several years. Most of the "clear" mono or co-poly lines have been Pline Fluoroclear and it has worked well for crank baits and top water fishing. Tried for the first time while in Florida last year, Pline XX in a mist green color. Used their 12 lb test on a cranking rod throwing Red Eye shads and it worked very well around the hydrilla beds. After getting back to NY that same line worked using similar baits around milfoil. Not sure if the color had that much to do with it, but it worked well for me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.