Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-04-11, 11:27 PM   #26
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have three of the Tournament Pro, prior to fishing these reels, I prefered the Abu Garcia Revo line of reels. These reels are lighter and come with a carbon fiber handle, the finish on the reel is very durable. I feel that they both cast and retrieve slightly better than most of the Revo's I own. This is a link to a review that gave them great scores. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlewstournamentpro.html

The biggest unknown with these reels is durability, but looking at the individual components of the reel, I do not see where this will be a problem.
Old 06-06-11, 10:48 AM   #27
rrw4258

I throw my vote for the Quantum Smoke. I own around 10 of them now, and they are very nice reels. I prefer the 100 series over the 150 series. Besides looking badass, the they are light, and disassembly is a snap for these reels. All the internals seem to be built really well and the reel seems very sturdy for it's weight. At 6.2 ounces it is definatley a winner, and the ebay prices makes them all that much better.

Ryan
Old 06-06-11, 10:56 AM   #28
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

damn u guys have me torn...it is definately between the Smoke and the Lew's...I would opt for the 100 series definately over the 150...such a hard decision to make...
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 11:09 AM   #29
Tavery5

Ultimately, when you get to reels of this expense it is largely going to be based on what feels good to you. I would try to do what many others have suggested and put the reels on your rod and see which you prefer. I like both of these reels very much, I made my decision on the Lews based on the dual brakeing, and the carbon fiber handle. I don't think you will be sorry with either one.

good luck
Old 06-06-11, 11:12 AM   #30
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Gut wrenching, isn't it hahahahaah Thumbs Up!
Old 06-06-11, 11:13 AM   #31
LeBron_Hill

or maybe I could hit the lottery and buy one of each...lol
Old 06-06-11, 03:52 PM   #32
Sherm
BassFishin.Com Member

Zebco "33" with the Rhino rod.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 04:40 PM   #33
LeBron_Hill

negative ghostrider...lol
Old 06-06-11, 06:32 PM   #34
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

How durable do yall think these new reels are? (admittedly hard to tell without the years being put in) Cause in my experience, there are reels that are awesome the day you buy them, but 3 years later are no longer so great, and then there are reels that stay the same season after season.
Old 06-06-11, 07:02 PM   #35
Tavery5

Durability is the big unknown with new reels and we can only speculate how well they will perform in the long run. I have disassembled and looked at all the components that make up the Lews Tournament Pro Speed Spool, in my mind it is built from the same blueprint as the Revo line of reels, with that in mind I can see no reason why it should not last several seasons.
Old 06-20-11, 09:02 AM   #36
LeBron_Hill

Well I finally bit the bullet this weekend and ordered a Smoke PT100 to pair with my Duckett rod...Hard to pass up the deal that Gander Mountain had going on. The reel shipped to my door for $139. Should bring this combo in at a whopping 9.9 ounces...lol. THEN i got on ebay last night and saw a sweet deal on a REVO STX...bid $100 and woke up this morning to see that I won that also...didnt really plan on winning it but guess its mine now. Hard to pass up that kinda deal anyways, especially with a 30 day money back guarantee.
Old 06-20-11, 09:12 AM   #37
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Congrats on the good deals?

Is that Revo the 2010 model? New or used?

BB
Old 06-20-11, 09:50 AM   #38
LeBron_Hill

nevermind the stx...guy didnt state that it was a 2009 model without the dual braking. I contacted him and asked if we could enforce the 30 day money back guarantee before he even shipped it and told him that I was really sorry for messing up his sale. Im waiting to hear back from him and see what he has to say.
Old 06-20-11, 01:41 PM   #39
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Yeah, you have to watch on the 2009 vs 2010 models. I won an STX with a picture of a 2009, but the description clearly stated 2010. They sent me the 2009 and after a week of excuses on their part, I finally got them to send me the 2010. However, that was with a company.

BB
Old 06-20-11, 02:13 PM   #40
LeBron_Hill

they cancelled the order...great customer service in my eyes. I figured that I would be stuck with it.
Old 06-20-11, 03:22 PM   #41
Bassboss

Congrats on the good deal of on the smoke. I'm sure you'll like it. To bad about the STX though, those new STX's are dandy reel from what I hear, super smooth.
Old 06-21-11, 01:02 PM   #42
BigBurlyBass

smoke... no doubt smoke. Haven't fished with one personally but have heard nothing but great things about it from a bunch of different sources. The smoke is almost gonna be my definite next reel. Another reel I will buy again is the skeet reese victory rod and reel, I bought one back in march and LOVE IT! Looks great, casts super smooth and far, smooth retrieve, great breaking and drag, I really like the extra long handle and the big paddle grips on the reel it makes fighting fish and reeling in baits very easy. The combo of the victory reel and a tessera rod feel great! And for under 200$ for the combo you can't beat it!

Last edited by BigBurlyBass; 06-21-11 at 01:08 PM.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 01:13 PM   #43
BigBurlyBass

[QUOTE=LeBron_Hill;344160]Well I finally bit the bullet this weekend and ordered a Smoke PT100 to pair with my Duckett rod...Hard to pass up the deal that Gander Mountain had going on. The reel shipped to my door for $139. Should bring this combo in at a whopping 9.9 ounces...lol. THEN i got on ebay last night and saw a sweet deal on a REVO STX...bid $100 and woke up this morning to see that I won that also...didnt really plan on winning it but guess its mine now. Hard to pass up that kinda deal anyways, especially with a 30 day money back guarantee.[/QUOT

How did you get such a good deal on the smoke? I just looked at gander mountain and they are like 200.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 01:22 PM   #44
LeBron_Hill

gander was running a sale...i think it ended yesterday...add the item to your cart and it showed up for $159...put in the coupon code of gmg20 and it was an additional $20 off...put that with free shipping and viola...$139 to your door

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.