Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-11, 07:20 PM   #1
Jobbyz
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which one?

Which one and why?

Bait caster or spinning reel...
Jobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 07:50 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For what conditions? What lures? what techniques?

BB
Old 08-22-11, 09:43 PM   #3
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

bait caster bc it feels a lot better and im more accurate. but yeah depends what lures and techniques. 99.9% of my fishing is done with a baitcaster tho.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 10:51 PM   #4
Bassboss

Spinning reel = Light line, light lures, finesse
Baitcaster =Any time I don't need light line, light lures, and finesse.
Old 08-23-11, 05:38 AM   #5
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I have and use both. Wouldn't want to have to give up either.....
Old 08-23-11, 08:49 AM   #6
DVT Mike

Both have their time and place. In general, spinning tackle makes finesse presentations (light line, small baits) easier. I'd define light line as <10lb test. Mastering both types of tackle isn't mandatory to catch fish, but IMO will enhance the angling experience.
Old 08-23-11, 10:18 AM   #7
mrmuskie5

If you aren't using both you are limiting yourself. I can say i use a baitcaster far more but saying that i wouldn't leave the house with out a few spinning rigs
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 01:37 PM   #8
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Spinning reel......skipping lightweight baits, senkos or flukes, under docks. Nuff said.
Old 08-23-11, 02:03 PM   #9
Tavery5

BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-11, 02:45 PM   #10
Leviathan
BassFishin.Com Member

baitcaster for better distance and accuracy.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 02:57 PM   #11
DVT Mike

I'd agree with accuracy, but for raw casting distance spinning tackle with matching rod, line and bait can't be beat.
Old 08-23-11, 03:25 PM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I'd agree with accuracy, but for raw casting distance spinning tackle with matching rod, line and bait can't be beat.
I think I would agree with that, at least for bass fishing gear. Do you think it is the line coming off the fixed spool relatively friction free that aids in the casting distance vs. casting reels?

A different category, casting distance contests, it appears that the major choice are souped of casting reels.

To the question, I see both as tools. While many techniques can be served equally well with both, there will be those few where one might be a better choice over the other.

It would behoove the angler to be proficient in knowing how to maximize the use of both reel types.

Incidentally I love using both.
Old 08-23-11, 10:27 PM   #13
bassinbob

Both, but baitcasting is more fun.
Old 08-24-11, 10:19 AM   #14
DVT Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I think I would agree with that, at least for bass fishing gear. Do you think it is the line coming off the fixed spool relatively friction free that aids in the casting distance vs. casting reels?

A different category, casting distance contests, it appears that the major choice are souped of casting reels.

To the question, I see both as tools. While many techniques can be served equally well with both, there will be those few where one might be a better choice over the other.

It would behoove the angler to be proficient in knowing how to maximize the use of both reel types.

Incidentally I love using both.
Yes, without using energy to turn the spool and in the case of synchronized level winds, the worm gear, spinning tackle has a mechanical advantage. To optimize casting distance on spinning tackle you need a balanced setup as in line and lure weight that fall within the sweetspot of he rod blank. Another factor is matching reel spool diameter to the stripper guide (nearest the reel). When building rods we use a formula of .5/1 for guide to spool ratio as a starting point. For example, if the reel spool mearures 40mm across the spool lip, we'll use a 20mm stripper guide. This has been found to tame the line best with the least amount of ballooning and line slap.
Old 08-24-11, 09:33 PM   #15
bamabassman

tavery gave the MOST IMPORTANT REASON. hahahahaha!!!
Old 08-25-11, 04:17 AM   #16
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Yes, without using energy to turn the spool and in the case of synchronized level winds, the worm gear, spinning tackle has a mechanical advantage. To optimize casting distance on spinning tackle you need a balanced setup as in line and lure weight that fall within the sweetspot of he rod blank. Another factor is matching reel spool diameter to the stripper guide (nearest the reel). When building rods we use a formula of .5/1 for guide to spool ratio as a starting point. For example, if the reel spool mearures 40mm across the spool lip, we'll use a 20mm stripper guide. This has been found to tame the line best with the least amount of ballooning and line slap.
Thanks, Mike! That is awesome information. That is a very neat ratio and it would be cool to know how it was derived (I love the joy of math. I mean who would go out of there way to determine how to calculate a regular octagon just for fun? <re: project hammer> ) . After this calculation is made, is there a methodology/procedure to determine the distance from the reel/reel foot to that first guide? Sorry for asking as this digresses from the topic but my curiosity has been piqued and I might build a rod or two some time in the near future.
Old 08-25-11, 10:08 AM   #17
DVT Mike

The formula referred to as 27x was developed through trial and error, test casting and recording measurments. The way it works is to measure the spool diameter, multiply it by 27 and place the choker (1st running guide) there and every 3.5-4 inches out to the tip. Then draw a straight line from the center of the spool to the top edge of the choker, placing 2-3 guides of varying sizes along the same path with the largest measuring 1/2 the spool diameter. This is meant to get you close. We then static test by loading the blank and studying the line path which you want to match the blank's flex as closely as possible. Guidse are moved, added or removed to achieve the end result.
Old 08-25-11, 02:29 PM   #18
islandbass

Mike,

Thanks again. I am going to keep this piece for when I get to making my first rod.
Old 08-25-11, 02:33 PM   #19
Jrob78

Actually, the 27x method doesn't specify that the first reduction guide be half the size of the spool. It doesn't specify any particular guide sizes. It says that the largest guide should generally be at least half the size of the spool but relies on the line path from the spool to the choker to determine the size and placement of the reduction guides. It will generally work out that it will be roughly half the size of the spool but it isn't a hard fast rule.

That said, Mike is 100% correct about the 27x method being the best way to set up a spinning rod. It isn't hard to do, takes out the guess work and offers maximum performance. The only thing you need to know is the size of the spool on the reel you intend to use. You should also get more sizes in spinning guides than you'll actually need. You won't know exactly what sizes you'll use until you mock it up. The choker and running guides will be standard size running guides.

27x method

Last edited by Jrob78; 08-25-11 at 02:54 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 04:16 PM   #20
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbyz View Post
Which one and why?

Bait caster or spinning reel...
It depends on the preference of the fisherman and the technique you plan to use. Personally i use nothing but spinning reels but i also have big hands that don't work well with baitcasters.

Personally my favorite is a 2500-3500 spool, 7' one piece medium or ML rod, using a 3/8oz to 3/4oz lure with 25-40 lb braid. This combination gives me massive distance, excellent aiming and works well with both shallow and deep lures.

Last edited by screwballl; 09-03-11 at 04:28 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 04:47 PM   #21
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

Each one has their place in the fishing world and both have their pros and cons. But if I could get by using nothing but baitcasters I definitely would! And like screw ball said it's mostly preference
Old 09-03-11, 06:18 PM   #22
Bob Smith

I've been dying to use this one

Old 09-03-11, 10:30 PM   #23
kennethdaysale

How about this analogy: You love to hunt/shoot. You are considered to be a knowledgeable, accomplished and well rounded hunter/shooter. Would you go bear hunting with a 410 ? Or go on a dove hunt with a .450 marlin?
Rods and reels are tools...smart guys pick the right tool for the job.
Old 09-04-11, 12:06 PM   #24
joedog

But Ken if you could only afford one tool would it be baitcast or spinning? I am fortunate and have accumulated alot of tools, (for fishing) but if I could only take one tool with me it would be a spinning tool. Med. fast action 7 footer. Not an expert just my opinion.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 10:44 PM   #25
kennethdaysale

Well Joe if I could only afford one (I can only imagine whispering to myself "Oh God what fresh Hell is this?) I would have to pick a 2500 class Shimano mounted to the same rod you described, until I could get out and pick up some "awuminum" cans to sell. You can always force a spinning reel to act contrary to its design. Not so with a baitcaster.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.