Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-16-09, 07:30 PM   #1
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20
Default To those who fish from shore...

How many rods do you carry with you? What kind of setups. I have a spinning rod and reel, but was thinking about getting something else so that i don't have to continually pull off my spinners to switch to plastics.

Any thoughts?
Foyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 07:34 PM   #2
Love of the Sport

Just depends on my mood. usually 1 but sometimes 2. The places I fish from shore I fish often and can tell by the weather what they will or won't be biting.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 07:48 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like to Norman quite clips, I can tie on one clip, and use almost any bait. The only time I wont use them if I'm fishing worm t-rigged weighted, or spinnerbaits!

I carry one to two poles depending on the place I'm fishing. Most the time if I'm fishing my weedy spots, I'll bring one BC with 30lb braid, if it happens to be clear weedy water, I'll add a 20lb FC leader, if it not weedy and clear, I'll use a 15lb leader, I think that FC is underrated as far as lb test and invisibility! It takes a lot to look at my 20lb FC leader in 2" of water. No reason IMO to got under 12lb FC, nuf said, subject closed!! If I go to my more rocky, clearer, more pressured waters, and I plan on using shaky head, or drop shot, I'll also bring my spinning rod. But other wise, I'll only bring one BC rod and reel!

As far as tackle, I bring my tackle bag with all my stuff in it. You've seen it, I posted the pics in your "fill my newbie tackle box" thread, remember!

Good luck and good fishing!
Old 03-16-09, 07:53 PM   #4
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fished from shore for years and always take one rod. It's a 6'6", fast action, medium power and used with 10# mono for most of my years, except it's 15# braid for the last few years. I tend to move around a lot and don't want to constantly have to pick things up and put them down. In line with that, I've always carried my stuff in a shoulder bag.

On the other hand, if I was a patient guy who stayed in spots for some time, then I might bring two rigs, but one it is as long as I fish the way I do.

There's no right or wrong; it's all what fits your wants and needs.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 07:54 PM   #5
Foyt20

Hahaha... That I saw you inspired me, carrying around that tackle box is kind of annoying to tote around all the time, so I got the bass pro shops catalog, and I have been looking at tackle bags. They have some nice ones.

I like the box with the cooler though, thats pretty tight

Do you guys use spinner or bait casting rods.

I know bass boss voted, but I was just wondering about other people.
Foyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 08:05 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyt20 View Post
Do you guys use spinner or bait casting rods.

I know Bassboss voted, but I was just wondering about other people.
Oh ya, I use a 6'6" spinning rod, and a 7' baitcast rod.
Old 03-16-09, 08:07 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I carry 2 spinning combos at all times
Old 03-16-09, 08:20 PM   #8
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Three most of the time. Four rarely if I know I'll need a spinning outfit. Sometimes I'll just sub one of the three for a spinning rod. I guess it really depends on what I think I'll be using..

Thankfully, I won't be doing much of the walking thing from shore this year.. or not AS much.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 08:33 PM   #9
rrw4258

Well unlike most guys here I carry 5 with me:

6'6" M Abu Garcia Amabassadeur Casting Rod with a BPS Rick Clunn Reel 5.4:1 with 12 lb. Big Game for Crankbaits

6'6" MH Abu Garcia Amabassadeur Casting Rod with a BPS Rick Clunn Reel 7.1:1 with 15lb. Big Game for Spinnerbaits

6'6" MH Shimano Convergence Casting Rod with a BPS Rick Clunn Reel 6.4:1 with 12 or 15 lb. Big Game for Lipless (15), or 12 (Topwater/Jerkbait)

7'0" MH (fishes more like a heavy) Fenwick Eagle GT Casting Rod with a Cabela's Prodigy Casting Reel (w/power handle) with 15lb. Flouro or 30 lb. braid for Worms, Jigs, and Frogs (Braid)

7'0" M Berkley Lightning Rod Spinning with a Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning Reel with 8 lb. flouro or copolymer for fishing tubes, grubs, dropshot, shakyhead and other finesse stuff.

Ryan
Old 03-16-09, 08:52 PM   #10
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

This past year, I fished small lakes and ponds from shore a lot. I bring 1 rod, but switch up day to day. My spinning rod setup consists of a Team Diawa 6'3" w/ Diawa Tournament 1300 and 10lb mono. My baitcaster is a 6' Team Diawa w/ matching reel and also 10lb mono. Both rods handle any of the baits I need throughout the day, but overall the spinning rod is more versatile for lighter baits and skipping under stuff.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 08:57 PM   #11
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Well unlike most guys here I carry 5 with me:

6'6" M Abu Garcia Amabassadeur Casting Rod with a BPS Rick Clunn Reel 5.4:1 with 12 lb. Big Game for Crankbaits

6'6" MH Abu Garcia Amabassadeur Casting Rod with a BPS Rick Clunn Reel 7.1:1 with 15lb. Big Game for Spinnerbaits

6'6" MH Shimano Convergence Casting Rod with a BPS Rick Clunn Reel 6.4:1 with 12 or 15 lb. Big Game for Lipless (15), or 12 (Topwater/Jerkbait)

7'0" MH (fishes more like a heavy) Fenwick Eagle GT Casting Rod with a Cabela's Prodigy Casting Reel (w/power handle) with 15lb. Flouro or 30 lb. braid for Worms, Jigs, and Frogs (Braid)

7'0" M Berkley Lightning Rod Spinning with a Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning Reel with 8 lb. flouro or copolymer for fishing tubes, grubs, dropshot, shakyhead and other finesse stuff.

Ryan

I only carry 2 simply because I don't set up for different types of baits, techniques and stuff.
Fish shallow and medium cranks 80% of the time and have little to no experience with spinnerbaits, drop shotting, the list goes on and on.
After being here for a week, I'm starting to realize that I need to change that.
Doesn't help that I only own 2 combos either lol
Old 03-16-09, 10:13 PM   #12
Jim80

3 baitcast and one spinning it really depends how much you want to carry with you I just hate to cut and re tie .

Jim
Old 03-16-09, 10:20 PM   #13
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll usually take 2 spinning combos with me. One is usually for a crankbait/jerker and the other is usually for a spinnerbait/plastics. I'm trying to learn my new baitcaster so I can bring it too. I usually bring a big plastic box and throw junk in it (it's lighter than a tackle box but still big enough to carry enough stuff to switch up presentations and equipment). Just gotta be careful of throwing open cranks or whatever with hooks in it so you don't get hooked up on your stringer or other things.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 10:40 PM   #14
scbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to scbassman

i usually carry three one spinning for light tackle and two baitcasters with 12 and 20 lb line and my tackle box and until today a plastic grocery bag with a bunch worms in it. i went to dicks sporting goods and got a $30 okochobee fats bag with two plastic storage boxs in it for only $10 man what a steal.
scbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 11:09 PM   #15
wareagledc

three one bait cast mh, one medium spinning, one ultra light spinning.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 12:09 AM   #16
66KingFisher

occasionally i'll take more than one, but usually one's all I care about tote'n around.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 03:21 AM   #17
islandbass

At least 3, sometimes 4, depending on my mood. Most of your needs can be met with 3, but when I bring more than 3, I have noticed that two are used and the others sometimes never even touched!

When I take 3, two are casting and one is spinning usually.

Spinning - Drop shot and topwater and other soft plastics
Cast #1 - Cranks, jerk baits and topwater
Cast #2 - T-rigs, Jigs and other single hook applications.

This is my bare minimum approach.

Unlike most, I got tired rather quickly of lugging around the other rods that didn't even get used and a disliked even more laying the other rigs on the ground so I did something about it. I designed what I call my rod quiver. Depending on the shape you choose, you can configure it to hold even more rods but I stuck with a Triangle because I only wanted it to hold 3 rods.

Closer look. The rods are held in place with "industrial strength" velcro or so it's called at Home Depot.

What I love about is that I can now carry 3 rods with just one hand. The quiver stands alone on level ground to keep the rigs away from the ground, dirt and rocks, thereby eliminating potential scratches and debris on the rods and reels.

Propped onto a bag and your rigs never get dirty.

Here it is in action. I love it! Its convenience has truly been a blessing for lil' shorebound me.

RRW4258,

Those are some nice setups. A pentagon or hexagon shaped top and bottom rod quiver would easily hold all your rigs.
Old 03-17-09, 09:07 AM   #18
Bassboss

That ingenious IB! Wanna pm a walk through on making one! I have 3, but only carry 1-2 most of the time, with this I can carry all 3 of my rigs! also how much did it cost you?

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-17-09 at 10:56 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 12:38 PM   #19
Foyt20

Yeah, I second that bassboss. That is pretty sweet!!!
Old 03-17-09, 01:36 PM   #20
Raul

I only carry one spinning rod and reel:

GraphiteLeader Bosco GLBS602ML/Daiwa Revros 2004/ Yozuri Hybrid 6 lbs test.

Where I normally fish from the bank thereīs a lot of vegetation above water level, lots of brushes, lots of trees, steep slopes that make casting difficult. IBīs rod rack is pretty ingenious but that wonīt work in my neck of the woods, thatīs why I chose a 2 piece rod.

A backpack with two 3600 boxes and Iīm ready to go.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 01:42 PM   #21
aikenyounggun

ummm MOST of the time one spinning reels b/c i throw wacky a lot at ponds, but sometimes i take two.... one spinnin and one baitcaster..... covers pretty much all the spectrum.....
Old 03-17-09, 02:56 PM   #22
islandbass

Thanks, guys!

Raul is correct. Heavy brush areas can make the rod quiver use a bit tricky. When I go through really think brush, I will bring my two piece rods unassembled.

I will see if I can put together the instructions. I did build it on the fly so it will take some time to put together. Remember that depending on the shape you choose (in my case, a triangle, you can configure the quiver to hold more rods.

-ib
Old 03-17-09, 03:39 PM   #23
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks, guys!

Raul is correct. Heavy brush areas can make the rod quiver use a bit tricky. When I go through really think brush, I will bring my two piece rods unassembled.

I will see if I can put together the instructions. I did build it on the fly so it will take some time to put together. Remember that depending on the shape you choose (in my case, a triangle, you can configure the quiver to hold more rods.

-ib
IB, you forgot to add THORNY brush areas, I in Mexico ----> everything got thorns ! big long ones like the ones on huizaches, shorter but thicker like the ones on mesquites, short thick and curved like the ones on catnail brush, cacti depending upon the species, yuccas, you imagine something thorny and we got it down here.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 05:08 PM   #24
islandbass

Raul,

I didn't want to scare them.
Old 03-17-09, 06:12 PM   #25
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
IB, you forgot to add THORNY brush areas, I in Mexico ----> everything got thorns ! big long ones like the ones on huizaches, shorter but thicker like the ones on mesquites, short thick and curved like the ones on catnail brush, cacti depending upon the species, yuccas, you imagine something thorny and we got it down here.

My baby momma moved to Mexico?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.