Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-03-09, 08:40 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Question about hooks

I've read thru several threads that compared sharpening hooks to replacing them so I know alot of you do both.....I replaced some old rusty treble hooks on several crankbaits today with some red Eagle Claw Lazer sharp hooks(only name brand trebles Wallyworld had)....I noticed that the hooks really aren't all that sharp when I do the fingernail test......My question is whats the correct, or should I say best way, I should go about sharpening them or should I mess with them since that'll most likely remove the red coating?....Also would you sharpen small treble hooks the same way as you'd sharpen a large worm hook?......Please elaborate on your techniques....thanks.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 08:46 PM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't sharpen any hooks for bass, I just buy gamakatsu or similar quality hooks, but for my salmon and steelhead plugs I sharpen with a hook file. I would get a good one, the cheep ones don't seem to do much more than nub over points. I do three strokes from the bend to the point on the outside of the treble, then one from the middle of the barb to the point, then one from the middle of the barb to the point of the barb. This works great for me, but I am using pretty big hooks, or swiash, depending on the plug.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 09:16 PM   #3
66KingFisher

Gamakatsu hooks are what I wanted, but Walmart only carried their worm hooks....no treble hooks at all other than the Eagle claws and a no name variety pack so I went with the Eagle....I wanted some new split rings too, but they didn't carry those either.

So your basicly shaping three sides if I understand you correctly.....which leaves three cutting edges?
Old 05-03-09, 09:27 PM   #4
fishin spro

i use a hook sharpener made by rapala i believe...i use it just to sharpen worm hooks, to much of a pain to sharpen treble hooks when u can replace them alot easier.
Old 05-03-09, 09:30 PM   #5
BassinID

I usually only sharpen two sides actually, I just sharpen the point and then the barb, but I am usually just dealing with bent hook points and barbs, since salmon are big. If I need to sharpen for a dull hook I will hit all four sides if the hook is made that way, if it is a rounded cut then I will sharpen two, I have not had any problems that way and you remove less material.
Old 05-03-09, 09:33 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

66, ask if they have the gammy's behind the counter. i too wanted the gammy's, but they weren't on the shelf. asked when they were coming in and the lady pulled out 2 boxes from under the counter. said folks were stealing them left and right. tells ya how good the gammy's are. if not. sharpen the 2 sides like you said and that should be fine. but again i ain't no expert, lol.
Old 05-03-09, 09:36 PM   #7
fishin spro

btw:if u cant find gamakatsu then get owner...they are just as good if not better.
Old 05-03-09, 09:40 PM   #8
bamabassman

agreed on that one spro. good man.
Old 05-03-09, 09:45 PM   #9
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
agreed on that one spro. good man.
had too miss fish after fish, and have a buddy tell me about them before i finally made the switch...now i have 40$ worth of em in the mail...will be ordering more next week also
Old 05-03-09, 09:49 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use VMC trebles because one, you don't pay an arm and a leg like you do for gammys and two, if they're good enough for rapala, they're good enough for me.

BB
Old 05-03-09, 09:52 PM   #11
BassinID

I like VMC for a while, but I replace mine with owner or gammy, they points last more than 10 or so fish.
Old 05-03-09, 10:13 PM   #12
66KingFisher

I'd never heard of Owner brand hooks.....Is Wallyworld suppose to carry them or is that a tackle store item?.......I never thought to ask those old farts that work the sporting goods counter to see if that got any stash behind the counter....I try that next time.
Old 05-03-09, 10:17 PM   #13
fishin spro

i order mine from BPS

need a link?
Old 05-03-09, 10:26 PM   #14
66KingFisher

Naw, thanks anyway....we don't order much online....If I can't get it at Wallyworld I hafta do without till our next trip to Tulsa and if i've been good, I might be allowed to hit the BPS store nearby.....we usually go at least once a year.
Old 05-04-09, 04:41 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

there are a lot of good treble hooks out there, most of them have been mentioned above. owner is a great hook as well as gammy's. my favorite is mustad triple grips, i just don't lose many fish with these hooks, they take a really wide bite and hold on and they are super sharp. they only down side is when you use pliers to unhook a fish they can get bent pretty easy, i would like to see them in a heavier model but they are still my favorite and i replace all my crankbait hooks with them.

as for your eagle claws, i would just hit them a little with a file and they should be good enough to serve their purpose. i wouldn't worry too much about removing the red, i'm just not sold on the idea of red hooks making that much of a difference.
Old 05-04-09, 10:09 PM   #16
zooker

with a hook you want to use a good of a quality as you can afford..when it comes to worm hooks a gammy or owners are on the top of the pile..with trebles lucky craft have the best but they cost the most..either a mustad tripple grip or a gammy please vmc in certain baits where the heavier hooks like gammy have an effect on action..

on top water my absolute favorite hook is the barbarin it's the front hook on this popper...

belive it or not a bass that swipes at the front hook almost always gets hooked from the bass ackwards hook barbs..
Old 05-04-09, 10:11 PM   #17
bamabassman

zooker i like those too. gonna get me some one day. and 66, at the waly world here by me, they stock owner hooks. again ask if they are keeping them behind the counter.
Old 05-05-09, 12:54 AM   #18
66KingFisher

Ya got me curious now as to what they got stashed behind the counter...hahaha....i'll have to ask now.
Old 05-05-09, 04:23 AM   #19
BassinID

Man 66, being in the heart of bass country, I would think you would have a little tackle shop nearby that you could get some quality hooks at without loosing a body part (arm or leg)
Old 05-05-09, 02:34 PM   #20
66KingFisher

You'd think so wouldn't you.....we had a tackle shop on each end of town the first few years we lived here, but they closed up about 3yrs ago for some reason, so now its Wallyworld or nuthin round here.....i'd have to drive 75 miles to find a real tackle shop now.....175 miles to BPS....lol......I can buy some live minners from the lady at the Gardening center now....hehehehe....Dunno why she suddenly started carrying minnows.....her dad might like to crappie fish or sumthin..lol.
Old 05-05-09, 04:00 PM   #21
Raul

Why sharpen a dull hook ?

The only hooks I sharpen are the ones in my spinnerbaits and that´s only cuz I can´t take it out and trash it, otherwise, the hook is dull ---> it goes to the trash can and gets replaced with a fresh sharp hook.

Being in a small town and/or far away from the megatackle stores shouldn´t be a handicap like it used to be, it´s the 21st century and all you want/need when it comes to tackle is only a click away. Shop smart and you´ll even save in shipping harges ( like TW who has free shipping in all orders over 50 bucks ). You can also order from Stamina Inc, they´ve got hundreds of hooks from where to choose.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 10:44 PM   #22
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Why sharpen a dull hook ?
Well the way I see it is, why throw away a perfectly good hook just cause its alittle dull?
Old 05-05-09, 10:56 PM   #23
bamabassman

agreed 66.
Old 05-06-09, 12:33 AM   #24
BassinID

Zook, how do the barbarian hooks work on cranks, and how much do they run?
Old 05-06-09, 06:50 AM   #25
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I haven't tried them, but they are reasonably priced liked most VMC hooks (except the sureset trables, they're a bit expensive)

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.