Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-03-11, 08:47 PM   #1
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default which reel to go with...

Bought a new Boyd Duckett 7'3" micro magic rod and and going to purchase a new reel to go on it...Going to use it as my new worm rod. I think i have narrowed it down to 3 reels. Which one would you guys go with and why? Thanks

1.) Quantum Smoke 100PT
2.) Shimano Citica
3.) Abu Garcia Revo SX
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 09:17 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is an interesting group of reels, the retail price of these reels are all very different.

Smoke 199

Citica 99

Revo SX 169

Truthfully none of these would be my first choice in the 200 dollar price range, but if you are willing to spend that amount, then I would go with the smoke, very light, and crazy smooth, I have not put one on a rod a used it, but others on here have, and I have talked with several of my customers that really enjoy the reel. Always buy the best you can afford.
Old 06-03-11, 09:23 PM   #3
Jrob78

The Smoke would also be my choice. All 3 should be good reels that will last for many years. I would probably substitute a Curado for the Citica though, that makes for a more fair comparison.

Go to a store that sells all 3 and mount them all on a rod. See which one feels the best to you. At this level, it's all about personal preference, you can't really go wrong in terms of performance.

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-03-11 at 09:36 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 09:25 PM   #4
bassinbob

Of the three mentioned I've used two. The Citica and the Revo Sx. I would get the Citica. The reason? To me the Citica casted much smoother and further.
Old 06-03-11, 09:36 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll be the odd man out here and recommend the Revo SX, primarily because I have it on my wormin rod and I have had nothing but possitive results using it. Also, I don't think you can beat the Garcias drag systems.
Old 06-03-11, 09:46 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

With those price ranges, scratch #2 and insert a Shimano Curado. I will vote for that one because I have never fished with the Smoke and I what little bit I have fished with Revos, I don't personally care that much for them. I like the lower ratios for my worm fishing though. I have a tendency to not stay on bottom with a faster reel.

JRobo beat me to it.
Old 06-03-11, 09:51 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

None of em, lol...

The Smoke may be great out of the box, but most Quantums are. It's too early to tell if they'll stand the test of time or crap out like many other Quantum reels.

The Citica is a decent performing reel for the price, but personally find them and the Curados uncomfortable to fish with. I am; however, in the minority on that one.

The Revo SX... Never used one. But I've used an STX. Overall a good performing reel. I prefer Daiwa's Magforce brakes to others though, even over dual. The reel is well built; it's a tank. I just don't think it performs better than my Daiwas.

Now, I'm am a Daiwa fan. Unfortunately, Daiwa has dropped the ball over the last couple years and I can't honestly recommend a reel I'd buy in that price range from them. So my pick would be have to be the Revo, although I'd take a look at the STX. You might also want to look at the Plfueger Patriarch. One of the top three reels for me in terms of ergonomics.

BB
Old 06-03-11, 10:39 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Now, I'm am a Daiwa fan. Unfortunately, Daiwa has dropped the ball over the last couple years and I can't honestly recommend a reel I'd buy in that price range from them. So my pick would be have to be the Revo, although I'd take a look at the STX. You might also want to look at the Plfueger Patriarch. One of the top three reels for me in terms of ergonomics.

BB
I think the HSTA could compete with these other reels and hold its own, it fits in this price class.

The Pflueger Patriarch is a really good reel and can be had for $150, down from $200, depending on the version of the reel.

The Curado is on closeout for $139 and the Citica for $99.

This is a good time to be in the market for a sub $200 reel.
Old 06-03-11, 10:50 PM   #9
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

i recently just got my citica only a few days ago so far i like it but i've only fished with it once so far on my carrot stick.
BassMan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 10:58 PM   #10
LeBron_Hill

I have one of the old Curado's on a St. Croix rod and love it...just not a big fan of the green color that Shimano decided to put on the new Curado's...never fished with a Garcia SX either...I have 5 of the Quantum $99 KVD reels and really like them BUT I have had to return one due to line gettin stuck between the spool and the side of the reel and another one due to noise so I am a little skiddish about buying another one of those...the KVD reel is basically the Quantum Code with KVD on it the best I can tell.
Old 06-03-11, 11:00 PM   #11
LeBron_Hill

I can buy the Smoke on Ebay for around $160. Curado for $140 and Revo SX for around $150....anyone have any other reels that they would suggest for around the same price range?
Old 06-03-11, 11:08 PM   #12
Tavery5

Take a look at the Lews reels, very strong reels in this price range.
Old 06-03-11, 11:18 PM   #13
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There are so many good reels out there. If you eliminate brand loyalty, you are left with what actually works good for you in the way of comfort and fit and then value. Right now, the curado E series seems to be one of the best values to be had. Some will say the Citica actually casts better, but when both are in equal condition, the curado is way better than the citica. The reason that there is some discrepancy is from the fact that shimano often puts way to much grease and oil in new reels so lots of people get some that don't cast as well as they should until they are cleaned the first time. The curado is on sale at several places for $139.00 I have revo STX reels, I like them fine, but I would have bought the curados if they were that price at that time. I would not make a firm choice until you try several, the lews reels are impressing a lot of folks and bring converts from all brands. The new Okuma reels are also getting good reviews and grabing some customers away from the top 3 as well.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 11:39 PM   #14
Bassboss

I'd go with a Lew's Tourn. Pro speed spool. I've never used one personally, but what I've read from people that have used them, they're raving about them!! I've heard nothing but extremely good reports form them and a Lew's will almost definitely be my next reel.
Old 06-04-11, 12:14 AM   #15
LeBron_Hill

the lews reel does seem to be gettin alot of respect on here lately...
Old 06-04-11, 10:53 AM   #16
Lvitch

Citica with a bearing upgrade
Old 06-04-11, 11:58 AM   #17
LeBron_Hill

what are these bearing upgrades that you guys keep talking about? What do they do and where do you get one?
Old 06-04-11, 12:35 PM   #18
Imgoodatwhatido

Ill recommend the patriarch as well. Its smooth as butter and cast a mile. The titanium finish on the reel is VERY TOUGH to boot. Mine has been used a lot and it still looks new. No boat rash at all. I just got a good deal on 5 more carbonlite reels on Ebay I really like them too.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 01:57 PM   #19
xr650jkallen
BassFishin.Com Member

ive got a revo premier and a revo s and i love them both cast very well but i would not spend the money on the premier again its nice but add hot sauce to the s and its just as awesome
xr650jkallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 02:02 PM   #20
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post
what are these bearing upgrades that you guys keep talking about? What do they do and where do you get one?

Bearing upgrades are exactly that, replacing the stock OEM bearings that come installed in your reel with an upgraded aftermarket bearing. Lots of folks are happy with just having the stock bearings properly flushed and lubricated, as there is a lot of performance to be gained in doing this. However, if you decide you would like to upgrade the stock bearings in your reel, Boca makes an excellent product and Kevin, or ProReel on here is an great source to have the work done in you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
Old 06-04-11, 03:55 PM   #21
LeBron_Hill

maybe that is whats wrong with my Quantum KVD reels then...I bought 4 of em on Black Friday when Basspro had them on sale for $49...I have since had to return 2 of em due to noise and line catching between the spool and reel...wonder if it would just be cheaper to have them gone through as well...
Old 06-04-11, 04:37 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post
maybe that is whats wrong with my Quantum KVD reels then...I bought 4 of em on Black Friday when Basspro had them on sale for $49...I have since had to return 2 of em due to noise and line catching between the spool and reel...wonder if it would just be cheaper to have them gone through as well...
Sounds like the graphite frame flexed to me. When that happens the gears and spool can get out align with the frame. The spool will wobble and the gears will grind.
Old 06-04-11, 06:13 PM   #23
LeBron_Hill

alright new poll...lol

1.) Quantum Smoke
2.) Abu Garcia Revo SX
3.) Lews Tournament Pro Speed Spool
Old 06-04-11, 08:25 PM   #24
Cavs1123

Smoke. Being that its the only one I have fished out of the three
Old 06-04-11, 08:48 PM   #25
LeBron_Hill

how did u like the smoke?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.