Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-08-12, 12:45 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Jig weight choice. Whats yours?

Ok, I realize the need for different weights of jigs. Slow fall presentation, fast fall presentation, shallow/deep pressentation. But overall, what would be your weight of choice most of the time and why? The last couple years, jigs have started to really click with me, but I'm still learning the fine points. I remember Zooker saying he prefered 1/4 oz. jigs mostly because he prefered the slower fall rate and easieer control of the jig. At a recent seminar I attended, jigs were briefly discussed and heavy 3/4 - 1 oz. jigs were talked about for their fast fall rate causing reaction bites. From what I've seen in articles over the years, 1/2 oz jigs tend to be the weight used most often on average. Myself, I find the 3/8 oz jigs my favorite overall and 1/2 to 3/4 oz for deeper weedlines. The 1/4 oz size has it's place too, especially as a swim jig. So for you jig fisherman, what is your overall prefered weight jig, the one you wouldn't be without?
Old 04-08-12, 11:08 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01

For football jigs I use 1/2oz jigs the most. They seem to be the perfect balance of being heavy enough to make a long cast and maintain bottom contact without being too heavy. I do use a lot of 3/4oz jigs in deeper water or heavy winds but if I am able to get by with a 1/2oz that's what I use.

For finesee jigs I mostly use 5/16oz. I am able to cast them a long ways and they are the perfect weight for me to use in shallow or deep water when I want a finesse presentation.

For swim jigs I use a lot of 3/8oz. I will go as light as a 1/4oz if I need to, but I like how a 3/8oz swim jig works well in a lot of situations.
Old 04-08-12, 03:58 PM   #3
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like a 1/2 for the most part. I like to fish a jig on the bottom.
Old 04-08-12, 04:13 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would have to say that I fish a 3/8oz jig more than any other. 1/2oz would be a close second. I mostly fish shallow water and a 3/8 usually does what I need it to. I do always have 1/2oz jigs on hand though.

For swimjigs, I fish a 1/4oz the most. If it's windy or I want to fish it slow, relating to the bottom, I will go up to a 3/8oz.
Old 04-08-12, 05:13 PM   #5
Bassboss

1/4 oz. I really like the slower fall, and I think I've got better feel as appose to a heavier jig casting around weeds.

And I can't find enough jigs that come in that size, so I find my self having to settle for 3/8oz ones.

I really need to start tying my own. lol
Old 04-08-12, 05:15 PM   #6
Tavery5

As your question asked, most of the time I use a 3/8 -1/2 oz football head, and 5/16 -3/8 oz swimjig.
Old 04-08-12, 07:53 PM   #7
3dkicker

Typically I use 3/8 or 1/2 but I do carry other sizes and Bitsy Bugs if I'm looking for a smaller bait with a slow fall.
Old 04-08-12, 09:46 PM   #8
skeeter1804

If I could only carry one it would be a 3/8 ounce. I can fish it shallow to fairly deep so if I had only one option that would be it.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 12:50 AM   #9
kiddelicious
BassFishin.Com Member

I would have to agree that a good all around jig size is 3/8. You can most everything with it .
kiddelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 08:49 AM   #10
joedog

I use 1/4 first, 3/8 next. I'm currently shorebusting so I'm not going deep or punching and the quarter oz. allows good feel and an ability to kind of slide or role over obstructions with less snags. I do go smaller or larger if the tool is needed though.
Old 04-11-12, 02:34 PM   #11
merc1997

if i were to be limited to a single weight, it would probably be a 1/4 oz. the reason for this is that when you need more weight for more speed, this can be achieved by simply adding a slip sinker to your line ahead of the jig. also, another advantage in doing this is that you still have a bait with a smaller profile. another advantage is when you are using say 1/2 oz. with your 1/4 jig, the sinker slides up the line just as it does with a t-rig. therefore instead of the bass having a full 3/4 oz of weight to shake loose, there is just a 1/4 oz. you will find that you will land a lot more of your fish.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 11:10 AM   #12
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

After reading this post four days ago, I wondered what my preferred weight was, because I think it is always situational dependant, but after looking, it's obvious I prefer 1/2 oz., for swim jigs too, with some 3/4 oz. football, and specialty jigs thrown in. I think, as for preferring a smaller profile, I really prefer the larger profile.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 01:44 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

3/8oz is my go to when fishing from the boat and I adjust it from there as needed. From the shore, it's usually a 1/4oz, and I'll move up to a 3/8oz if needed.

BB
Old 04-13-12, 06:58 AM   #14
keithdog

It sounds like 3/8 oz is the overall prefered size with a lot of 1/4 oz jigs also being thrown. I know it's all relative depending on many variables. The 1/2 oz is also popular. One thing that drives me nuts when looking at jigs is hook size. I fish for largemouth almost exclusivly as there is not many smallies in my lakes. I've only caught 2 smallies in total here. I like a good size hook with my jigs. The 5/0 is my prefered hook size with a 4/0 the minimum. But jig makers often use smaller hooks for smaller jigs. Just because I drop to a 1/4 oz jig, that does not mean I want to take a drop in hook size! Finding 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs with 5/0 hooks is proving to be a task.
Old 04-13-12, 07:40 AM   #15
joedog

Well said on the hook challenge Kieth.
The other challenge is hook gap, every one thinks smaller weight, shorter hook smaller gap and 1/4 ozers alot of times come with weaker or thinner hooks too.
Old 04-13-12, 08:43 AM   #16
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been preferring a 1/2 oz. for a flipping jig. I like the weight so I can feel the jig as much as possible. Plus, it's usually windy in KS, so the 1/2 helps there too. However, I don't currently have a very nice rod that I flip with. It's not too sensitive, and a little short for my taste. I'm having a buddy of mine make me a really nice light, sensitive, 7' flipping rod, so once I have that, I bet I'll like fishing lighter jigs a lot more as I'll have much better feel.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 06:06 PM   #17
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
I'm having a buddy of mine make me a really nice light, sensitive, 7' flipping rod, so once I have that, I bet I'll like fishing lighter jigs a lot more as I'll have much better feel.
When you get that rod made post a few pics of it so we can check it out!
Old 04-13-12, 08:43 PM   #18
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Finding 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs with 5/0 hooks is proving to be a task.
Pour your own.

I´m not going to say I invented the shakey head, all I´m going to say is that I really like the jighead rig for soft plastics, problem was that at that time most lightweight jigheads ( ex.- 1/16 oz ) were only available with teeny tiny wee sized hooks and the ones with larger hooks were too heavy; also the jighead rig presented the problem of that exposed hook and fishing with an exposed hook in my neck of the woods is synonimous with hanging up in an eyeblink, how to solve also the hanging up in an eyeblink problem ? well a T-rig was perfect, but how can you rig a weedless bait with a teeny tiny wee size hook ? so that got me thinking ..... If only I could find a jighead with a larger ( 3,4,5/0 hook ) .....so after looking and not finding what I wanted I thought: " so there are jighead molds, there are larger hooks for jigheads what if I ?.... I purchased a jighead mold, a melting pot and larger hooks, did some doctoring to the mold and then I got what I wanted, a jighead as light as I want with a hook as large as I can fit in the mold. Shure they aren´t the best looking but they work, they´ve worked for over two decades

Nowdays you don´t have to look for, you can do them yourself or you can have them made by a custom builder ( like Siebert Outdoors ), the weight you want with the hook size you want, all you have to do is get the components ( mold, lead, hooks, skirts, chip resistant paint, melting pot ) or contact the custom builder.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Last edited by Raul; 04-13-12 at 08:48 PM.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 09:01 AM   #19
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

Will do keithdog.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 03:36 PM   #20
bassinbob

All around I like 1/2 oz. I have trouble feeling anything lighter unless there is a heavier plastic on it. Flipping 3/4 and up.
Old 04-17-12, 06:48 AM   #21
rrw4258

I like a 3/8 the most if I am throwing a football jig. If fishing a little deeper I go to a 3/4 or if fishing shallow i go with a 1/4, but most of the time it is a 3/8 tied on my rod. For swim jigs I like 1/4 ounce the best, but will go to a 3/8 if I am over a deeper weedbed, or I want a faster presentation.

Ryan
Old 04-18-12, 05:40 PM   #22
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I use 3/16 and 5/16 oz a lot, but I mostly fish a finesse jig for smallies. I also like a 1/4 oz swim jig. There is a guy in my hometown that makes a darn fine finesse jig, I haven't been able to find a better one, and Northstar makes some good 1/4 oz jigs too. I think they might make some with 5/0 hooks, pretty sure they would if you ask, but their store is currently closed.

Those finesse jigs also work pretty good for some of the shallow timber lakes I like to fish too. Maybe a 3/8 oz would be better, but I just go with what I have confidence in. And I'll also mention I get some big hits swimming a finesse jig too, with a paca chunk trailer.

Last edited by arfish; 04-18-12 at 06:42 PM.
arfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 11:35 PM   #23
keithdog

Thanks for the info arfish.
Old 04-20-12, 12:54 PM   #24
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Finding 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs with 5/0 hooks is proving to be a task.
Check out Dave's Tournament Tackle......he carries all types of head and hook combo's!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.