Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-03-12, 04:05 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kill switch--pros and cons

Not on if it is hooked up, IT WILL ALWAYS BE HOOKED UP WHEN OUR BOAT IS UNDER POWER--I want to know what you guys think about hooking to your PFD or a strap on your wrist like the water flea riders do.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm just been thinking
Old 05-03-12, 04:15 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

I loop it around my wrist sometimes if I'm not going far. Otherwise, it goes on a belt loop. I don't put it on my PFD.
Old 05-03-12, 06:49 PM   #3
MIbasser

Mine is connect to my PFD most of the time (usually when I'm fishing a tournament).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 07:00 PM   #4
WatterBoy

I connect mine to my PFD.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 07:32 PM   #5
woody

I also attach it to my PFD.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 08:12 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mine is always attached to my PFD, which I wear anytime my boat is on plane. When I am fishing I take my PFD off and leave it in the drivers seat anyways.
Old 05-03-12, 08:45 PM   #7
lilmule

If it is not attached to your person while driving it is not in use and not on,and of no use what so ever.Ever wonder why a running boat circles and kills its operator when thrown out , its because they were STUPID.
Kill switch kills the motor,saves the operator at least from being run over and cut up.
Foot throttle also helps as goes back to idle without foot on it in case your stupid.
Their are no cons its a safty device designed to save lives,its not uncomfortable to wear like a seat belt,and yes at times you forget its there because of that and disconnect it,nice tradeoff.
Most arnt long enough to wrist strap them as one turns the wheel and it to far away or could catch on one of the turn signal type trim switches used nowdays causing disconnects its ment to be body hooked somehow,belt or pfd.
You cannot fix a problem that isnt there.
Besides you would still forget it.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-03-12 at 09:02 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 09:13 PM   #8
nobass

always on my pfd
Old 05-04-12, 11:01 AM   #9
bcklash

Thanks guys. Adam makes survival bracelets he thinking about making 1 intergrated with the kill switch. I don't know how safe it would be and safety is #1.
Old 05-04-12, 06:31 PM   #10
joedog

Actually had a need for one and will NEVER be sorry I had it cliped to my belt loop.

lilmule, where I'm from they call that, 'Boat trolling for idiot'....when the boats circling.
Old 05-05-12, 07:25 AM   #11
lilmule

Something to think about on the bracelet idea,on a performance boat such as an allison stopping the motor abruptly or just letting off the gas brings an immediate sideways right hook into play stopping the boat from say 80 mph to zero in about 20 ft,resulting in tossing the occupants forward due to an equal reaction of physics.
Get that lanyard caught on anything while in motion would be a hazard.It works with jet skis as have hands on bars and more or less dont move them from it or shouldnt.
And on any boat made nowdays the Ratcheting non-Ratcheting gearcase differences are apparent to anyone even a Ranger doing 60 it would create a hazard not needed and would be the cause of it.
It not only needs to be able to disconnect but stay in place until needed,hopefully never.
Its designed if you get tossed out to stop the motor,not toss you out.Moving parts of the body should not be used as an anchor point for the lanyard.Think about it you move about 1 ft from seat you disconnect and do it all the time as forget its there.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-05-12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 10:18 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Ron, I am just wondering here. But is there a reason why clipping it on the D-loop on the life jacket won't work? I alway clip mine on my life jacket and I never even know it's there because my life jacket never leaves my seat so I don't have to keep unhooking it and hooking it back up all day.
Old 05-05-12, 10:40 PM   #13
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Ron, I am just wondering here. But is there a reason why clipping it on the D-loop on the life jacket won't work? I alway clip mine on my life jacket and I never even know it's there because my life jacket never leaves my seat so I don't have to keep unhooking it and hooking it back up all day.
No, After taking the boater safety course, I noticed all the lake lice riders used the wrist band type and wondering what the pros and cons were to each. I wear a PFD at all times on the water. A regular jacket when on plane and an inflateable while fishing. Just thinking thats all.
Old 05-05-12, 10:48 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
No, After taking the boater safety course, I noticed all the lake lice riders used the wrist band type and wondering what the pros and cons were to each. I wear a PFD at all times on the water. A regular jacket when on plane and an inflateable while fishing. Just thinking thats all.
I hear ya, I just thought maybe I was missing something. Honestly Ron I think that clipping the kill switch to a belt loop or to the PFD is the best current approach, not to say that something better won't come a long in the future. But until then I would be worried that any other method would be sacraficing safety for convenience.
Old 05-07-12, 11:32 PM   #15
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
If it is not attached to your person while driving it is not in use and not on,and of no use what so ever.Ever wonder why a running boat circles and kills its operator when thrown out , its because they were STUPID.
Kill switch kills the motor,saves the operator at least from being run over and cut up.
Foot throttle also helps as goes back to idle without foot on it in case your stupid.
Their are no cons its a safty device designed to save lives,its not uncomfortable to wear like a seat belt,and yes at times you forget its there because of that and disconnect it,nice tradeoff.
Most arnt long enough to wrist strap them as one turns the wheel and it to far away or could catch on one of the turn signal type trim switches used nowdays causing disconnects its ment to be body hooked somehow,belt or pfd.
You cannot fix a problem that isnt there.
Besides you would still forget it.
PFD, thumbs up lilmule. Well put.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 12:17 AM   #16
66KingFisher

My fishin buddy never uses the kill switch, and for some reason that bugs me somewhat.....I've mentioned it too him a time or two, but he blows it off.....Now I realize were not riding in a high speed bass boat, our little 16' Tracker will only run about 27mph fully loaded on glass slick water with a stiff tail wind, but I'd still like it better if he'd make some attempt to use it....Its real handy and not too difficult to use so I don't get it.....Maybe he just likes to live dangerously, I dunno.
Old 05-19-12, 11:46 PM   #17
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ALWAYS hook it to my pfd, and ALWAYS wear my pfd when big motor is running. To all the boaters out there who think it wont happen to you, think again. No one is 10 foot tall and bullet proof no matter what type of magic mirror you own. Remember, you can't fix stupid, so don't be!
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 08:40 AM   #18
lilmule

Kingfish if your bud ever decides to trade up,lose the boat pard,as he will still not wear it.
I had an old boat that wasnt so eq, a near mishap and I paid a marine mechanic to put one in.Powered by a 45 hp chrysler,every bit of 14 ft long-Thundercraft,no bilge pump,no livewell pump,pulled the plug while running it went out the back,put a plug in the live well to run. Traded up,to a 15 skeeter w 90/power of tower,yeah came with a kill/sw,fire ext,bilge and livewell pumps,lil bugger would skoot and wore the kill sw.
I went out a while back with a soldier just back from Iraq hes stationed at fort campbell we took his boat(we normally took mine) a wee 16 ft tracker think about 15 hp and yes he wore his kill switch .I was watching that 6 in of freeboard more than anything.But enjoyed it.It dont have to go fast to run over you,just faster than you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.