Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-05-06, 01:54 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default techniques

what is the best time of the year to use spinnerbaits,topwaters,plastic worms,jigs,crankbaits,and finesse. what works best during and after cold fronts,high fishing pressure,and high barometric pressure?all help is appreciated!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 02:21 PM   #2
bass kicker

topwaters work best in calm weather and in the mornin and evenin
Old 01-05-06, 09:22 PM   #3
Marty

Topwaters offer the best chance under low light and in warmer waters, say, warmer than 50-55°. The other baits would work most times of year. Those conditions you mentioned are pretty tough. Nothing can be ruled out because bass don't read the same books, but the chances are good that they'd be tight to cover, so slow-moving lures like jigs and soft plastics worked right against the cover may be the ticket.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 01:20 AM   #4
bass kicker

marty told you exactly what you need to know
Old 01-07-06, 06:40 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

wow a multi point question. first off i determand the baits to use by water temps. spinnerbaits work best in windy conditions with clouds. fishing heavily pressured fish i would down size the spinner bait. strike king makes a good compacted 3/8oz blade. i use spinner baits almost year round.

plastic worms i use them with water temps are above 50 degrees.
top water's i use them in water temps over 60
jigs i use year round
crank baits i use year round
finesse -see plastic worms..

zooker
Old 01-07-06, 11:32 AM   #6
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You ask a mouth full. Spinnerbaits any time of the year as well as jigs anytime of the year. Crankbaits can be effective year round also. Conventional wisdom says T rig worms once the water goes over 60 degrees. I usually dont throw top water until the temps get in the upper 60. This can be slightly different in different parts of the country. As far as bluebird sky after cold front conditions. The normal reaction the bass will do is either bury up in cover or suspend in open water. A lot has to do with water clarity. Sometimes finesse methods such as a split shot,drop shot. whacky or doodleing will work especially in clear water. In stained water the big bite usually comes from flipping heavy cover. Your question covers entire volums of books. This is a brief overview. I hope it helps. You might consider enrolling in Bassmaster University when it comes to your area. Weather you are a beginner or a veteran it is $169.00 well spent. If for no other reason the entertainment value. Fish2win
Old 01-07-06, 11:39 AM   #7
crankybait

whats bassmaster university?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 02:23 PM   #8
Fish2win

During the off season teams of the touring pro's will go to different cities and give seminars about different techniques. They have been doing this for at lease 25 years. I attended the seminars seceral years in the mid 80's at the University of Tennessee. If you go to the Bassnmasters web they will list states /cities and dates. The seminars range from several nights to a two day weekend . Each of the pro teams talks about a specific method.They also ahev a question and answer time with each method. Graet fun and very informative. Fish2win
Old 01-07-06, 02:34 PM   #9
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

i am going to it when they have it in virginia, that will be later this month.
Old 01-10-06, 10:44 PM   #10
bass kicker

i was going to go to it but im going to the fishin show were the seminars are free and im goin to see about getting sponsered
Old 01-11-06, 07:54 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Use what you have confidence in during the tougher cold fronts and highs. Plastics such as flukes work well for me along with PNJ's and Crawdad type baits. With that said I like fish2win's response. It covers volumes, and thousands of different opinions on top of that. When the fishing is hot throw anything LOL, when it's tough, throw anything LOL'er to see if they will bite it.

Lizards
Old 01-11-06, 06:26 PM   #12
bassnman30

Pointers or any other suspending stick baits "can" work. Clear water is the best time for these baits. Crawfish lookin plastic baits work well, especially around rocks or laydowns. As of course Zook pointed out jigs produce fish year round. Spinnerbaits can work if the conditions are not as you said "high skies, rising pressure etc.." Also if the fish are not getting alot of pressure from other anglers.If these are the conditions that you face alot then go with your finnesse baits they seem to produce when nothing else will.
Old 01-11-06, 08:20 PM   #13
bass kicker

thanks for the tip on sospending jerk baits
Old 01-11-06, 10:08 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30
As of course Zook pointed out jigs produce fish year round.
Anybody else find it odd that ZOOKER made that statement

Lizards
Old 01-12-06, 06:59 PM   #15
zooker

lizzy i have caught a grand total of 12 bass on jigs last year looking to up that number..

zooker
Old 01-12-06, 07:11 PM   #16
bass kicker

wow thats alot i think i caught 1 on jigs all last year
Old 01-17-06, 09:45 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
wow thats alot i think i caught 1 on jigs all last year
I bet it's because you rarely throw one

Lizards
Old 01-18-06, 09:17 PM   #18
basstech

Fishing most of these is more of how you adapt the technique/presentation to the conditions than necessarily a "time of year" or "seasonal pattern". It's often said that bass won't hit a crankbait when the water temp gets below 50 degrees, for example, but just 10 days ago I caught thirty fish and the four biggest were on a crankbait. The water temp was 39 degrees and caught all the fish in less than ten feet of water. I've caught a lot of bass in 44 degree water on a pop-r. That isn't suppose to happen either. It's more how you adapt the bait/presentation to the conditions than "what lure works best at this time of year, or, what bait is best under speacific conditions". As long as you are using a bait that can get to where the fish are, you can catch fish.
Old 01-19-06, 08:18 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Like some of the others I beleive there are onlt 2 lure types that are temp. specific. Topwaters and plastics. Topwaters have never that I can remember produced for me in water under 55. Plastics really SLOW down in water under 50. Now I am NOT saying they wont work they have for some but not me. The rest of the baits will work anytime anywhere. Let the bass do the work for ya. They will let you know what they want. Its all a big puzzle. You already have the pieces and some of the puzzle is put together u just gotta finish it.
Old 01-19-06, 06:55 PM   #20
zooker

kicker
i fished a jig every weekend for about a year and a half. i would fish it for 4 hours get totally disgusted with it. and switch to something else that was working. but i spent 4 hours -mostly 7am-11am- each time that i was not fishing a tourny with that stick in my hand. using topwater-if you could find a bite- till 7 am.. i found that they tend to work better in warmer months if the water is muddy. 7 bass in one day in red mud sold me on a jig..

zooker
Old 01-20-06, 06:51 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

LMAO!! First off ZOOKER odd..............NEVAH (I wont tell buddy) Second a jig is a serious weapon in ones hand once they learn the sutilties of the lure and how to use them to your advantage. The whole key here is to fish it. But to fish it ALLDAY not just in the a.m. To me the jig is better presented when they are more cover related, but what the hell do I know,down here bass can only be cover related.LOL But seriously when they are around rocks ledges dropoffs stumps weedlines....any type of cover or changing bittom condition is when a jig excels. The only time I rely on a different bait is when they are suspended. Yes they will hit a jig then but I have better luck with another lure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.