Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-09, 10:23 AM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Shakey head, what's your fav. way?

What's your guys favorite way to fish a shakey head, I have the jig's but never fished the shakey head so I was wanting some idea's.
Thanks Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 03:28 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

PM Bob Smith if he doesn't respond.I know he used them quite a bit last year.

I used the spot remover heads with the Netbait finesse worm with fair results pitching to docks,pitching to the irregular spots of the weed edges,laydowns and isolated cover.I am getting the Davis floatin shaky worm before this spring to try but I am not person to be posting to this thread for I am a entry level shaky head user. P N J

Here is the Davis shaky worm.

http://www.coosatackle.com/site/Scri...?idproduct=574
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 04:56 PM   #3
Denny_K

Default Thanks

That's no problem, I thank ya for the comment and info. Denny
Old 02-08-09, 06:01 PM   #4
fishin' fool

I've tried a few different jigs, and for the money bagley are my fav. I use 3 sizes, all for different applications. 1/16 ounce for weeds and weed edges, and shallower cover. 1/8 for mid range and deep cover, and 1/4 for deep water and faster fall. I like the berkley shakey worms and finesse worms alot, but my all time favorite is a worm that isn't made any more. Its a straight tailed worm made by Riverside, every once and a while I will find these worms at wal-mart, and when I do I buy them all! I have caught a ton of fish on them!!!
Worm color and size all depends on the season and current conditions just like any other lure. But I stick to all natural color and worms that are 4 to 5 inches. If its cloudy or over cast I like a worm that is two toned, wither with alittle yellow or white.
Last summer I got some big slender 10" straight tailed worms and used a 1/4 jig head, fished it with a bait caster with 14 pound line and did very well. Kinda the bubba shakey head. Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 07:34 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

I love to use a shaky head. I use a spot remover (from Buckeye) usually with a finnese worm from Zoom or there shaky heas worm. I love the shaky head around drop offs. definately around rocky dropoffs. They are also good around grass and docks. Just if its really cold fish it really slow and make sure a fish has it, sometimes they tap,tap,tap but you got to let them take it.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 07:36 PM   #6
rrw4258

My favorite heads are the Buckeye Lures Spot Remover heads, green pumpkin in color. 1/8 and 3/16 are my main sizes. Line is 8lb. test flourocarbon or copolymer. Rod is a 7' Medium Action, and Reel is a Abu Cardinal 102. With the spot remover heads a little bit of anglers super glue is necessary to get the head of the worm to stay on. Favorite worm is the 4" Strike King Elaztech Finesse Worm (3X). The flat head will rest well on the bottom, and the floating worm will stand straight up off of the bottom. The best way i can describe the retreive is once it hits the water let it go all the way to the bottom, and then try to sneak it back to the boat without the fish trying to see it, or notice it. After the hit, well I think we all know what to do from here... Hope this helps.

Ryan
Old 02-08-09, 08:16 PM   #7
pig n jig

Browse through here and you will see that shaky heads are popular.There are alot of different ideas.I am thinking of changing from the spot remover. P N J

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/jigheads.cfm
Old 02-08-09, 09:06 PM   #8
abu4600

My favorite jig head so far is the tour grade by strike king in sizes fron 1/16 oz to 1/4 oz. I've only been fishing the shakey head since december but I've caught a ton of bass fishing it in deep water on bottom and swimming it back the boat very slowly. My favorite baits are zoom finesse and trick worms in watermelon/gold flake- watermelon/red flake and green pumpkin.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 10:00 PM   #9
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've used about 5 different shakey head jigs. I've the ones with the screw keeper, but don't like them. I find they tear up my bait and never get the worm centered very good. I've used ones where the keeper in on the hook shank. They're alright, I don't like how the worm bends with those. I've also tried the ones like th Spot Remover. I've liked those the best, and the flat bottom gives a nice action. Recently I found the Owner Shakey head jigs. They have a screw keeper, but it's Owner's screw lock one with the pin through the center. I really like those. The head is flattened somewhat on the bottom, but otherwise round. Bought them this winter, so I can't wait to try them this spring.

BB
Old 02-09-09, 12:50 AM   #10
Bender

I fished the shaky head a lot last year and it produced a lot of fish. I like very light heads though, usually 1/16. The Spot Removers seem to hang in the weeds a lot so I used the Bite Me heads, but I just got molds to make my own round and football heads.
For the worms I like my own 6", it's made with very little salt and it floats right up. I've also had good luck with Zoom trick worms, but you have to cut about 3/8" off the head of them. The Zoom finesse worms work well too. The Gulp shaky worms are good too. All in green pumpkin or black.
Last year one of my favorites was the Berkley Power Bait 6" Nightcrawler in black. The trick is to find the Walleye version, but keep that a secret.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 08:45 AM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Picasso Shake-E-Football heads work great as well, either 1/8 or 3/16 ounce.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 05:23 PM   #12
abu4600

The Arkie shakey heads are pretty good too in 1/8oz. I also tried the lucky strike heads and lost a lot of fish with them so I dont use them anymore.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 07:00 PM   #13
Denny_K

Default Thanks

Wow, thanks for the great info. guy's. This will help me. cya Denny
Old 02-10-09, 08:37 PM   #14
pig n jig

cricket chirps

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.