Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-07, 04:52 PM   #26
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I was loking at reels this morning before school, and I really put into consideration the Pflueger President. I really like my Pflueger Supreme I bought about a month ago, so I figure, try the same brand. $139.99, not too bad a price or look either...

What do you guys think?

-LL-
Old 12-04-07, 08:06 PM   #27
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
That is an great starter frog rod I had one for two years now I use an Setyr 7' 2" frog rod with an Quantum Burner 7:1 and 65 Power pro

Setyr frog rod is about 239.99 I think And you can find the Burner on Ebay new for about 140 plus ship
Garry 3000,

Where do you live in Indy? I'm guessing you got your Setyr frog rod at the Outdoorsman. I live in Greenwood about 5 minutes from the Outdoorsman.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 12:34 AM   #28
garry_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
Garry 3000,

Where do you live in Indy? I'm guessing you got your Setyr frog rod at the Outdoorsman. I live in Greenwood about 5 minutes from the Outdoorsman.
Hello, I also live about five min from the outdoorsman but dont shop there one of my spon. Is www.honeycreektackle.com that is who I get 80% of my tackle from.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 12:32 PM   #29
lunker-lander

What do you guys think about the President?

-LL-
Old 12-05-07, 05:13 PM   #30
lunker-lander

Or...

Moss mats, lily pads, floating debris... Most bass fishermen know big fish live here, especially in the hot days of summer when the fish are seeking shade, just like the rest of the world. Well, we're not like the rest of the world because we're thinking about throwing frogs and rats while everyone else is thinking naps, hammocks, and a tall, cold one. That's where the new Loomis Frog Rod comes in handy. Built with a soft tip section to enable you to throw any bait accurately and far, it provides a tough, heavy butt section and responsive graphite to give you solid hooksets and the ability to move heavy fish out of heavy cover. This rod can handle monofilament or super-braids with power to spare. When you get flushed by a monster in a thick mat you'll have confidence in your equipment because you bought a rod created by Loomis for that exact situation. Not only will this rod cast your frog perfectly and provide plenty of power for a solid hookset, it will also get more fish in the boat since the perfectly designed taper makes the Loomis Frog Rod the right tool to fight and control big bass. If summer means throwing frogs and rats to you, you owe yourself the best rod for the job.

G. Loomis Frog Casting 863C 7'2" Med Hvy
Lure Weight: 3/8-1ozIn Stock:
12/12/07Price: $220.00Qty FRG863C 10-20 pound line. The frog on the label say it all, a frog rod created by the world's best rod manufacturer.

Tackle Warehouse: $220.00

Well?

-LL-
Old 12-05-07, 06:24 PM   #31
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post

-LL-
Lets not start a political war on the frog rod post. Why would anyone spend that much money on a friggin froggin rod ? I am missing the concept of a high dollar frog rod , when all is needed is a heavy actioned rod that will take alot of abuse when winching the glob of slop and fish to the boat, that the reel stays fastened on the rod.A $15.00 saltwater rod would work, for there is no need for high dollar rod sensitivity ? Puzzled and jaded.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:15 PM   #32
garry_3000

Quote:

-LL-
The Pfluger reels are made buy shakespear and well that just dont say quality to me.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:16 PM   #33
weaverml34

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
Hello, I also live about five min from the outdoorsman but dont shop there one of my spon. Is www.honeycreektackle.com that is who I get 80% of my tackle from.
That's the company Jason started if I remember correctly. He's a really nice guy, miss seeing him at the Outdoorsman. I need to kick some business his way. Right now all my fishing money is going to restoring an old fishing boat so I can get out on the water next Spring.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:21 PM   #34
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mine was like $85 custom ordered..true you can use a tuna stick if ya had to..but a frog stick is a kin to a jerkbait rod or top water stick.. you want a long, light weight rod that wont wear your azz out in 10 mintues a stick with plenty of back bone,and a soft tip -the perfect pitching rod- even though mine is a graphite rod feel is NOT as important as the ability to work the bait RIGHT..

zooker
Old 12-05-07, 09:31 PM   #35
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Lets not start a political war on the frog rod post. Why would anyone spend that much money on a friggin froggin rod ? I am missing the concept of a high dollar frog rod , when all is needed is a heavy actioned rod that will take alot of abuse when winching the glob of slop and fish to the boat, that the reel stays fastened on the rod.A $15.00 saltwater rod would work, for there is no need for high dollar rod sensitivity ? Puzzled and jaded.
I agree. Just like PNJ said you don't need $200 of sensitivity for a frog rod. All you need is a rod that will stand up to any slop.
PNJ, you know how it goes, it has to be a "high end" brand for it to work. St. Croixs are nice rods, but for frogs, a $15 special at walmart is all you need.
Old 12-05-07, 09:32 PM   #36
lunker-lander

Well PNJ, why so expensive? I can name almost all day, but let's just name a few:
1) St.Croix has some of the lightest rods around; this rod, the Legend Tournament Bass "Slop-N-Frog", only weighs 4.4 ounces...

2) Each St.Croix is hand crafted in the USA; forms American jobs...

3) Each St.Croix rod comes with a 1, 5, or Lifetime warranty; the Slop-N-Frog has a Lifetime warranty...

4) You can pay an extra $50 upon payment to cover stepped on, neglected, or slammed-in-cardoor rods...

Get the idea? For me, it's get what you pay for. Spend a lot, get a lot.

-LL-
Old 12-05-07, 09:41 PM   #37
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Well PNJ, why so expensive? I can name almost all day, but let's just name a few:
1) St.Croix has some of the lightest rods around; this rod, the Legend Tournament Bass "Slop-N-Frog", only weighs 4.4 ounces...

2) Each St.Croix is hand crafted in the USA; forms American jobs...

3) Each St.Croix rod comes with a 1, 5, or Lifetime warranty; the Slop-N-Frog has a Lifetime warranty...

4) You can pay an extra $50 upon payment to cover stepped on, neglected, or slammed-in-cardoor rods...

Get the idea? For me, it's get what you pay for. Spend a lot, get a lot.

-LL-
Well yeah, but for a SLOP ROD... anyways for 15 dollars you can just buy a new one instead of the whole warranty thing and hassle of St. Croix customer service... but I see your point. I'm just talkin from a cheap kid's perspective, if you have the money, go right ahead. No need to argue over a rod
Old 12-05-07, 09:54 PM   #38
lunker-lander

With previous experience, St.croix has never hassled me in Customer Service, but we all are entitled to our own opinion...

-LL-
Old 12-05-07, 11:37 PM   #39
Bender

I'll make you a heck of a deal on a Team All Star Big Boy, which will horse a bass out of any cover. Although I think it is too heavy for anything around here, let me know if you are interested. It is a 7' Extra Heavy IIRC, I can check in the morning.
Here they are: http://www.allstarrods.com/as_teambigboys.html
Not the best for casting though, since it doesn't flex.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 03:11 AM   #40
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used the Lamiglas frog rod(725) and grew to hate it in short order. The handle is way too short to generate the kind of leverage you want to snatch big donks out of the the thick stuff. I switched over to the Daiwa L/T frog rod, and could not be happier. It's longer(7'4") and lighter than the Lamiglas, and has a softer tip, with more backbone. They are pretty inexpensive too, at $129.

As for a reel, you have no need of a fancy smooth drag, as it will be locked down tight. Just look for one that will cast a good long way. No need for a super high speed reel either. I use my oldest most beat up Curado, and have no probs at all. Load up with 50 or 65 pound braid. 30 works, but I've seen it snap too many times on my partner fishing in primrose and reeds. The 30 just seems to not shock very well. I use 65 pound and know some folks even use 80.

It's kind of funny that my frog rod catches a lot of my biggest fish through the year, but is by far the least expensive outfit in my boat.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 11:22 AM   #41
lunker-lander

Thanks for that Rev. I too was looking at a Curado. Cabela's has a $50 rebate good until the 30th of April on their Shimano Curado's, and a $30 rebate on their Citica's. I like the Curado because it has the high, 7.1:1 gear ration.

-LL-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.