Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-08, 01:55 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bass Beds?

I am fairly new to fishing. I know enough to catch some every now and then but I am trying to learn more so my time is not wasted when I decide to go to the private lakes that I have access to.

What exactly do the bass beds look like and what time of the year will you see them in the lakes? If someone can post a picture that would be even better. Thanks.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 06:36 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey fishinngolfn (like bothomas said, give up da club thing,lol), what lake are you fishin? i grew up just north of you. fished guntersville, smith lake all my life. now i am back after almost 20 yrs from south bamy. anyway...the bass ain't bedding anymore. they are out hunting for food pal. when fishing ANY body of water in bama (just like any body of water anywhere for that matter), look for fallen trees, millfoil, lily pads, logs, rocks and so forth. the bass will be hiding under, in and around those structures. waiting for "bait", or food to come close enough so that they can ambush it and eat it. tell me what kind of water aka; clear,muddy etc. and i'll see if i can help out. would be really great if you can post some pics of the lake, showing the banks and stuff. this time of the year it is hot and hades. so it might be a slow go using lizards, and worms and spinnerbaits (slow rolling). real early in the morning, use a buzzbait, chatterbait, poppers, spooks and other topwater lures. tell me a little more info and i'll see what i can find for ya.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 07:25 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

Thanks for the info. I fish several private lakes that are clear to "semi dark". I also like to fish Lake Purdy south of 119. I put on some chest waders and walk out into the water to get to some better areas since bank fishing on Purdy is almost none existent. I usually fish white flukes and cotton candy lizards. These have been producing some 2 pounders in the private lakes. I also fish the snake and top water soft belly floating frogs.

I figured the bass were not bedding anymore. I just don't know what the beds look like. I have been fishing with some buddies a few months ago and they would say "Go down there and you will see some beds." I just didn't know what to look for and forgot to ask them what they look like. I guess I could wait until next year to look and ask them.

As far as advice, I am always listening for advice so any you have would be greatly welcomed. I just finished respooling my spinning rod with braided line and can't wait to go out and try it. I have always had problems with curling and twisting of my mono line. I am going to Brantley Lake (private lake in Alabaster) on Friday night. It is semi clear and is stocked with Bass, blue gill, and catfish. I only fish for the Bass there and have recently been pretty lucky with twitching a white ice super fluke with the tail dipped in chartreuse Spike It.
Old 06-18-08, 07:37 PM   #4
JB

heres an example of a bass on the bed. Most of the time they will find sand to make the bed, but if nones around they make do .
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 07:56 PM   #5
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great Pic Jb
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:51 PM   #6
bamabassman

great pic jb. there ya go man. semi clear to muddy....hhhmmmmm. clear use the spinner bait, white to yellow and sometimes a dark blue will work real late in the evening. looks like a shadow. worms will kill em on private lakes. try to post some pics and we'll tell ya where to find em...that is as best as we can .
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 10:26 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Thanks for the pic. I will try to remember to take some pics of the lake next time I go.
Old 06-18-08, 11:21 PM   #8
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you sell those taylormade sticks and you can buy lots of new fishing rods....lol...I hear,,,,,,is that,,,,,,sounds like,,,,,,,,,somekind of chimp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's a Monkey!!
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 11:50 PM   #9
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

fishngolf what kind of snake do u use. is it the expenvive one from the bass professor.
Old 06-19-08, 09:17 AM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
fishngolf what kind of snake do u use. is it the expenvive one from the bass professor.
Yes but I have not used them yet. I have just thrown one out in the water to see how it moves. I moves just like the videos and website say it does. It is extremely lifelike. All of the lakes that I fish at have some good cover and probably have some big bass in them but I just can't get to those spots from the bank. I need a small boat for access.

There is a good spot where some friends of mine have caught a few 5 pounders from the bank last week but I didn't get to go with them that time. We are trying to make another trip out there in the coming weeks. When I do go, I will let you know how the snake performs and hopefully post a picture of the monster that I land.
Old 06-19-08, 08:46 PM   #11
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

good luck i want some of those snakes but they like way to much
Old 06-23-08, 11:14 AM   #12
doc

They actually look good in the water, and ive caught a few fish on them. The only drawback to them is that they cast like ****.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 11:24 AM   #13
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

how many bass ususally survive from spawn to spawn on their own?
Old 06-23-08, 11:27 AM   #14
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
They actually look good in the water, and ive caught a few fish on them. The only drawback to them is that they cast like ****.

I found that out this weekend. I didn't fish them hardly at all, since it was much easier to catch fish with a super fluke (at least it was easier at the lake I was at). Sometimes you just have to go with what works. I was just not patient enough with the snakes this time.

There is another area along Lay Lake that I plan on using them in July. Lots of lilly pad cover and I have seen some big bass there this year.

The snakes are difficult to cast. I use a two hand flip with them in an attempt to prevent backlash.
Old 06-23-08, 03:46 PM   #15
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i'd try throwing one with a spinning reel... idk seems i can get just as much distance with anything else with a spinning..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.