Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-11, 03:37 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Contact lens users

Fellas I have been wearing contact lenses for almost 20 years now. I am going to give you a tip for those that don't take them out regularly. I went to Israel this past month to work in the Mediterranean Sea. When I got over there I had a horrible cold and sinus attack. I couldn't hear out of ny right ear for a week and my eyes began to get super blurry, dry, and it looked like I had been in the shed smoking ham for a week. I started taking my contacts out nightly, but I noticed my eye sight had diminished over a few days. I figure it was just head pressure. But it didn't return and still hasn't to what it once was. I got Flea to make me an appointment when I got in the other day and here is what the doc told me. He asked how long I was wearing them at a time. I told him I was ashamed because I know better, but I would leave them in sometimes for well over a month and I wouldn't be lying if I said over 2 months at a time. He told me the vessels have started trying to enter the iris and cornea to get oxygen wear my contacts cover my eye. The vessels have my cornea swollen and distorted and he could not give me a new prescription because of the swelling. While he said the damage is done and not reversible, the only thing I can do is take them out more often, no longer then 3 days. He said if I continue to wear then for extended periods, the vessels will continue to grow and eventually go across my pupil. This will lead to blurry and double vision. And if one of the vessels were ever damaged, it would result in needing a cornea transplant. Now I have to wait 2 weeks and then I go back and hope my cornea has returned to normal so I can get my prescription straightened out.
I know it is a long post, but I figured I would let you guys know that don't take your contacts out regularly what will probably eventually happen. I know it is nice go wake up and see clear. But I would rather wake up to a blur compared to darkness.
Old 08-29-11, 07:07 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dang Garey, thats awfull! I'm glad you posted your experience as I known so many people over the years who do the same thing and wear their contacts much longer than they should. I hope your eyes improve more than the doc thinks they will. Would it be better for you to wear glasses instead of contacts for now?
Old 08-29-11, 09:45 AM   #3
MississippiBoy

Man, that's tough, Bubba. My eye doctor got on to me because I would wear the same lenses for too long. I took them out every night, but I'd keep using the same lenses until they got too uncomfortable, then I'd swap and use a new pair for maybe 6 months. He looked at my eyes and told me the same thing...they were swollen, so he had to guesstimate my new prescription, and showed me where the blood vessels are starting to grow into my iris.
What he told me was even more cautious than what yours told you. He said take them out every night like I've been doing, but try to do it early enough in the evening that I'll be awake for an hour or so after taking them out, so my eyes can breathe. He also said not to wear the same ones for more than 2 days. Basically, put new ones in on Monday, take them out that night, wear them Tuesday, then throw them away and break out new ones on Wednesday. He said the generally accepted recommendation is 2 weeks, but he said he sees a lot fewer problems with this 2 day schedule than with the 2 week deal.
It really surprises me that your doctor said it would be ok to wear them constantly for up to 3 days. My doctor told me absolutely 100% not to sleep with them in. He told me the cells on the surface of your eye slough off and get caught in the pores of the contact, and start decaying. Your eyes then start having an allergic reaction to the decaying cells, making them swell.

Take care of your eyes...they're the only ones you've got....
Old 08-29-11, 11:24 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Man what a bummer. I don't wear contacts but Britney does and she is bad about wearing the same pair too long like Daniel, although I don't think her doctor said anything about it to her yet. Sorry about your eyes Curado, hopefully they will do better for you than the doc expected.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 04:15 AM   #5
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That's crazy but I guess it makes sense that it would do that. I can't wear mine when I sleep, it feels like someone poured dust in my eyes when I wake up in the morning!
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 01:46 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Aw man that sucks Bubba!...Sorry to hear that..My wife is doing what Daniel and Korndog mentioned...Wearing out one little pair.
I have to pass this info along.

Hope it gets better!
Old 09-01-11, 06:52 PM   #7
1/4 stick

I think I'll stick to glasses, even when I need em for more than reading. I'm ugly as it is, glasses can only help cover some of that up. lol
Old 09-01-11, 08:36 PM   #8
bamabassman

so very sorry bubba and oyu too daniel. i wear glasses.....i jsut can't see putting something in my eye. it's like poking my eye, jsut can't do it. hope ya'll get better though for real. i want to have the surgery when and if i can ever afford it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.