Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-07, 05:52 AM   #26
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbruessow@msn.com View Post
A lot of guys here with lots of money! I started tournament fishing about 24 years ago in Florida and started out with Shimanos and Daiwas. Nice reels, but I switched to Ambassedeurs about 8 years ago. I use the C series with magnetics for those windy days. They are tough reels with lots of winching power and cast pretty good. I imagine they won't cast as far as the high end 300-500 jobs, but since your a beginner, you will be turning up that friction knob to prevent backlashes and that will limit your casting for the 1st year or more anyhow.

I've used Lightning rods many years ago, Lews speed sticks, Fenwicks, but it's very hard to beat Allstar rods for the money. Try a 6-6 or 6-8 MH Allstar paired with the Ambassedeur, and you got a tough, sensitive and reasonably priced outfit for a beginner.

I'd spend the money I saved on sharp hooks like Gammies, quality lures like Zoom, Rapala, and quality line!
It sounds like you need to upgrade your equipment as well.You came to the right place to get suggestions. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 04:10 PM   #27
Raul

Itīs not that I have a lot of money, Itīs just that my last funcional brain cell popped like a popcorn the day I purchased my first Japanese lure, nowdays when I see the price tag on something the price somehow doesnīt look THAT bad.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 07:55 PM   #28
pig n jig

Being crazy is not a requirement, but it certainly does help. Megabass lures are my favorite. The detail is absolutely fantastic.They also catch fish.I have got to admit, the Shimano triple impact has worked extremely well for me, something they haven't ever seen here on the pressured lakes.
Old 11-08-07, 09:14 PM   #29
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

"THE ROD" EC70MHF Legend Elite From St Croix
http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/defa...0&section=spin

"THE REEL" Shimao Castaic.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1

Now I know the reel isn't really exspensive, but I have had 3 of the Shimano Calais's, and I still prefer the Castaic. It's lightweight, and has the locking thumbar that I just love. The drag is as good as they get, and the variable breaking system is my preferred breaking system. Fishing the combination of this rod and reel, is almost as good as sex! I actually don't have the MH rod, I have the Heavy rod, I use for pitching, into the heavy stuff, but the MH is a better all around rod for bassing IMO, but I have a 7' MH G-Loomis GLX I also use. I still prefer the St Croix over the GLX anyday of the week, but it's really personal preference for most folks.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 11-08-07 at 09:22 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 01:29 PM   #30
Raul

If you like the Castaic then you need to try out the Core MGFV, same Instagage System but a lot sleeker, Dartanium drag, ARB bearings, further lightened spool, big knobs, High Efficiency Gearing and a killer look:

Old 11-09-07, 06:58 PM   #31
pig n jig

Even the Castaic has slimmed down alot from the ones I had many years ago.I didn't have much good luck with them, but those old red bantam curados were real workhorses for me back then.Its the new H.E.G. system that won me back with Shimano.It's funny most people hate it because of the extra weight, but I think it's the best design to come along in quite some time.Lizzy the new Castaics, are super free as well for $169. P N J
Old 11-16-07, 06:45 PM   #32
RetiredandFishin
BassFishin.Com Member

All this talk about these new reels makes me want to go down and buy one immediately. I took my old Ambassador 5000 out to the lake a couple of days ago and it just didnt do the job like it did back in the 70's...........guess I'll stop being a piker and bite the bullet..That Core MGFV is a nice looking reel. Is it worth the price?
Good information, guys

Last edited by RetiredandFishin; 11-16-07 at 07:09 PM.
RetiredandFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 07:29 PM   #33
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Old style equipment = Success

Not all old style equipment is bad as long as it's built with quality materials and design. My girlfriend with 2 of our largest fish at a tournament in Sarasota Florida. We won using Ambassedeurs (C series), allstar, and Rapala #9 shadrap silver blackback and Zoom trick worm junebug Carolina rigged. See the results from the local tackle store's website: http://mrbsfishinhole.com/id13.html

The reels cast well, hold up well and rods are sensitive/strong. Look for Paul B and Anna M in the results (20 + pounds for 5 fish).

P.S.- Lost only 1 small fish on the crankbait. All Carolina fish were hooked real well, and the drag performed flawlessly on the 6+ pounder (as well as on the other larger fish)!

Last edited by pbruessow@msn.com; 11-16-07 at 07:36 PM.
pbruessow@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 08:01 PM   #34
3dkicker

Raul - Just wondered about your opinion on the Loomis BCFR894 Mossyback?

Got a chance to play with one for a couple minutes this summer. Fell in love with the feel of a 1oz Tru Tungsten D.B. flippin weight, a Paca Craw Jr, and 20lb Flouro line.

Might be my only big upgrade/purchase ($265) this winter.
Old 11-16-07, 08:26 PM   #35
Raul

Sorry Kicker canīt comment on the Mossybacks, donīt own or have fished with any of them. My experience with GLoomis is limited to GL2s, GL3s, IMXs and GLXs, been eyeballing the Crank and Spinnerbait series but ...... somehow I canīt find an excuse to get one .

Whenever I look at another rod ( even though Iīve got the BM yelling at my ear ) I ask to myself if I really need another one.

Well, that was until the day before yesterday when I found out that Reeds Sports had the St Croix Leyend Elite 40% off the regular price plus free shipping , BM got me with 4 rods.

I "saved" about 500 dollars ...... man, you can easily go broke "saving"
Old 11-20-07, 09:54 PM   #36
3dkicker

If you happen to come across one don't pick it up and test it out!!! The BM will be ripping your ears off, crushing your skull and eating your brains. As a matter of fact just stay as far away from the rods as you can!
The only way I'm fighting him off is with an empty checking account and I've locked the credit card away for the winter but he's there, lurking, waiting...............
Old 11-21-07, 01:53 PM   #37
Raul

He can unlock the CC, itīs just a matter of patience, since you ainīt down here in the south heīs counting with cabin fever ....... do I need to explain more ?
Old 11-22-07, 04:06 PM   #38
3dkicker

Just read about the Mossyback's in the latest BASS Mag. Good review of them and the BM got all excited. It's a done deal, just got to save up the cash or make sure I have a good Richmond show. It'll make a nice b-day gift to myself!
Old 11-24-07, 09:40 PM   #39
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
need another one.

Well, that was until the day before yesterday when I found out that Reeds Sports had the St Croix Leyend Elite 40% off the regular price plus free shipping , BM got me with 4 rods.

I "saved" about 500 dollars ...... man, you can easily go broke "saving"

I'm super jealous, I would've jumped on that in a hearbeat

Lizards
Old 11-25-07, 06:26 PM   #40
pig n jig

http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=1637
Old 11-26-07, 06:06 PM   #41
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post

Unfortunately those Models are not anything I need or want. However I did look at some of their other models

Lizards
Old 11-26-07, 07:27 PM   #42
3dkicker

I made a little run down to Greentop in Ashland, Va over the weekend with a friend. He's been looking for a new cranking rod and the monkey already had a hold of him. We got to the rod section and I found the Loomis Mossybacks on SALE!!!! Yep, saw the Loomis BCFR894H Mossyback, which normally sells at $295 for $149.99. What??? Half off!!! That monkey started screaming and I broke down and the ol' credit card came out of lockdown and I made the purchase. How could I pass that up??? My buddy found his rod but it was a little more expesive than at G-Mt. but he still bought $60 worth of stuff anyways. Like I said, monkey has him!
It was a good trip. "Saved" $155 so now I need to pick up a new reel to go with it. That monkey is starting already!!!

Last edited by 3dkicker; 11-26-07 at 07:35 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 09:37 AM   #43
Bender

I went to BPS here in Orlando and handled those new Core reels. WOW! I like that 100Mg better than my Chronarch Mg, but at nearly $400 it is a little (or a lot) too expensive.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 12:15 PM   #44
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
It was a good trip. "Saved" $155 so now I need to pick up a new reel to go with it.
You can get several Shimano models at very good prices HERE plus free shipping .

Ya know, to keep the "saving" spirit alive.
Old 11-27-07, 08:50 PM   #45
3dkicker

I was shown the Daiwa Sheez and at 5.5 oz I thought I could crush it if I squeezed it too hard. Not bad for $449 though. Could have matched it with a rod we were shown that the blank weighed only 4 oz. That rod was somewhere around $499 (I forget the brand and model - really didn't matter once I saw the price). Combo price $948 w/o 5% tax . I wonder if they would have given me 10% off??? You know, for the "saving".

R - I did see that their Fat CB's were $12.50 and not the normal $14.99 or $15.99 I see everywhere else. I'll work on the reel at the show. I've got plenty of time unless fall into a deal like the one I came across the other day. Not too often you come across Loomis rods for %50 off.
Old 11-27-07, 10:08 PM   #46
WTL

Da moast expinsive comboz r tha best get the steez r da castic cuz dey r purty ncie

My sincere recomendation is this. Match your setup according the weight and type of lures you want to be casting first. Do not go with a rod that is too heavy, just like a spinning outfit you want the recoil of the rod to be casting the lure - you don't want to throw the lure like a baseball. Some of the more expensive reels are great, but might be too fast for a begninner. Would you have wanted to learn to drive a car in a Ferrari? Well, yes...maybe you would have liked the shot as a teenager...but after you crashed the thing or got marooned on a speedbump maybe you would have decided that a minivan is better for learning. Same thing here.

I have a BPS Extreme reel (the smallest one) matched up on a 7 foot light action Castaway rod that I think is the perfect setup to learn on. I think a magnetic brake might be better in your situation.

All this I say from experience. I learned the wrong way - Abu 5000 C and MH Fiberglass Pistol Grip Lews Speed Sticks. It taught me how to avoid a backlash yes, but it also contributed to some bad habits in casting form.
Old 11-28-07, 08:33 PM   #47
3dkicker

The Loomis is a flippin rod for 1oz weights in grass.

What would you buy?
Old 11-29-07, 08:46 PM   #48
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester
Cool

In my opinion, I would definately go with a Shimano reel and Loomis rod. If you ever get a chance, pick up one of the new Shimano Core's. I have 2 of them already and absolutely love them. I also have a Chronarch 50 Mg and the casting difference and smoothness is well worth it.

The Core also has the High Efficiency Gearing which gives you wayyyyy more control over a bigger fish. The reel weighs .2 oz. more than the Chronarch 50 Mg which isn't saying much because the Core's 6.1 oz. is still unreal. It has a little more line capacity than the Chronarch Mg as well.

It is pretty steep from a price stand point at $349.99, but it is a premier reel. You will absolutely love it. It is a dream to fish with and you never get fatigued when throwing it. That being said, as mentioned above, the Curado 100D is an excellent reel as well for a much cheaper price.....Get a Shimano, Daiwa's are horrible, Quantum's are good, but heavy, and Pflueger's are made by Shakespeare if that tells you anything...so are BPS.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your first baitcaster....
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:50 AM   #49
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleTester View Post
Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your first baitcaster....
TT - Thanks for the suggestion. Not my first baitcaster though. I still have my first baitcaster (my father bought me almost 30 years ago).

I have a Shimano Scorpion that I'm thinking of using but just wanted to see what others, WTL and Raul, had in mind for the rod and technique. I also have a couple Curado's that I can use too.
Old 11-30-07, 02:09 PM   #50
Raul

If you need a more powerful drag for the Scorpion you can always upgrade it and for a few dollars youīll get a great reel with a monster drag. Carbontex drag pads from Smoothdrag will turn your Scorpion into a burgundy mean fishinī machine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.