Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-11, 10:15 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't feel sorry for me, Tav. The world needs people who don't take everything at face value too. We all have our place.

I just feel sorry for the people who bought tickets to see her fall down drunk on stage all night.
Old 08-25-11, 10:19 PM   #27
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Dom..."paying homage" is a brief tip of the hat...not basing your entire career on pretending to be someone else, caucasian, negro, hispanic, oriental, martian, whatever.
Miles Davis spent hours learning how to have the same posture as Mr. Armstrong and played that way always

I wore Sharkskin suits for a few years after seeing Booker T, Otis Redding and Muddy Waters wear them these me were like Gods to me. It took a while to understand that practice anf gigging was going to get me where i wnated to be nd not just the suit. In the long run I dressed the way the musicans I played with did, it was just too cool not ot.

Willie Mays swung his bat like Josh Gibson, he studied it over and over

It's not only about paying homage, for me to take the music forward I found I had to immerse myself in it's history

Some art forms become life styles
Her error, like mine was she was fighting demons, and looked to but a small portion of the life style, only I got to live to figure it out
....pride in heritige, they all sound alike.....I recognize these phrases I see them all the time in racial writings
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:22 PM   #28
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It was what she did and how she did it. Who cares if she sounded black or white, english or american. That was how she decided to sing and what she put out there and a lot of people liked what and how she did it.
Old 08-25-11, 10:25 PM   #29
nofearengineer

Dom, you're messing this up by talking about things like hunching over whilst blowing on a horn, or holding a bat...neither of these traits could conceivably be a "racial thing."

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...in moderation. Taken further it's kind of sad.
Old 08-25-11, 10:27 PM   #30
Tavery5

Quote:
Don't feel sorry for me, Tav. The world needs people who don't take everything at face value too. We all have our place.

I just feel sorry for the people who bought tickets to see her fall down drunk on stage all night.

Cool, I too feel sorry for the people who had to witness that, while I enjoyed her music I would not have paid the money to see her in person, I found her particular style somewhat repulsive.
Old 08-25-11, 10:29 PM   #31
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
Well put sir! I had to put down my drum sticks when I got clean , I used the whole time I played,in fact i used for 27 years
19 years and some months ago, I got clean, started to and still make meetings, and part of the process was giving some stuff up. For me drumming was connected directly to using. I finally feel somewhat safe about trying to play again, after 20 years I dread what thats going to sound like!
Anyways musican's should not be given certain privligies and buys in life nor should they be given more severe judgement , addiction can strike any one and in any economic and social class
I been the opposite, I finally started to learn to play guitar after I quit. Not that good at it and haven't played in any bands or anything. But after I stopped drinking I needed something to keep me occupied. Learning how to bend some strings is the only thing that's held my attention.

Not sure how addicted I was/am to the booze. Never went to any meetings except between me and God. Doc said one more sip of beer could be what kills me, and that was it for me and booze. This October will be 6 years without a drink, and have yet to have a craving for it that the memory of my liver failure and that biopsy didn't get rid of. lol
Old 08-25-11, 10:31 PM   #32
Ebbetsguy

Really good! However you stopped I am grateful you found your way, keep iot going and good luck with your playing. Playing was one of the great things in my life I took for granted.
Old 08-25-11, 10:35 PM   #33
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Dom, you're messing this up by talking about things like hunching over whilst blowing on a horn, or holding a bat...neither of these traits could conceivably be a "racial thing."

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...in moderation. Taken further it's kind of sad.
Thats right not a racial thing . but the continuity of style
Style and method are learned by habit and become what you do. I always played heel down on my kick drum, when i moved to New Orleans I learned how to play with no shoes on and heel up, gave that fat shuffle groove the feel I ahd searched for. I was mimicing swing drummers from the North, then i got to New Orleans and my playing became what I wanted it too. Played shoeless and heeels up the rest of my playing days
If I was a singer I would try to be Ray Charles , not Pat Boone!

You still did not answer the who sounds what in all those versions of Gershiwn's Summertime, because you can't using your " non politically correct" way and come out right

There are so many singers when listened to blind, of all races and nationalities you could not pin down, it blows that whole line of thinking out of the water. Well it's off to work for me
Old 08-25-11, 10:41 PM   #34
nofearengineer

Dom...you should really check out this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

Moreso than the song, the video itself represents what I'm talking about. Form before function.

And how "style" becomes a trap, for those who decide to play it safe, and those who buck musical fashion.

Hint: The Amy Winehouse we all got to see was the bouncing fake clown out front, and the Amy Winehouse we'll never get to hear was the true artist behind the curtain, willingly accepting the sentence.

My comments were really nothing more sinister than this.
Old 08-25-11, 10:44 PM   #35
Ebbetsguy

Ah Thats not blues, thats European in Origins, more like The Sweet Hills of Virginia Sound, it's a sound form the hippie Generation of the 60's! Which I like, I own this record They call themselves bluestraveler and just because thats a mouth harp that does not make it blues What about the 3 vesrions of Summertime?
Old 08-25-11, 10:53 PM   #36
nofearengineer

Dom, is there a point to your little quiz?

Remember, I am not 20, and I was a pro musician too. Even without Google, I know most of the people you know.

Anne Brown was black.
George Gershwin was jewish.
Tom Waits is drunk.

Why do you keep bringing up opera? It's just as artificial as anything else, so I don't see how that supports your point, whatever your point may be.

Gershwin wrote it, sure...again, the point?

Tom Waits is actually more along the lines of what I'm talking about. He does talk the same way he sings...incoherently.
Old 08-25-11, 10:56 PM   #37
Top Tiger

I'm a big Tom Waits fan. Loved "Nighthawks of the diner". But on the other side of the coin, I guess Lena Horne was another with identity issues.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:59 PM   #38
Ebbetsguy

He has been in recovery for some time now. He has written some of the most popular songs for several artists, Like the Eagles and Springsteen. Dont try and dismiss him, but really Bryce at this point I am dismissing my slef because I have found through my life there is no greater waste of time than trying to get a racist to just tell the truth about who they are and what they feel, and I am not sorry for saying so,enjoy your world Mr.Professional older than 20 o know it all, your wrong all so wrong and i am glad to have finally met the real you The Summertime Quiz: it was to prove my point, using your idea that if you close your eyes you can tell someones race. You can tell if they are from the North, south or East and west coasts, you can tell if they re From Brooklyn or the Bronx, only a racist would say she sounds like Aunt jemima in a condesending tone, as the say in Brooklyn
Case Closed mook
Old 08-25-11, 11:04 PM   #39
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tiger View Post
I'm a big Tom Waits fan. Loved "Nighthawks of the diner". But on the other side of the coin, I guess Lena Horne was another with identity issues.
favorite line from that collection
I know a girl who has been married so many times she has rice marks all over her face
Old 08-25-11, 11:04 PM   #40
nofearengineer

Omg, you called me a "mook". That's racist.
Old 08-25-11, 11:13 PM   #41
1/4 stick

Maybe I'm naive, or just a idjiot. Just seems like a chic with some tats making bank singing a few tunes to me. And doing a pretty good job of it.
Old 08-25-11, 11:14 PM   #42
Top Tiger

Quote:
favorite line from that collection
I know a girl who has been married so many times she has rice marks all over her face
Don't have to ask permission
If I wanna go out fishin
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 11:21 PM   #43
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Omg, you called me a "mook". That's racist.
Actually my boat has TWO MOOKS IN A BOAT written on it
I am aslo am member of the South Brooklyn Mooks Society
in Brooklyn that means a lot of things, mostly one of the fellas
So that is not a racist term, you ever notice that Spike Lee uses this term a lot in his movies, he is from the next neighborhood over, Fort Greene.

The term was first used in Brooklyn when Ed Norton Called Raplh Cramden this in the Honey mooners, since the show was about Brooklyn it caught on

Later on in the Pool Hall fight scene in MEAN STREETS, Scorcess has the TV on ,in the back round and its got that scene from the Honeymoenrs playing when the line is said": Hey Paulie he called me a mook; Whats a Mook?"

Then it really took off especially in Park Slope, South Brooklyn and Down Town

Now it has many meanings , some derogatory ,none racist
Suit Mook; Lawyer or Banker
Stoop Mook: the Unemployed
Whats up Mook; one of the fellas
That was a mook move; somehtin thats stupid but funny

so how do you get racisism out of that?
Old 08-25-11, 11:26 PM   #44
nofearengineer

Quote:
Whoa...sometimes it is that easy.

I hope you get my point.

Dom, let's not muddy this thread any more than we already have The OP apparently liked Amy Winehouse a lot, wanted to say his peace, and I'm not going to punish him any more for my boredom.
Old 08-25-11, 11:26 PM   #45
1/4 stick

Quote:
Actually my boat has TWO MOOKS IN A BOAT written on it
I am aslo am member of the South Brooklyn Mooks Society
in Brooklyn that means a lot of things, mostly one of the fellas
So that is not a racist term, you ever notice that Spike Lee uses this term a lot in his movies, he is from the next neighborhood over, Fort Greene.

The term was first used in Brooklyn when Ed Norton Called Raplh Cramden this in the Honey mooners, since the show was about Brooklyn it caught on

Later on in the Pool Hall fight scene in MEAN STREETS, Scorcess has the TV on ,in the back round and its got that scene from the Honeymoenrs playing when the line is said": Hey Paulie he called me a mook; Whats a Mook?"

Then it really took off especially in Park Slope, South Brooklyn and Down Town

Now it has many meanings , some derogatory ,none racist
Suit Mook; Lawyer or Banker
Stoop Mook: the Unemployed
Whats up Mook; one of the fellas
That was a mook move; somehtin thats stupid but funny

HA!!! I'm a southern redneck mook!!!
Old 08-25-11, 11:38 PM   #46
Ebbetsguy

Sorry she did not find recovery; but she sure sounded good in this;

http://youtu.be/b-I2s5zRbHg

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.