Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-09, 11:12 PM   #1
slimbo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wot

hey guys hope someone can answer this. i dont have a tach and i shorted out my trim gauge. so is the old saying that after you plane and start to pick up speed hold down the trim button till she starts to bounce then back it down to smooth then you are WOT
slimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 01:42 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

wide open throttle is when the boat is trimmed to the sweet spot and running balls out as fast as she will go. you can trim it too high or not high enough but every boat has that sweet spot where rpms, water pressure, and speed all come together.

at least that is what i consider wot
Old 04-09-09, 09:54 AM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

If you start running on plane, trim the motor up, and start bouncing up and down, then you are trimmed up too high. The term is called, "porpoising" (like a dolphin). I'm no professional boat racer, but I would think you'd never want to purposefully make your boat porpoise, even if it's just temporarily.

Most bass boats will porpoise for two reasons... you're either trimmed up too high, or your trimmed up too high for the speed you are running at. My 21' Triton will porpoise if I try to run at 30mph with my motor trimmed at WOT (wide open throttle) trim height. Generally speaking, you need to trim down more the slower you go.

WOT merely means pushing the throttle to 100%. It's achieved by simply maxing your hot foot or putting the hammer down on your hand throttle.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 07:33 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When a boat is running all out..WOT......your supposed to be of course at max rpm's and the roostertail should be no higher than the cowel on your engine.........Now that goes with saying that the boat is setup propely.
Old 04-10-09, 01:02 PM   #5
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
When a boat is running all out..WOT......your supposed to be of course at max rpm's and the roostertail should be no higher than the cowel on your engine.........Now that goes with saying that the boat is setup propely.
Absolutly true! I can't help but think in my head when I see a boat go by throwing a huge rooster tail, "THERE GOES A SHOW OFF"!!!

But hey, it really does look cool!!!!!

You can lose as much as 5 MPH by over trimming!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.